There comes a time that we have to part with our wd21's... its my time....

speedbuggy67

This forum has been so helpful over the years (over 7yrs for me) and i can honestly say i find it hard to believe i'll ever own a vehicle as reliable as my 92 pathfinder SE but its time i have to move onto something newer. A neighbor (77yr old) was practically giving away his 2006 frontier LE crew cab 4x4 with 174k miles on it and had to jump on it. It had the dreaded trans/radiator contamination issue which i flushed and is fixed since i cought it early. he bought a 2012 frontier sv crew cab to replace this current one. My pathfinder seemed to only need tires, brakes, and oil changes since i owned it EXCEPT for frame rust which was welded up twice, the last time was 2yrs ago and reboxed and done right (athough visualy not beautiful welds) and has 238k miles on her. Doesn't leak or burn anything!!! I just hope this frontier will be close to as reliable. The pathfinder got me through the dreaded NJ Sandy Hurricane, bumper deep in water, surviving when half my neighbors lost their cars ( i live a mile and ahalf from the ocean) even made a rescue of a family. It kills me to part with it but we all have to part with them at some point. My brohter in law has a 93 which he might sell and buy my 92 since i have more mods and brand new tires etc etc so it will live on in the family. Thanks to all of you the last 7+yrs..... i'll probably have the truck the next month or two or until he sells his 93 SE pathfinder. Sad day indeed! I'll continue on clubfrontier....

Scott

Sorry to hear, but I understand. Choices have to be made and nothing lasts forever. :shrug:

No odds of it sticking around as a second vehicle for when the next hurricane hits or the Fronty breaks down on you, eh?

Sorry... :hide:

Tell you BIL to buy it and sign up!

I'm glad you got some use out of the forum, that's what makes it worth the effort. I'm glad you made it through Sandy ok (what a mess!) and good luck with the Fronty. :aok:

B

THe forum was a big help, got some parts, even a 95xe parts truck aong the way. Put the JGC coils in, cranked torsion bars, even trans issues i had from day 1, but replaced with the lower mileage 95 transmission. My problem is i have a car addiction, 6 cars between my wife and i since i got the frontier something has to go. Wrx is the daily driver since april 2001, mint mint 86 celicasupra, 67 vw i redid from the ground up, the pathfinder, the frontier and "the wifes suv". I opened last months motor trend and there was an article about pathfinders and a 87 red was in the article and picture, made me feel even worse to get rid of the pathy. I have a 9 month old son and know the frontier should be safer too with airbags, abs that works, and child seat anchors and no rust on the frame. I have tons of spare parts and still will be around, just with a different ride...

Fair enough Bud, I have the same addiction. Technically 5 cars and 2 motorcycles for the wife and I (yeah, right, 5 for me!) so I can't and won't cast stones. ;)

67 vw i redid from the ground up

Now this you had better post pictures of or I will find you and... take pictures! :D

I have a 1978 convert in the garage awaiting (additional) love...

B

Fair enough Bud, I have the same addiction. Technically 5 cars and 2 motorcycles for the wife and I (yeah, right, 5 for me!) so I can't and won't cast stones. ;)

Now this you had better post pictures of or I will find you and... take pictures! :D

I have a 1978 convert in the garage awaiting (additional) love...

B

actualy in my dads garage we have a black 79 epilogue special edition triple black 68k orig miles orig paint engine etc.... never gets used i was supposed to sell it the last few years never got around to it...

I know what those look like, and that's worth mint in the condition you say!

I like the 67 as well! :aok:

My 78 has the stock motor; I'm stuck in Cali, I bought it knowing I had to smog it once and then it would be exempt, then they announced the exempt rollback was frozen at 1975. DAMN! It does have a lowered front, ghia disk brakes, centerline rims and some other goodies. I still need to pull the motor to fix the fuel system, install a carpet kit and re-upholster the seats. Some day... :rolleyes:

Picture001-1.jpg

B

• Like 1

The Fronty with the 4.0L should do you well, just watch the rear axle assembly for loosing fluid out the axle seals and cratering the differential on you. (If you kill the differential Mr Nissan lovingly makes you get an entire new rear end, cant get just the diff) If you see the seals leaking get them replaced before it goes bad.

We had a few more with that problem back then that I cared to see.

Looks like that blue one is an SE package?

The Fronty with the 4.0L should do you well, just watch the rear axle assembly for loosing fluid out the axle seals and cratering the differential on you. (If you kill the differential Mr Nissan lovingly makes you get an entire new rear end, cant get just the diff) If you see the seals leaking get them replaced before it goes bad.

We had a few more with that problem back then that I cared to see.

Looks like that blue one is an SE package?

Yes my 92 pathfinder is a SE, the frontier is a LE. Funny you mention the seals i already changed the oem diff breather and ran a 5/16 fuel line up to the taillight ending in a fuel filter to keep the air clean and not pressurize the diff like stock frontiers sometimes do. The frontier has open diffs and firestone destination LE's and i can't belive how aweful the traction is compared to the pathfinder with factory LSD and grabber at2's. THe timing chain on the fronty alreay wore through the guides and will soon be getting changed something all the 4.0's have to deal with as mileage increases. Sounds supercharged right now. Lastly i have the new radiator and bypassed the factory cooler in the rad and only use the external factory cooler. I think i covered all their flaws hopefully things will be smooth. Just debating the PRG lift or bilstein 5100's for the front and probably prg blocks for the rear. Not sure what size tires the fronty is going to get maybe "33's" or "32's"..... 285 are the common upgrade on 2nd gen frontiers. So far still learning..... and learning not much aftermarket support.... try to find a front bumper lightbar other then the westin bullbar crap or a reg brushguard...sigh..

