Some old ads for the old timers, LOL

ahardb0dy

Ad for the VERY rare 1988 Nissan Hardbody Desert Runner. Offered as a special package, they only made 600 manual and 400 automatics. (the only option the package had).

It is on my bucket list of vehicles.

ad1.jpg

ad2.jpg

ad3.jpg

ad4.jpg

Edited by Alkorahil

There are also fakes, or ones people have made to look like a desert runner. The only way to tell is on the model code under the VIN on the driver door, the code has to end with 85 to be a true Desert Runner.

I dont know the exact numbers on the 4x4 V6 single cab. Not as much as the 2wd. :) I see the single cab 4x4 with the 4cyl more.

• Like 1

I'm pretty positive it is one.. It certainly has all the stuff that would make it one. Even the tailgate net, which I always thought he put on it.

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a single cab 4x4 V6.

The accessories on the Desert Runner look like they were made by House of Steel, That is the light bar that I had on my hardbody and someday will get mounted on my PF. I believe Chevy also had a S-10 with the same parts on it, ( roll bar, front and rear pre runner bumpers). The House of steel catalog I have is from 1987.

Here is the model code for manual trans: HLYD21FEUB85

About 4 years ago I actually found the part numbers for the graphics kits for this truck, surprisingly they were still available at the time for $1400.00 per side.....cant remember the part numbers now but definately remember that price!

The accessories on the Desert Runner look like they were made by House of Steel, That is the light bar that I had on my hardbody and someday will get mounted on my PF. I believe Chevy also had a S-10 with the same parts on it, ( roll bar, front and rear pre runner bumpers). The House of steel catalog I have is from 1987.

From what I understand they were sent to a conversion company in Arizona to have the equipment mounted on them....and I cant remember the name of the company now but its semi-well known for baja buggy stuff and off roading......i remember recognizing the name.

This stuff goes so far back and my brain is tired and filled with too much of this niche-trivia stuff :)

I think so, the one with doing the turbo FJ20 swap?

Possibly so. I was just getting my feet wet around here when he was actively posting. I think he had some larger projects ahead of his Pathy to take care of (that I remember).

From what I understand they were sent to a conversion company in Arizona to have the equipment mounted on them....and I cant remember the name of the company now but its semi-well known for baja buggy stuff and off roading......i remember recognizing the name.

This stuff goes so far back and my brain is tired and filled with too much of this niche-trivia stuff :)

Wasn't Connor Racing was it? They worked with Nissan a lot in those days.

I believe they were designed by Jim Conner Racing.

I think all the steel bumpers were made by FEY manufacturing or Desert steel in AZ. Desert steel is the company that made all the Jim conner UCAs per Jims specs. These arms are now sold by AC. They may still be made by desert steel.

Desert Steel, local profile:

Address: 1863 Commander Drive

City: Lake Havasu City

State: Arizona

ZIP: 86403

Phone: (928)855-2208

County: Mohave

Category: Steel Fabricators & Erectors

I also found Service Bulletin TS88-058 in the computer here "Desert Runner Paint/Tape Sepcifications"

I also revised my earlier post. They made 1000. 600 manual and 400 auto. Only options was with or without AC.

Edited by Alkorahil

No problem, I had a few road and track and motor trend mags for 85-87 in storage, went thru them quick and scanned the Nissan Ad's, if anyone ever wants to see old boomboxes or old stereo ad's I have them scanned already as I have almost the complete sets of Car Audio and Car Stereo review magazines.

Anyone ever hear of this old magazine, Superauto??? I have about 10 of them, they have 2 cars that I really like a Renault and a Peugeot, not the ordinary versions, the mid engine rally car for the street version with the huge fender flares, etc. I'll scan them and post them.

..., if anyone ever wants to see old boomboxes or old stereo ad's I have them scanned already as I have almost the complete sets of Car Audio and Car Stereo review magazines.

YES! I haven't seen those ads in ages. Used to really get into car audio.