Starting a Mechanic Apprenticeship

NWT87PATHY

My attitude is that I only bring the tools required for something that I reasonably could or would try to repair on the side of the road. A 3/8" socket set, wrenches, pliers, vice grips, allen wrenches screw drivers, hammer and some tape, sealant, and so on. Off road is different, but for every day stuff just take the basics and cheap stuff if you have it (vehicle tools tend to get stolen).

B

Hell ya, my tool bucket i keep in my pathy will do near anything. I just think having your hands in another mans tool box is rude..lol

Thinking now maybe I need a bigger box. And some low cost complete sets, my Snap On gear is worth to much to bring to some one elses shop.. Heh heh heh

"He who has the most TOOLS wins"

I'd agree with B. Need to keep in mind that you'll probably need both English and Metric. Couple different crescent wrench can't hurt...in case you don't have the right wrench. Some channel lock pliers above beyond the vise grips/regular pliers. Spring clip removers come to mind. A magnetic pick-up stick. Extending kind like an antenna. Include a variety of extensions with your sockets and at least one universal.

There is no way I would put my hands in another man's drawers unless specifically told it was ok. *career machinist with 2 top/bottom roll around chests in the garage*

I never spent big money for the best mechanic tools, just what was decent and guarenteed. Machinist tools on the other hand are all Starrett, Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo.

"He who uses the tools best, wins..." ;)

B

I keep cheap stuff in my Kennedy roller, stuff has a habit of walking off when I'm not looking. Funny thing is I went from not locking it too making sure I lock it. But I do maintance on lasers and stuff.

My truck tool box has a basic 3/8 socket set, a a 12 piece wrench set (stanley brand) mix and match spark plug sockets. A 1/2 wrench, a large channel lock and grease zerks. Plus a dead blow and I think EZ-outs. I always have a 4 way with me.

If its a Heavy truck or machinary aprentice ship I say get a set of sockets that range from 1" too 4 1/2". You'll use them often.

My indeapth automotive tools are all of my dads or my gand farthers, ranging from a presure checker too old tourqe wrenchs (with a needle and dial, lol). I'm not really sure whats all there but its a small machine shops worth.

Since your doing a apprentiship I dont know, I know if you went too tech school you would leave with all the tools you need and you would have a heavy discount on them.

Every thing in my "Pathy tool box" include all cheap azz metric (yet guaranteed) Duralast tools in it. I have done everything from my timing belt to a head swap on my wife's Honda with them. I keep my ohms meter and my OBDII code reader in there as well.

Hell ya, my tool bucket i keep in my pathy will do near anything. I just think having your hands in another mans tool box is rude..lol

Thinking now maybe I need a bigger box. And some low cost complete sets, my Snap On gear is worth to much to bring to some one elses shop.. Heh heh heh

"He who has the most TOOLS wins"

I won't go into someones box but will ask first...no shame in my game

• Like 1

x2

Just carry some cheap and basic tools around. I never had to fix a Pathfinder on the side of the road before but it's still good to carry some sockets in case you have to change the tire or re-attach a loose part.

Holy hell, south koreans sure know how to make a diesel compacted!!

Gonna have to jack the cab 3' to get that beast out!

C0D0AFC1-221E-4273-BF1B-21E3DE008A5C-984-000000C6560E049B_zps049781ae.jpg

Today was a 8hr solo day.....

The Nissan dealers usually takes the whole cab off of a titan to pull the motor!

James

The Nissan dealers usually takes the whole cab off of a titan to pull the motor!

James

Nice! I'm sure the days of old fashion is gone.

I owe my Pathfinder to the Path in life im taking! Learning to work on complacated import mumbojumbo has made demestic stuff easy breezy japaneazy!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an industrial electrician. I carry the smallest tool pouch out of the 10'in our shop.

I have yet to goto a job I can't fix. Of course motor changes are out, but just about anything else.

A light tool box is best for everybody, including your wallet. Like, you don't need an entire Allen wrench set, if you only use three sizes. Same with wrenches and sockets. Who uses a 11mm socket?? Leave em home, and just organize a light bag. Just what you need, and never more than that.

Nice!

My Journeyman has this great big monster tool box, 8 feet wide 5 1/2 feet tall and chocked full of tools!, so this weekend I bought a G's worth the sears stainless tool box (top and bottom) . My book keeper/wife.. Lol, Has set me up with 100$ every payday to fill up that bad mofo!

I know you already bought it, but My wife bought me the Harbor Freight big rollaway box last x-mas and it is pretty decent for the price.

What kind of mechanic apprenticeship are you doing? is it a school? Or are you working for someone learning as you go?

I know you already bought it, but My wife bought me the Harbor Freight big rollaway box last x-mas and it is pretty decent for the price.

What kind of mechanic apprenticeship are you doing? is it a school? Or are you working for someone learning as you go?

Im workin at a hole in the wall operation, thats pretty much the best shop in town tho!. I go to technical training in alberta after 1800 hr's. But long story short im a ticketless mechanic.. I do engines, trans, suspension, diff's, electical, body work and interior anything. I can retro fit and mod anything. All that being said im still learning the ropes of pro-wenching because im not in the sand box anymore!