4wd vs FWD and fuel economy

mingo

Hey folks. I'd like to bounce some stuff off y'all.

After having a couple of toyotas, I bought a 1992 Pathfinder for cheap and put a little money into it. Always stuck to driving 4wd although I never was into off-roading much. I live in the north country so 4wd is convenient and I do go out in the woods, but rarely do anything "silly" if you know what I mean.

I feel my attitude changing now, though, thinking about fuel economy. Do I need 4wd at the cost of 20+ mpg? I'm starting to think not, especially when I can get by with FWD in the snow.

I've been looking at old subaru's, datsun/nissan, and honda civic wagons. I'd love to get a wagon for the space and gear hauling. All things considered, I'd love to get ahold of and old sentra wagon or other flat 4cyl wagon.

So, anyone wanna trade me their good running 1984 sentra wagon for my pathy?

• Like 1

get the Sentra wagon, they're cool and rare. I know a guy that race's his in the snow.

still 4wd and probably could get high 20 to 30 MPG if you drive normal,

20 MPG is good in a pathfinder but not everyone gets 20, I've been averaging about 16-17 but I drive like a nut.

The 4wd sentras still get low 20's mpg according to my research, used to seem worth it but I don't think so anymore...

Tungsten, what sucks about FWD rice-burners?

I didn't know Nisssan made a 4wd Sentra Wagon...

I did think that you should consider one of these then

85_Tercel_Frt_LH.jpg

Yeah, the Pathys don't get the best mileage, but I view the light maintenence and repair to ofset the added cost of gas. That and I don't log a lot of miles.

Don't mind Tungsten, he has issues...

B

• Like 1

He doesn't have one. Everything he doesn't have sucks, at least according to him. So I guess girlfriends suck too be cause the way he trolls up almost every thread here with useless guesses he couldn't have time for a girlfriend!

I didn't know Nisssan made a 4wd Sentra Wagon...

I did think that you should consider one of these then

85_Tercel_Frt_LH.jpg

Yeah, the Pathys don't get the best mileage, but I view the light maintenence and repair to ofset the added cost of gas. That and I don't log a lot of miles.

Don't mind Tungsten, he has issues...

B

I had a 84 tercel just like that! same color even. It even had a clinometor on the dash. I bought it from a guy for $150 after it sat in a field for 2 years and brought it back to life. It was so light it pulled good in the mud even with street tires. I tried to find mud tires in 13" but no luck. I still should have never gotten rid of it. When we bought my wife an exterra in 2000 she convinced me to sell it to finish paying off my truck so we only had one note. The little 1.3 motor had so little power it would top out at 75mph on the interstate with the A/C on but it never quit!

James

Nissan only had the 4wd sentra wagon for like 3 years, I believe it was 87, 88 & 89, funny oem-surplus, (nissan surplus parts at very good discounted prices if you don't know about them), still have brand new parts available for the 4wd,

here is a rear view pic of one, someone I know from the sentra forum has, this guy races his at rallycross events against full rally cars, this one is an 89, 5 speed, with a DE engine and turbo swap, they put the 4wd button on the shift knob from what I've read:

23sytr5.jpg

The 4wd sentras still get low 20's mpg according to my research, used to seem worth it but I don't think so anymore...

Just about everything. FWD rice burners are for limp wristed people that don't know anything about cars. Take for one, the weight distribution. RWD platforms have a proper weight distribution because of how the engine and transmission is placed. FWD will understeer because all the drive train and powerplant is directly at the front rotated sideways. They will also torque steer because most of the time the drive shafts are uneven. The other thing you will notice is inferior part quality. Since FWD cars are just basic means of transportation, all the parts are value engineered. The majority of parts on a Pathfinder are overbuilt so they last a long time.

FYI: Pathfinders have almost an even 50/50 weight distribution, which makes them ideal for handling on hilly roads.

I have a confession to make.... besides Nissans I love Subarus too.

But you wont get impressive mileage out of them....believe me....and they can be tempermental depending on model and year and so forth and i would definately say have a higher cost of ownership than your Pathfinder........but gosh they can be fun to drive!

