Radiator Expansion Tank Relocation?

Blevinger

All you serious 4x4 dudes with crazy bumpers:

Where are you relocating the coolant expansion tank? And the windshield washer tank for that matter?

My coolant tank is shot and I'm in the process of building a new bumper so I figure it's time to move that sucker and see if there is something else to use beside the OEM one.

THX

Woah! Rad. More details. Did you make custom fittings for the lines?

I'm just horsing around, that's not mine.

I honestly think that its as simple as a that. Get a container (obviously something better than thin tin.) and re route your over flow lines.

As for the washer, i really don't know, maybe relocate the battery and put it there? :shrug:

Post pics when you get both your bumper and relocation done. I know more than a few people here will love to see it.

-Kyle

Yeah, so things I need to make a sweet bumper that more or less exposes the front tires with no impediments :

- Snorkel, it looks like (any other cheap way to move that crap below the airbox? What's that plug for? It's before the air filter...)

- Real overflow tank

- relocate battery (to where?) and put washer fluid in its place

hrm...

In related news, my new Eastwood MIG and Eastwood Plasma Cutter just arrived. Hell yeah.

Edited by Blevinger

Yeah, so things I need to make a sweet bumper that more or less exposes the front tires with no impediments :

- Snorkel, it looks like (any other cheap way to move that crap below the airbox? What's that plug for? It's before the air filter...)

- Real overflow tank

- relocate battery (to where?) and put washer fluid in its place

hrm...

In related news, my new Eastwood MIG and Eastwood Plasma Cutter just arrived. Hell yeah.

Snorkel would be a great option to get some additional room, BUT YOU NEED THAT PLUG, its connect the Mass Air Flow Senor, it monitors the air coming into the car and is pretty much the most vital piece to getting the engine to function correctly.

And i would relocated the Battery to the rear somewhere, just run some kicker 4 gauge and call it good. (Could be entirely wrong)

Plasma welder anything makes me jealous.

-Kyle

• 2 months later...

Doin Work. Made a bit of progress. 2 out of 3 obstacles removed.

2077498_600.jpg

It's a work in progress. Right side cleaned up.

I actually did rock this overflow bottle for awhile. It worked fine.

2077497_600.jpg

Here is my new washer fluid bottle. Old Nalgene, it's actually pretty leak free. This is just tied down with some twist ties to some random bracket.

2077495_600.jpg

Anything that fits an empty cavity, can withstand a little bit of heat, and can be drilled out to fit the pumps seems to work.

How do I fill it?

2077494_600.jpg

Not super elegant, but not a PITA because I don't live somewhere that the roads are always salted. I don't use a lot of washer fluid, so I just undo the twist-tie and open-er-up. Surprisingly, this setup is pretty leak free. It's way better than my busted OEM washer tank.

Edited by Blevinger

Lots of WIN going on with my beater Pathy:

2077496_600.jpg

That "temporary" grille is the wiper cowl off of a '76 280z that I parted out.

2077491_600.jpg

Speaking of s30 parts, here is my new radiator overflow tank.

2077493_600.jpg

That's the windshield washer tank off of the same 280z. I took off the pump and plugged the hole in the bottom with some left-over p-tex (meltable, sandable plastic) I had from my old snowboarding-repair stash. Simple bracket with some random metal, boom.

Way sweeter than the capless, Trader Joes cleaner bottle.

2077492_600.jpg

Getting there...

• Like 2

Nice work! I love redneck fixes. :lol: I lol'd at the grille, it actually looks pretty good.

Thanks! Yeah if I hit it with some paint it might be passable...for a little while longer anyway.

i ran a rockstar can for 2 years on my lexus gs300 it was my dily driver and drift car and it never had a problem and when i thought it got old i went to circle k paid 2 bucks and got another one loved it

Yeah, I actually think it's not a half-bad looking option either. Cheap and easy.

• 2 months later...

Dude your rig is full of brilliant ideas! Keep the awesome innovations coming! I've got a bumper on mine that exposes the front like yours... any plans for covering that up? I'm pretty interested in your ideas for it. I dont like crap getting stuck in my rad.

Dude your rig is full of brilliant ideas! Keep the awesome innovations coming! I've got a bumper on mine that exposes the front like yours... any plans for covering that up? I'm pretty interested in your ideas for it. I dont like crap getting stuck in my rad.

Thanks. And YES. I've already got a ghetto skidplate cut for it, but have had no MANTIME to fire up the welder since...well...looks like December. I'm going to do something wicked easy with some scrap I found at the recycling yard that already had perforated holes for-the-airflows.

I just built around it and stayed fairly tight to the body, I was also able to keep the windshield fluid res :shrug:

Just seemed to me like all that crap in front of the wheels was super vulnerable—from underneath too.

Maybe I just like that prerunner look with the exposed suspension bits: 0708or_03_z+toyota_prerunner_truck+jump_

Thanks. And YES. I've already got a ghetto skidplate cut for it, but have had no MANTIME to fire up the welder since...well...looks like December. I'm going to do something wicked easy with some scrap I found at the recycling yard that already had perforated holes for-the-airflows.

Great! I'd love to see it (and possibly any measurements you have on it) when you get some free time.

PS. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with loving the prerunner look :aok:

• 3 months later...

Looks pretty good! I'm after a winch bumper but I don't want to fork out $1500. Wish I had a welder, etc, I'd be fabbing the shee-ite out of everything!! :laugh:

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 2