Bad Clunk when turning, or going over bumps.

ferrariowner123

So for a little while, i have asked way too many questions. Funds have restricted doing anything about it.

But this needs to be dealt with. I think i have found the problem, i just wanted to confirm it.

I have done some searching on here, over on nico, and talking with a few different members. But nothing that indicates my same issue.

Recently while steering, going over any type of bump, or even stopping or accelerating. I get a "Clunk" from the front end.

Now, i have a completely blown Steering rack bushing on the drivers side. (caused by the excellent location or the oil filter)

So i just ordered a bushing, hoping that's the problem (if not, it needed to be replaced anyway)

I have also read that a clunk is usually attributed to blown sway bar links? Mine look perfect, in fact all of my bushings look new.

Sway bar bushings: They look mint. No cracks, nothing

Ball joints: No obvious signs of leakage or issues

Control arm bushings: Look fine.

Tie rods. Look fine as well.

The only thing i can think of is my bushing, which I've known has been bad for a while. or my strut mounts/ bushings, but can those even cause symptoms like this?

Can anyone think of something that i have missed?

Thanks for the help.

-Kyle

I had the same problem in the desert, clunk clunk clunk. Loose sway bar link nut. I also had a clunk from the steering rack when I first got the truck, the rubber mount on the drivers side had rotted away. Hope you find it bro.

Well i went home, checked the sway bar links, they wouldn't budge. So i can safely say that it wasn't them.

But i did order a new steering rack bushing, but because of the break i wont receive it till Tuesday. the 27th. Which seems a bit long for Texas to Seattle. But hopefully nothing breaks as a result of this.

And if it still clunks, all that is left is the mounts. Unless if it would help for me to take pictures?

You say when turning OR going over bumps, so if the car is stopped and you turn the wheel do you get the clunk? Sounds like either the steering rack bushing or possibly strut mounts to me.

It doesn't clunk, but it squeaks over on the passengers side. But not clunking.

Thanks for the help guys.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Just throwing this out there but I had a similar "clunk" and it turned out that the resonator behind the muffler had rusted off and was swaying around from the mount and smacking the frame every time I went over a bump.

Just throwing this out there but I had a similar "clunk" and it turned out that the resonator behind the muffler had rusted off and was swaying around from the mount and smacking the frame every time I went over a bump.

Nah this is definitely suspension related, i feel it through the steering wheel and pedals.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Kyle

You know, i seem to be having a similar issue. Mine only clunks, or rattles when i am banking left at speeds over 60 or 70 mph. It will also rattle over bumps but not as regularly as when at speed. I have not located the issue. The sound comes from the front pass side.

Maybe related, maybe not, but i noticed too that on occasion when cruse control is on i will feel a hesitation, almost a breaking sensation, just for a moment.

I am concerned about both issues, and thought it they could be related, perhaps a u joint??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I was in the garage replacing the RH rear bumper side piece this morning, been puttting that off for a couple of years and the fedex guy showed up with my steering rack bushings. So, I put them in, the driverside was bad but not terrible. Anyway did both in about an hour and drove it around. Could definetly feel a difference. Steering is tighter and more responsive. What a mess in this area with old oil and grim!! Cleaned it up and knocked another couple of issues off the list.

Hey ferrariowner123 quit quackin and start fixin!!!

I was in the garage replacing the RH rear bumper side piece this morning, been puttting that off for a couple of years and the fedex guy showed up with my steering rack bushings. So, I put them in, the driverside was bad but not terrible. Anyway did both in about an hour and drove it around. Could definetly feel a difference. Steering is tighter and more responsive. What a mess in this area with old oil and grim!! Cleaned it up and knocked another couple of issues off the list.

Hey ferrariowner123 quit quackin and start fixin!!!

I'm WAITING ON PARTS. and funds. Finally got paid.

so im ordering some stuff now.

-Kyle

• Like 1

Anyone care to post the part no for the said steering rack bushings? I couldn't find them on Rock Auto.

As far i know, you HAVE to order OEM bushings. which is what i did.

Stupid i know considering where they put the oil filter you are going to replace them as some point, but only Nissan makes them.

-Kyle

I bought mine here for $10.35 a piece. Came like in 3 days.

http://www.dealerdir...8463-path-4.htm

ugh, i hate courtesy parts, i didn't know i would be biting this much of a bullet. :headwall::suicide:

It will be here tomorrow, paid $25 to have it take over a week.

Thanks anyway.

-Kyle

So I crawled underneath and removed the splash pan to take a look at the bushings. I found out that one the originals don't "look" bad and two removal of the upper bolts is going to be a PITA so while I have new ones sitting in the garage I'll probably just leave them alone.

It IS a little bit of a PITA, but not too bad. The passenger side was the hardest. If they look ok have someone turn the steering while you look at the rack, if you don't see any movement of the rack you're fine.

P.S. Are you still coming to Joshua Tree for a day trip this weekend? Only about 5 vehicles & 3 easy to get to mines with cool stuff! We're going in the South side this time.

• 1 month later...

I think I have finally found my problem! I am fairly sure it is the outside cv joint on the passenger side. Also, since it's gotten so cold up here in Minnesota, my oil cooler has started to leak so I will look at the bushings to see if they are saturated. I'm going to try to tackle the CV joint next week. As well as replacing parts on the oil cooler to see if I can stop the leak. Any feedback would be helpful..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Replacing the CV is fairly quick and easy...Takes me under an hour to do one side. Wheel comes off, cap off, snap ring off, remove the 6 twelve mm bolts on the axle, remove 2 X 22mm bolts holding the rear part of the control arm, slide the inside of the cv shaft out while pushing the back side of the control arm down and slide the whole CV out.

• Like 1