special spark plug tool?

bushnut

It should be in the tool kit under the rear seats, and if it is not, sometimes they come up for sale with vehicles being parted out, can be found at junk yards, or even ask a local wrecker to set one aside for you.

I'm not sure if the WD21 and the R50 unit are the same, I'll try to take a look today.

You can also get the #6 plug with a plug socket and a few extensions, a universal joint at worst. The big thing is to mark on the firewall the position of the extension (to help align it when you are threading in the new one), and simply be patient.

B

I have the special socket in my tool kit but, I've never used it. An eight inch 3/8's extension along with a universal swivel is all you need. I did loosen my break lines on the fire wall in order to make the #6 plug removal easier. It really is easier to get to than you think!

I swear people over-panic over the "oh-so-awful-and-impossible" # roundish shape with a tail on top (6 for those who count normal) plug. I have one of those kits somewhere out of a caR50 just because I wanted it, I honestly wouldn't even bother attempting though with it and as stated by others, just use a swivel and some extensions :aok:

I have found that that plug is a PITA without a body lift. After my 3 inch body lift it becomes A whole lot easier. Medium extension is all that is needed. I can actually reach my hand around between the engine and the firewall and reach the spark plug.

It really isnt all that hard. I had to stand on my nudge bar though and kinda climb into the engine bay :laugh:. Although you cant actually see the plug hole, you just have to feel around. I used a swivel joint and a long extension. The air hose is to blow away any dirt from falling into the spark plug hole which really helps if you have a large buildup.

23082012201_zps01b810d3.jpg?t=1361857249

Edited by Leo94

It really isnt all that hard. I had to stand on my nudge bar though and kinda climb into the engine bay :laugh:. Although you cant actually see the plug hole, you just have to feel around. I used a swivel joint and a long extension. The air hose is to blow away any dirt from falling into the spark plug hole which really helps if you have a large buildup.

23082012201.jpg

That looks easy....try dealing with the intake on the fuel injected trucks. The difficulty goes up a few points.

The first time sucks even with proper tools. But once you get it figured out how to arrange your extension, its not terrible.

• Like 1

I agree, it doesn't look to bad on an 89. The inlet manifold on a VG33 is the main pita. I was getting ready to remove my inlet manifold when my buddy got the plug in :itsallgood:

If anyone is doing an R50 tb clean or knock sensor, replace that plug while the manifold is off. :aok: