Exo cages

Anyone have any pictures of theirs they have built.? I have been toying around with the idea for awhile now and I wanted to see some designs and options for our WD21's

This is what I was thinking of doing...

udy3ery4.jpg

e8y7enu7.jpg

Of course it won't be yellow...

udabu9yt.jpg

What else could I do to the rear for more support while still being able to use the back hatch and window...

Heloflyboy ( I think that's his name???) has one I thought looked good, maybe hit him up and see how he did it and how its held up.

I've seen his but wasn't sure about the middle support between the front and rear doors

What else could I do to the rear for more support while still being able to use the back hatch and window...

udabu9ytv2.jpg

You could put a wicket around the brake light, down to the rear bumper, then truss it to the vertical bar at the rear corner of the truck? Looking at it, I feel like the hardest areas of the cage would be around the rear fenders so that you don't lose tire clearance, but also don't impede the rear doors from opening. Your bend radius and location would have to be spot on. Also, the problem with the back end is that you either cover part of the brake lights, or get in the way of the hatch. If you're going that custom, what about removing the rear tire carrier, and incorporating a carrier into a rear gate?

Edited by Trench

The center door bar is something you want but on a 4 door it's ether going to get in the way of the rear door opening, stick to far out, and be a major concern if that bar takes a side impact. It will bend and more than likely prevent you from opening the door. I've been looking into doing this and the only safe option I have come up with is to build a internal/exo cage combo. Do a main hoop inside with some cross bracing and then have it exit the roof and tie into the exo cage design.

• 2 weeks later...

The center door bar is something you want but on a 4 door it's ether going to get in the way of the rear door opening, stick to far out, and be a major concern if that bar takes a side impact. It will bend and more than likely prevent you from opening the door. I've been looking into doing this and the only safe option I have come up with is to build a internal/exo cage combo. Do a main hoop inside with some cross bracing and then have it exit the roof and tie into the exo cage design.

He is right, I have tried to tie in a door bar in the center and I have not found a good way that looked desent and was still able to use full swing of rear door. The inner hoop is the way to go also, I had thought about it, but was afraid I could not keep the cabin water proof when you bolt through the sheet metal. Keep in mind the weight of all that tubing up high. I could use more tubing but the last Rubicon trip with a loaded truck and roof rack changed my mine. (VERY TOP HEAVY). Watch your door and hatch openings for clearances.

Mine has held up very well and taken some good rock hits.

Good Luck

Edited by Heloflyboy