True dual exhaust?

MadMax2

I know everyone is going to cry at the thought of this... but I really enjoy the sound of dual exhaust, I am not looking to gain much power, just sound. I was looking to run pipe from each manifold down pipe and eliminate the y pipe and use a single glasspack on each side and have the exhaust exit just like factor , just from each side. I am currently running with my exhaust cut just before the converter, its not too loud to me (im young) but its not a good verbal, I'd like to try true duals. Has anyone done this before? Maybe a X pipe, but I doubt it.

Well, you will probably lose power if anything, but yes people have done true duals and x overs. The thing is, it won't sound like most of the duals you have heard since I doubt you have heard many on a 3 liter v6 (180ish cubic inches).

There are several threads on people doing this. Let me know if you need help finding them.

B

Your not gonna like it. I mean even with open manifolds its damn near silent with ricer blatts until you get on the gas, then it sounds like a tiny unmuffled motor until like 3k then its almost like a second wind and it goes screaming off.

If your dead set on it then I'm not gonna try too stop you. Its just thats its a very diffrent sound. Kinda like a 3 cylinder geo with no muffler.

The easy way is to weld 2 mufflers (I vote cherry bomb packs since there 20 bucks) up after were you cut and run tips out the side (by the rear doors). But its gonna make it sound silent compaired too your current exhaust (or lack there of)

You could waste money running over the axle with 90's but IMO thats just a waste of good pipe.

Best of luck.

You're gonna lose power and torque because the banks won't scavenge and it'll sound like crap. If you want a bomb type muffler find some Purple Hornies... put one on my truck with headers and 2.5" exhaust, sounded WAY good.

Most loose power due to the lack of scavaging. That's what a X or H pipe is for. Unfortunately, you need almost equal length pipe from each side to where the X or H is. Hard to do on our rigs. Plus, as stated, you won't gain much. Increasing the pipe size a smidge and a decent sounding muffler is probably a better way to go. Paths just weren't made for speed.

What the above posters said is correct. You will not have the same scavenging with true dual pipes and lose your torque. I suggest staying with a Y-pipe and either a 2.25" or a 2.50" pipe depending on your Y-pipe outlet size. You can still go to dual pipes without issues as long as you use an X-pipe. The only problem with using dual exhaust is you need to get creative with fitment because it's difficult to run a dual pipe under the truck. The frame is just set up like that for some reason.

Before you go to a dual pipes, you want to know your local laws about modifying the exhaust. There are some states that say if your vehicle never came with a dual exhaust then it can't have one.

Theoretically, if you can get creative, an X-pipe design will be superior to a Y-pipe design. You can use dual mufflers (and maybe dual catalytic converters for whatever reason) to reduce the back pressure in the system while still having a quiet ride. For dual pipes you don't want anything larger than 2 inch.

The other way to do this properly is to use a single in and dual out muffler. Then you have less piping (and only a single converter) while having the look you are going for. Dual out mufflers also have an advantage where the exhaust gasses can exit much easier and that may even add up to efficiency.

You can even combine those two ideas and have X pipes and dual out mufflers but that might get kind of ridiculous. :lol:

Basically anything goes as long as it is not a true dual.

• Like 1

I am a slow driver, my pathfinder is currently running with about 12'' of exhaust pipe after Y union, I could not tell a difference between current and before with stock exhaust and now almost open headers. I have listened to several exhaust sound clips on youtube and I don't care for any of them except this, but it is a dohc...

I agee with everyone here; sounds like a fart rocket/ rice burner

if you do; if you want my two cents do a stight pipe

Ill throw up a link if you want me to of me doing

a duel piple with 2.5 on them and the sound of it

but.... that got me into a -4 last time i posted it here :blush:

Here you go; alittle video editing but the sound is 100% of my old pathfinder dual exhaust system

it's a automatic transmission with a heavy mod to transmission to get the rpm past 4k so

it may sound odd to those who don't know my mod work

[media=]

[/media]

haha so true! About to put 20 in her today.. that may get me a few more days! B)

Gas is really going quick now that I have the a/c kinda working (I replaced the idler pulley and installed a new belt, blows cold but linkage for airflow direction isn't working and its blowing out of defrost/floor)

Edited by MadMax2

Eh not too bad, My 65 volkswagen was a lot louder, I had a header and a stinger, and if you know anything about old volkswagens... they are made of a lot of thin metal with little sound deading material... well little back in 1965, so just about none. I could get next to straight pipe harley's and make their riders cover their ears. My MR2 was louder as well, it was straight pipe with about 2 feet of pipe from the collector, with its gearing I was at 4,000rpm at 70mph+, drove it from Houston to New York like that lol. Loud exhaust is in my DNA.

If you want your truck to rumble without loosing power and not wasting a ton of money. Order the following parts from Advanced Auto Parts or anywhere else and have someone install them.

MagnaFlow Universal Catalytic Converter

Part No 53004

Thrush Welded Muffler

Part No 17655

I don't like converters. That aftermarket magnaflow normally will last a year or two before the insides wear down and you begin failing smog tests. Plus advance is too expensive.. http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-53004-Universal-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B000COWZRU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347057318&sr=8-2&keywords=MagnaFlow+Universal+Catalytic+Converter 47.00 free shipping for us prime users.

I decided to make everyone happy including my wallet. I picked up a flowmaster 40 series 2.5 in/out for 10 bucks at a junk yard and my exhaust shop is supposed to install it for 20 keeping the piping the same over the axle back. I slid the muffler over the cut pipe today and it sounded pretty quiet. I'm going to be moving to PA soon in a county they don't do smog testing, I will call a inspector up there to see if they do a visual for the converter before I leave Texas.

I don't like converters. That aftermarket magnaflow normally will last a year or two before the insides wear down and you begin failing smog tests.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of people here would disagree.

• Like 1

If you live in a non smog state, you can forget the converter. If you need to pass emissions then you have to use a converter. Simple as that.

While newer catalytic converters are more efficient than ever, especially Magnaflow, they are not fail proof. Running rich will kill them really fast and you cannot avoid running rich because you will run rich every time the engine has to warm up so the converter takes a huge blow every time. If you wheel on trails where there is grass and such you can risk setting everything on fire with a hot catalytic converter especially when it starts to get plugged. The only real drawback of not running a catalytic converter is the smell from the exhaust but you shouldn't be sniffing that anyway.

If you must run a catalytic converter, as a rule of thumb the metallic core converters are superior to ceramic core converters in both durability and efficiency but running either is fine.

In short, catalytic converters have some really good benefits and some really nasty drawbacks. If you can avoid using one, do so.

^^^^^^^^^ I agree with the last post

I got it all installed today, 30 bucks total invested. Took a quick video after leaving the exhaust shop. NOTE: the video I took of my exhaust open y pipe was with the windows rolled up, this video is taken with front windows down.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by MadMax2