Tips on removing stripped allen bolt?

NorCal88

Hi all,

I was getting ready to change out my auto locking hubs for manual. It seems whoever touched the hubs last over torqued the allen bolts. After twisting up 3 allen wrenches to break them all free. The very last bolt head stripped on me(of course the last one!). So now I have one bolt preventing me from doing the swap. Was gonna try vise grips but it seems like I won't get much bite on the head of the bolt.

I just went through this today as well. I actually had some cheapo torx sockets from Harbor Freight. I hammered one into the bolt and got it out that way. I think it was a T45 for size if that helps. Finding a replacement bolt was my problem, no local fastener place carried that size. Its a M8x1.25 and should be like 63mm long. I ended up snagging some from the junkyard.

Where in Norcal? I'm in Redding.

Edited by Trogdor636
  • Like 1

I had that happen to me on a different car for the harmonic balancer. I ended using a bolt extractor like in the picture below to remove it. All you do is hammer on one that just fits on then turn it anticlockwise. Good luck.
bolt-extractors-802.jpg

I tend to just break them off then piss and moan as I try to drill them out. Seriously though, I would slot the head and hope it holds to a screwdriver without snapping off one of the edges. If that happens, you could try the weld solution or drill it out. Good luck.

I stripped a bolt for the coilpacks when I was changing my spark plugs. I tried various easy-outs, but the ones that ended up working were a black and decker set. The difference was the reverse thread was a much higher thread per inch, and it bit more into the hole I drilled in the end of the bolt.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/black-decker-screw-extractor-set-5-pieces-16270-s.html#.UNu7Z6w8CSo

You should be able to find them at Home Depot.

Best of luck . . . I hate when this happens.

• 2 weeks later...

T-45 torx bit worked perfect. Think it might have cost me the bit though. Gonna be hard to get it back out after the 3lb sledge . Its worth it though. Thanks all.

Funny thing is it still took a 1/2 inch breaker to get it free.

T-45 torx bit worked perfect. Think it might have cost me the bit though. Gonna be hard to get it back out after the 3lb sledge . Its worth it though. Thanks all.

Sounds about right! :headwall:

:lol:

Good to hear! I think my bit isn't too bad, but it was like 7.99 for the set so I wasn't terribly heartbroken.