Calipers frozen

AIIZEE

Just came back from the dealer and they stated the calipers are frozen (3 of 4).

They smacked me with a 1490.00 quote.

I did read the write up but it would be a PITA to do it in this weather and I have no time.

So I just did the oil change and parked the bad boy just to weigh my options.

Are caliper replacements that expensive? I really dont think so.

What are some recommendations, please.

It does seem rather high...maybe they are doing more like turning the rotors, etc.

As said above, it's a pretty straight forward swap. You could always pick up the calipers yourself and take it to an independent mechanic for the work. Or at least get another estimate.

i think i picked up the front callipers for just over 100. don't forget to get new hoses. if the calis are bad, most likely, so are the hoses and you're already there... the job is pretty simple. i don't see why you couldn't do the whole thing in a couple of hours or so..

While I didn't see the estimate, and you'r rotors may need turning as mentioned, that seems like true stealership pricing... If you have the time/ability/weather conditions, check it out yourself first, then do the work if appropriate. The savings could be $500-$1000 all depending.... Worth some inconvenience in my book... Good luck.

Bernard

Do it yourself if you can. I had my fronts done (full job, calipers, rotors, pads, supposedly everything including lines, but they screwed me) at Midas for well over $700. Lasted just over 1 year, then back I went when the front driver's caliper froze while on the freeway but close to their branch shop. Of course, the bastards wouldn't cover a thing. Another $500 cause they lied and didn't replace the lines or anything I supposedly paid for other than the major parts, which apparently caused the 2nd failure. Apparently they've abandoned the concept of standing behind their work and brand loyalty. Moral of the story: do it yourself for cheap if you have the skills, or go to a trusted mechanic. The stealer and the major chains will just rip you off.

By the way, you stated "3 of the 4." Are you sure you have 4 wheel discs? I'm not sure of the model years and such, but I thought most older Pathy's had discs in front and drums in back like my 94. :shrug:

By the way, you stated "3 of the 4." Are you sure you have 4 wheel discs? I'm not sure of the model years and such, but I thought most older Pathy's had discs in front and drums in back like my 94. :shrug:

my 89 SE had 4 calipers. my 94 XE has two drums and two discs...

While I didn't see the estimate, and you'r rotors may need turning as mentioned, that seems like true stealership pricing... If you have the time/ability/weather conditions, check it out yourself first, then do the work if appropriate. The savings could be $500-$1000 all depending.... Worth some inconvenience in my book... Good luck.

Bernard

"turning" rotors is over-rated imho... if they are out a bunch sure, but for the most part just toss new pads and you're good to go...

Guest goosejk

I just had new pads, rotors and calipers put on all 4 corners of my '94. I used an independent mechanic (not dealership) and the cost all said and done was closer to $900 (but part of a larger job).

I wish that I had space and time to do it myself... but I can really tell the difference in stopping power and rolling resistance.

Yes, generally SE's will have 4wheel discs while XE's are disc front, drum rear.

Now, that of course isn't in stone as depending on options etc at the time of purchase, XE's can have 4wheel disc, lsd, power, etc, etc, etc.

Guest 92mini van

this is unreal I thought I was the only one who had a caliper freeze while driving and this was on the new set that where just put on had like a 1000 miles on them. I was in the whole thing like $600 had a local shop do the work this was brakes, calipers, rotors, and all the fixings in the back too. They are drum in the rear /

My 92 SE has 4 wheel discs.

Just completed the front last night and banged it out in 2 hours.

I was a little iffy about the bleeding but they do work well.

Total cost so far:

Loaded calipers L and R about 210.00 when I return the core. NAPA autoparts.

Yes fellas, it was that simple. thanks for the adivse.

I'll do the rears on tuesday or wednesday, they didnt have them in stock as of yesturday.

Angel

Good job Angel ! No, it's generally not that difficult to work on the brakes, just more important to do it right.... Sounds like you will get this done for $500 or so+time. A far cry from the $1500 the stealer wanted, eh ? Happy $1K !! :clap:

Bernard