My suspension squeaks like an hourly rate hotel bed.

Palionu

I said it.. now, I plan on gutting/painting/modifying my truck but I've got to make my truck soundly, quiet again.

My question is this. What's the different between the D21 suspension system and WD21 system? I found this kit on energy suspension parts and it seems like a nicely, wrapped up kit that I can order and do the bushing swaps with. Is it compatible with the WD21? I have the mechanical know-how but I lack the experience so I'll install whatever I need in stages since it'll be slow going, solo. Please let me know if this is right or if you have an idea, what I should order?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PackageDeal017

IIRC a 2wd wd21 has that same front suspension as a 4x4 one, where as a 2wd d21 Hardbody has a different control arm setup as a 4x4. I would start with trying to pinpoint the noise before thowing parts at it though. Does your suspension components have zerks fittings (grease fittings)? Give the ball joints, tie rod ends all a few pumps if so, repack your wheel bearings, and give the whole front end a good check over for worn parts.

^Exactly.

Look around, push, pull, jack it up, etc. A trick I've used to find/isolate squeaks, especially from bushings is the give them a reasonable soaking with WD40. If the squeaking goes away for a little bit, you have found your source so obviously only do one side or one type at a time.

B

IIRC a 2wd wd21 has that same front suspension as a 4x4 one, where as a 2wd d21 Hardbody has a different control arm setup as a 4x4. I would start with trying to pinpoint the noise before thowing parts at it though. Does your suspension components have zerks fittings (grease fittings)? Give the ball joints, tie rod ends all a few pumps if so, repack your wheel bearings, and give the whole front end a good check over for worn parts.

Oh darn, I should have been more specific. I recently had the entire front suspension rebuilt 20k miles ago but it looks like they left all of the original bushings in place. I greased them up but the squeaks are back so I'm going to do this again but replace it all.

^Exactly.

Look around, push, pull, jack it up, etc. A trick I've used to find/isolate squeaks, especially from bushings is the give them a reasonable soaking with WD40. If the squeaking goes away for a little bit, you have found your source so obviously only do one side or one type at a time.

B

using WD40.. i had recently put some in a pump spray bottle but i had sprayed down both sides. I think I'll try your suggestion of spraying down one side and take it for a drive. thank you.

Edited by Palionu

Also the hardbodies are sprung differently in the back, so only the front end bushings are compatible.

Yeppers!

The 4WD D21 and WD21 are the same from the B pillar/midframe forward. The rears are completely different setup.