93/95 dash

Hatchet

I have 2 wd21 trucks that I am curious if I can trade dashes easily since the 93 is in better shape on the inside I would like to put it in the 95 any ideas or experience with this? Input would be great

Anything is possible with enough time and money.

But it is not just a 'swap one year dash with another' situation here. ALL of the mounting brackets and most of the guts underneath like air ducts and such not to mention glove box and isntrument cluster are different. You would have to gut your entire interior to make it work.

Grandpa X went the other way, put a round dash in a square dash car, in the '87 twin turbo sas' thread.

I'm sure you could make it work, but it would take some creative wiring and be sort of a PITA to fit everything. You'd have to swap out the speed sensor setup for the cable setup, which I can't see why wouldn't work so long as nothing broke during removal. On the bright side, you'd have a working voltmeter, which for some reason the round dash lacks.

But yeah, how long do you want to spend on this?

Edited by Slartibartfast

I'm not saying its easy, but honestly it shouldn't take that long. The wiring obviously would be the most time consuming, but if the wires are indeed the same color shouldnt be horrible. You have everything you need to make it happen otherwise.

the 93 dash doesn't have an electric speedo, but i have 2 complete trucks. i really just wish they didn't change all of that until 96 when the new body style came out, but since i have 2 trucks i dont see why i couldn't do it but i would have to switch them all over, as for the interior i was going to use the interior from the 93 since its mint and the 95 looks like a wild animal has been through it. as much as i may want to do this all now i dont think i will be able to, but of this all i really hope the columns work since the 95 had the key break off in it and the 93 is in fine, i butchered the ignition in the 95 to get the key out though, and i hope to have pics for you all soon

and i will spend as much time as it takes to get this truck the way i like it, i can be bad about my vehicles that way, and when i pull the interior i will re run the speaker wires so i dont have to worry about that factory amp and also figure out where and how i am going to mount my CB in the truck, and the antenna

Sadly i wont be able to use the carpet from the truck since it caught fire on me when i was driving it home tonight, and had to cut a piece of it out. I will have the other truck home tomorrow and see where i go from there kinda disappointing but there isnt much that can be done about it

Just for others reference...the vents will all be the same...and ac controls...you will need the under structure...pull the clusters of both...

Put them side by side...they're not that different... you can probably make the face plates and electronics mount in the old 95 cluster in the 93...I had the 87 stuff mounted in a 95 until I realized I had to.have the electrical speedofor the ecu

Did it catch fire at your feet?

yeah it did, caught it before it was flaming but had me stumped at first, cause it looked like it was coming from under the dash from the air pushing through the hole

oh nice its looking promising that i can use the other dash then, but for the ac controls the one in the 95 is stuck on defrost because the lever to switch it seems to be off or broken, any ideas on that? and i am looking to get the other one home sometime today

My 87 did not...or at least I wasn't aware of how to get the signal to the cluster/ecu

You didn't see the black thingy behind the speedometer? If you notice the circuit board also goes to the speedometer behind the cluster. I know mine has it and it's the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in the service manual.

76465_461607919074_5972823_n.jpg

The 1993 cluster is similar but it is even closer to the 1995 one because it no longer has the voltage regulator on top.

378891_10150377831999075_1343702184_n.jpg

Oh I see, would I be able to connect the wires right to that? I would run the cable but it being set up differently I wouldn't want to mess with the ECM and end up with that nightmare. I am hoping that I will have my other one home today it's been a real pain getting these trucks home

i cleaned the inside today, the guy that owned it i will call "pig pen" because that thing was trashed, but i did vacuum it got a few hours, got the corn and straw out of it, next will be the scrub down. unfortunately i cant use the carpet out of the parts truck since it caught fire on me under my feet :lol: and i would of switch dashes but after pulling them both out i broke some pieces by accident on the 93 dash so i left the 95 dash in it, i guess i will learn to like it. i got a complete tune up done to it today, and it has a nice tow hitch on it, next will eventually be speakers for it since one is cracking on me, but i have to get it inspected and it has a shake in the steering wheel but i think that is from the tires since it sat in one spot for 2 years, but over all i love this truck and want to keep it as nice as i can so i may pull out this carpet and hit it with a pressure washer and scrubber to try and clean it all up

I put 6.5's in my front doors, just have to make new screw holes. If the speakers are too deep you can make/buy a spacer to put between the speaker and the door.

As for replacements depends on how much you want to spend, I have a pair of Alpines in my sentra and a pair of Kicker's in my PF, I like both and they were both under $100 for the pair.