Voting, an analyst's view

Precise1

Just an article I ran across where the message is quite simple. If you aren't sure who to vote for, please, dont. :D

It makes sense to me...

http://news.yahoo.co...--05095507.html

Personally, I think the best reform immediately possible in this country is to abolish the electorial college and use strictly the popular vote, this way everyones vote counts, there would be no complicated big $ campaign (nor donations), no pandering to special interests or specific states, and generally being a whole lot less costly, dishonest and distracting than the mess we have now. Is there any reason not to other than it would destroy the entire game that is played currently?

Honestly, I don't care who you are voting for, the current system is BS and I'm tired of having to choose between the lesser of two evils of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. I can tell you which way my state is going regardless of my vote.

Sorry for the vent, but I just tired of our painfully stupid voting system which ultimately creates our painful choices. This seems like such a simple fix in our modern world... :headwall:

B

Edited by Precise1

Potato 2016!

IIRC the electoral college is there to protect the interests of small states? It's been a while since I took a government class. Something about small states afraid big states would overrule them. I'm not sure how much it would change the game, though... there would still be states where the vote was likely to swing, and the heavier campaigning/pandering/etc would be done there. Then again, Florida.

I ended up leaving a few fields blank on my ballot... but president was not one of them.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I spent 5 or 6 hours looking things up and reading so I think I cast my votes with some level of comprehension. A few were a bit confusing though...

"And after all this time, you’re still trying to make up your minds. The overwhelmingly likely reason is this: You have the reasoning power of a baked potato."

Like I said, the author has a point. :lol:

I personally prefer the candid approach.

B

On one side I see the whole big state vs little state basis of the electoral college, but the presidency affects everyone so I agree that the popular vote should be the decider. In this day and age of technology it is no big deal to count those votes either.

Good point, but isn't the electorial college # of votes per state based on population anyway? *looks at a map*

http://www.examiner.com/article/an-updated-look-at-the-2012-electoral-college-map-with-polls-17

Yep, pretty much, which is why Maryland has 10 votes and Colorado has 9. (Colorado pop 5.1m, Maryland 5.8m)

It's the same reason why I voted against a local measure to split the school board elections into districts instead of current city wide method. I don't want some person only campagning in their district, and then when elected, making decisions that affect all the districts. This creates special interest groups, pandering and division. It's pretty much a micro version of what is being done with the states in the presidential election. If they want to harp about 'people dying for the right to vote, it's your duty' then they had damn well make sure every vote counts and in the current system, that is not even remotely the case.

Personally, I think the system still exists because it is easier to manupulate this way...

B

Insert political rant here. Obama is a clueless heap. I like Romney.

Thanks, but if you notice, no where in this thread is there any mention of individual candidates or preferences/opinions thereof. It is really meant to be that way so please keep your opinions to yourself. Thanks.

B

You have me at an impasse, good sir. I will readily admit to enjoying Red Seal Ale. Though the fact that it has to travel so far to get to me does put a bit of a price tag on it. Would you believe me that a 6 pack costs me 16 bucks for the stuff? Damn you, well hopped ale!

Come wheel up here, and I'll introduce you to flavor country.

http://www.howesound.com/home.aspx

You have me at an impasse, good sir. I will readily admit to enjoying Red Seal Ale. Though the fact that it has to travel so far to get to me does put a bit of a price tag on it. Would you believe me that a 6 pack costs me 16 bucks for the stuff? Damn you, well hopped ale!

Come wheel up here, and I'll introduce you to flavor country.

http://www.howesound.com/home.aspx

I'm sorry it costs so much for you, they make many a good beer that all lovers should have access to. Of course, I pay extra for others myself... :shrug:

Now my mouth is watering! That Rail Ale Nut Brown sounds great! I love my browns and porters! If you are ever in the neighborhood, I'll bring you here...

http://russianriverbrewing.com/

Ok, now back to the screwy voting system of America!! ;)

B

I have no idea what is there to analyze. It's almost obvious that there is a selection instead of an election. 8 years D then 8 years R is the way this game is played.

On that note... I could use a few beers myself right now. :D

I've enjoyed a few Sierra Nevada Torpedo's. It's the first time I've had anything to drink in over a week. But what day is more deserving of alcohol than election day?

I know who won the presidential spot, but what I'm really hoping for is the denial of Prop's 1, 2 & 3 here in Idaho.

I've enjoyed a few Sierra Nevada Torpedo's.

Sierra Nevada is 70 miles away, not only do they have great beer, but they have an amazing restaurant.

Lost Coast Brewery has a few good selections as well, not sure how widespread they distribute though.