Scott

I know what those look like, and that's worth mint in the condition you say!

I like the 67 as well! :aok:

My 78 has the stock motor; I'm stuck in Cali, I bought it knowing I had to smog it once and then it would be exempt, then they announced the exempt rollback was frozen at 1975. DAMN! It does have a lowered front, ghia disk brakes, centerline rims and some other goodies. I still need to pull the motor to fix the fuel system, install a carpet kit and re-upholster the seats. Some day... :rolleyes:

Picture001-1.jpg

B

nice bug!, i get all my parts from california, orange county. IN NJ emissions and inspection don't exist for anything over 25yrs old if you get historic plates. I wish i had more time to work on my bug, they always need something. not even sure what i could get for the 79 epiogue, when the market was better im sure 15+k was realistic but now is even 10 something to aim for?

Scott

Thanks, but it is still pretty rough. Yeah, there are a lot of sources in SoCal; CIP1, JBugs, etc. I can't recall the name of the drop strut parts I bought, but all top of the line stuff. I almost bought a 75 a few years back to get around the smog laws (I know how to make them run clean) but I still want to 'finish' this one and I am in NO MORE PROJECTS mode until I finish what I have.

I recall seeing the triple Blacks and triple Whites going for 18-23k depending on condition and factory parts. Of course it varies by location and economy, but they also increase the older they get. Check out TheSamba.com to get an idea. Even in far less than show car condition I've had people walk up to me at gas stations or stores and just say "how much?' and be serious. There is still a lot of love for the air cooled. :aok:

B

• 4 weeks later...

trucks gone... off to my brother in law..... headlight switch has gotten screwy again, im tired of taking it apart probably going to throw a used one in there..... frontier is in getting the timing chain guides done.

Scott

At least it is still in the family. Hopefully you won't have to be the mechanic or everything that goes wrong with it is your fault...

B

i hope your right..... doubtful about that though.... headlight switch spazzed and dash lights and taillights stopped working, he saw the dash go out didn't realize the taillights at night didn't work either until the county cop gave him a 55 dollar ticket.... unreal.....

Scott

Scott, make sure you also visit thenewx site, lots transfers over to the fronty's. let me know if you have any questions about PRG's stuff. I owned Greg's advanced kit, and have installed many of the other variants he's got out there.

• Like 1

Scott, make sure you also visit thenewx site, lots transfers over to the fronty's. let me know if you have any questions about PRG's stuff. I owned Greg's advanced kit, and have installed many of the other variants he's got out there.

About 2 weeks ago i spoke to greg and ordered his 1.5 rear block and bilstein 5125 rear shocks from him, camber bolts and new "top hats" for the bilstein 5100 i got from a clubfrontier member with only 10k miles on them along with xterra front springs. Im hoping to put together the 5100 set at the 2 inch lift with xterra springs and the new top hats and basically swapout my stock fronts for these. My only problem i forsee is getting camber bolts in, more then likely i'll have to get new lower control arms since the stock non adj bolts freeze up in there. maybe i should become a memeber of thenewx.com My best friend has been running a prg rear setup and stillen front spacers since 06 with no problems. I've heard nothing but great things about great at PRG. Any advice and i'm all ears... BTW more then likely i'll keep the 31's on the truck since they are new and upgrade to 32's or 33's down the road...

I had two D40's, a 05 and an 07. Your so far on the right track, and have mentioned the usual suspects. Only other thing I can tell you to watch is the fuel sending units going out all the damn time - and remember if its not a NISMO or PRO-4X, it doesnt have skids. Sliders and a transfer/gas skid are a MUST on those things they are very long and low. I wore out 2 sets of OEM skids in less than a year on my 07 NISMO. when I gave the truck back they put a 3rd set on (lease).

Clubfrontier.org is your best route (I'm on there too). NewX isnt bad - It basically all transfers over - same drive train - rear springs are a different length lol, and thats about it.

Edited by Inyourface1650

I had two D40's, a 05 and an 07. Your so far on the right track, and have mentioned the usual suspects. Only other thing I can tell you to watch is the fuel sending units going out all the damn time - and remember if its not a NISMO or PRO-4X, it doesnt have skids. Sliders and a transfer/gas skid are a MUST on those things they are very long and low. I wore out 2 sets of OEM skids in less than a year on my 07 NISMO. when I gave the truck back they put a 3rd set on (lease).

Clubfrontier.org is your best route (I'm on there too). NewX isnt bad - It basically all transfers over - same drive train - rear springs are a different length lol, and thats about it.

Thanks for the info, when i crawled under to do the rear diff vent mod i was shocked to see no skids on the gas tank.... i mean shouldn't all 4wd trucks have skids wtf.... should be fairly cheap to find nismo skids somewhere maybe ebay. Heck even my ordered new from japan 02 wrx has a rear diff skidplate! From what i understand the fuel sender was done at a recall/tsb from the prior owner. Hopefully it doesn't go out again. My buddies 05 nismo went one under 50k miles and he has 186 on it now and on the same sender. I gotta say no question in my mind i'd rather have my 92 pathfinder on a trail over the frontier.... totally different feel.

Scott