Edited by Alkorahil

Nissan only had the 4wd sentra wagon for like 3 years, I believe it was 87, 88 & 89, funny oem-surplus, (nissan surplus parts at very good discounted prices if you don't know about them), still have brand new parts available for the 4wd,

here is a rear view pic of one, someone I know from the sentra forum has, this guy races his at rallycross events against full rally cars, this one is an 89, 5 speed, with a DE engine and turbo swap, they put the 4wd button on the shift knob from what I've read:

23sytr5.jpg

I have seen those before now that I see a picture, but they weren't common at all and I never paid attention to them. Thanks for the flashback... :D

B

The fwd sentra wagon's were pretty common, the 4wd one's are few. One of my ex gf's had a Subaru, think it was an RX, it was pretty cool, turbo, center diff control, 4wd of course, and it had a feature like a line lock, press the clutch in, step on the brake, than you could release the brake and it would hold the car, you could even feather the clutch and gas and it would still hold the car from rolling back, here is a pic of what her car looked like except her's was all white:

6f1q8z.jpg

Lotus worst build quality?? Is that what wikipedia says? Or have you owned one?

Answered your own qustion didnt ya?

He doesn't have one. Everything he doesn't have sucks, at least according to him. So I guess girlfriends suck too be cause the way he trolls up almost every thread here with useless guesses he couldn't have time for a girlfriend!

James

Too far... but I agree with the second part.Yeah they dont make a 13" mud, you shoulda stepped up too some 14's. Your coulda got some TSL's. I rode in a topaz that topped at 75. Was the worst ride I ever was on, lol. You go around a gentle turn and the damn thing would slid into the other lane cause the tires couldnt stick at that speed

I have a confession to make.... besides Nissans I love Subarus too.

Ok guys, I got the rope... whos got a tree?

Lotus worst build quality?? Is that what wikipedia says? Or have you owned one?

They have the same build quility as a Miata but for 50k more... Loud on the inside from crappy window sealing and the transmission is clunky shifting. But it does have the super car look too it.

Yes I've driven a few ( a 80s 4 cylinder and a 99 v8), I must say I prefer the Maserati Quattroporte too them. Although I do prefer larger 4 door cars.

Want gas milage get a geo, I mean really its a 20 year old rice burning truck with deep gears and tiny tires, with no power below 3k, what do think its gonna get. But, the newer awd's get great gas milage. I cant say enough about the Ford Escape, I mean they get near 30mpg and they go in snow better then most wd21s.

My vote for winter car is something with a Wankel triangle in it.

The fwd sentra wagon's were pretty common, the 4wd one's are few. One of my ex gf's had a Subaru, think it was an RX, it was pretty cool, turbo, center diff control, 4wd of course, and it had a feature like a line lock, press the clutch in, step on the brake, than you could release the brake and it would hold the car, you could even feather the clutch and gas and it would still hold the car from rolling back, here is a pic of what her car looked like except her's was all white:

6f1q8z.jpg

OMG!!!!!!! :omg:

Thats a 1989.5 Subaru RX, they only made them in black for 6 months!!! The 1989.5also has a special body kit with wider side skirts and a rear skirt.....

The RX was only in produciton from 1986.5-1989.5, only 4300 were sold in the US and only about 600 in the black as above, the rest were all white as you said! It is hands down in my opinion (and that of others who write for auto magazines- ie professionals) one the the most cool and and fun but forgotten vehicles of the 1980's.....and is the granddaddy of the Impreza WRX.

I suspect your ex's maybe looked something like this.................... :sly:

5520_1092996605715_1087814_n_zps819f870f.jpg

5520_1092996685717_1138151_n_zps277c3647.jpg

5520_1092996525713_120173_n_zps68639618.jpg

5520_1093002245856_3018561_n_zpseb599df0.jpg

5520_1092996565714_4682923_n_zps483a3675.jpg

Tell me, do you still talk to her, more importantly does she still have it? Want to sell it???? B)

Edited by Alkorahil

+1 on the old Tercels, I've seen Youtube vids of them going places I'd hesitate to take my WD.

And Tungsten, don't confuse British with British Leyland.

FYI: Pathfinders have almost an even 50/50 weight distribution, which makes them ideal for handling on hilly roads.

Really? I always thought mine was kinda ass-light. Not that I've rallied it lately.

Put a bigger tire on the tire carrier. ;)

I can take my Pathfinder sideways and have perfect control over it. Not that I do this often but it's fun in an empty parking lot. :lol:

I guarantee you it's really close to a perfect 50-50 distribution.

British Leyland was REALLY bad. Modern British is better but still highly problematic. I would have had a Range Rover by now if they didn't fall apart so quickly.

Rob, that was it. It had different wheels though, they were stock just not those. Yes I still talk to her and no she doesn't have it anymore.

Is the one you pictured yours?

Wasn't sure of the year, I have a clipping from a magazine when it was first coming out along with the 2 door car with the height adjustable suspension, XT or something?? My cousin's dad had the other car way back.

I really liked the RX, with the spare under the hood. As I said I thought it was pretty cool back in the day, and I guess people still like them today.

Rob, this is what her's looked liked, same wheels:

k1fkh5.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy