my money pit

rollingrock

This 93 is staring to become a little money pit

I dropped the Pathy at my shop to find and replace any bad injectors...#1 and #3 were bad and replaced...truck still is miss firing. They asked me if they could keep another day and have their master tech look at it...i said ok....they also mentioned that it "could" be my ECM and it may need to be replaced.

How off base is this line of thinking? I called Courtesey Nissan and they have 2 ECM's for my truck siting there, looks like a 30 min job of swaping out. Could this really be the problem of it missing? It idles fine, where you feel it is holding a certain speed or throtle poistion for a long time...you feel it kind of hesiate or miss, apply more fuel and it goes away.

Thoughts on that?

Yes, always start with checking the codes. I'm curious how they checked the injectors, expecially #'s 2,4 and 6. I find any trip to the mechanic costs a lot, the real benefit of this site is DIY to avoid that. That said, there is every level of mechanic or motivation here so it's all good.

A few people have had to swap out their ECUs so it isn't unheard of, just not terribly common either. No harm in sourcing a used one from a reliable seller though, what transmission do you have (makes a difference). Also any time you are looking for factory Nissan parts, check out www.factorynissanparts.com, Rob (Alkorahil) runs that from a Texas dealership and has the best prices around.

B

Yes, always start with checking the codes. I'm curious how they checked the injectors, expecially #'s 2,4 and 6. I find any trip to the mechanic costs a lot, the real benefit of this site is DIY to avoid that. That said, there is every level of mechanic or motivation here so it's all good.

A few people have had to swap out their ECUs so it isn't unheard of, just not terribly common either. No harm in sourcing a used one from a reliable seller though, what transmission do you have (makes a difference). Also any time you are looking for factory Nissan parts, check out www.factorynissanparts.com, Rob (Alkorahil) runs that from a Texas dealership and has the best prices around.

B

They did a NOID and OHM test on them....2 were out of spec so they replaced. Trust me, i am in the DIY club but I didn't want to remove all that stuff to get to the injectors.

I too am in Texas, just down the road from McKinny....I do have my vin number so I will call him Tuesday.

The other thing I told the shop was, if they "think" the ECM is bad, I am telling htem to not swap it...i will do that myself but only AFTER I check the codes based on the link above, that is super helpful.

They did a NOID and OHM test on them....2 were out of spec so they replaced. Trust me, i am in the DIY club but I didn't want to remove all that stuff to get to the injectors.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you weren't, and yes, that is what I wanted to confirm, that they removed the intake and properly tested them (I've run into lazy mechanics before).

Yep, I know you are in Texas, but not that close. That's a major bonus as Rob is a great guy and 100% knowledgeable. Hell, I live in NorCal and I get my factory parts from Texas... :D

Good thinking on the ECU part, it's simple to replace, but at least you can do your own verification. One thing that has been done is people 'loaning' good ECU's to test with...

B

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you weren't, and yes, that is what I wanted to confirm, that they removed the intake and properly tested them (I've run into lazy mechanics before).

Yep, I know you are in Texas, but not that close. That's a major bonus as Rob is a great guy and 100% knowledgeable. Hell, I live in NorCal and I get my factory parts from Texas... :D

Good thinking on the ECU part, it's simple to replace, but at least you can do your own verification. One thing that has been done is people 'loaning' good ECU's to test with...

B

no worries, I didn't take that post the wrong way not at all. I really want to drive this thing to the ranch this weekend, (its 3 hours away) but really worred about the timing belt. The thought of me hitch hiking with a side arm, AR-15 and a 30.06....and my dog makes my nervous. "Hey thanks for the ride, do you mind if I get my guns out of my truck?" LOL

Ok, cool.

It'll probably make it just fine, but why push it and worry, much less if something happens and you knew better. Your call, but I tend to play it safe.

"Hey thanks for the ride, do you mind if I get my guns out of my truck?"

I didn't think that was a problem down in the Lone Star. :shrug:

B