what's the first mod you would make on a 2000 pathy?

bushnut

so i just bought a 00 Pathy and the first trip went great. the truck is stock now but, not for long! thought this would be a fun topic.

a couple of questions though. whats the largest tire size i can fit without a BL or SL? and how easy is it to change a mass air flow sensor?

The first question you need to ask yourself is.."what do I want to do with this vehicle"? Is it going on trails, light or difficult? Towing, mall crawling, multipurpose daily driver? I say this jokingly, but you can forget about a body lift!(2000's have no frame, unibody!). If you are not sure, you should browse the Members rides section at the bottom of the main page. Some people do different things so it's nice to. Get a different perspective on things. Otherwise, a good tire will do a lot for you.

X2 on all account. The complete purpose can help with good guidance as a lot of trucks around here (from all generations) serve their owners quite well with minimal upgrades and more just maintnance and wearable things upgraded (like said as well a well suited tire can do wonders). The members rides section can definatly help spend your time and money as well, you never know what little unthought of thing might be in a build that you think is awesome and you MUST do!

Why do you need to change your MAF sensor? It's secured by 2 T20 Torx bits; they might be security Torx bits too. Be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal before disconnecting the wiring harness.

Edited by Towncivilian

The first thing I'd do it sell it and buy a real Pathfinder :lmao:

Just giving you @!*% buddy.

:stickwack:

Technically a subframe drop could be considered a bodylift. All in how you look at it :shrug: (me defending anything caR50? Something's glitched!)

Aweee... :wub:

a real pathfinder? all the pre 98's here in winterpeg have died of cancer long ago. :FartExplode-vi: as for the Mass air flow...judging by how dirty my air filter was when i bought it, the sensor must be filthy. i figure i'll just clean it with electrical contact cleaner. speaking of cancer.. the pathys got it all along the fender wells, i think my first winter project will be to cut it out and add in some fender flares. can't seem to find any though that don't cost an arm and a leg.. any ideas?

I agree with knowing what you want to do with it.... I've built a few jeeps in my day, and helped more than one friend build a truck. First thing I always say is that you can only build 3 types of rigs.. Either great on road, great off road, or kinda crappy vehicle that barely does either of them. Not many people have rigs that are good on road, and off road, it's not an easy balance to pull off..

What do you want to do with it is the question? Myself, biggest tires factory set up can fit, and a lunchbox locker in the rear....

But, that's me.. On my jeeps, it's always been a little lift(1-2inch), winch, and a lunchbox... Can go just about anywhere with those 3 things..

Len

• Like 1

... First thing I always say is that you can only build 3 types of rigs.. Either great on road, great off road, or kinda crappy vehicle that barely does either of them.

:lol: Welp, that explains why my R50 is so crappy.

Don't feel alone, I believe that applies to me also... :unsure:

x74 on knowing what you want to achieve before you start to make sure you don't waste time and $. For example, tires should always be upgraded but you don't know what type or size to buy until you identify your usage.

B

so what's it for...I live to close to work to drive everyday, yes i ride a bike, 6km takes about 25min. mostly it's gonna be for camping, I hate paying for sleeping in a tent so I tend to get off the beaten path. second is for hunting, again I tend to hit the back country so I don't get shot by truck hunters. I'm thinking better tires and a winch i can hook up to the 2" receiver and maybe a roof basket to hold all my extra crap.

any thoughts on wade depth without a snorkel? being an x maritimer i can't swim.

OK, if it is mainly for camping/back country, you want a good AT tire at least, perhaps a MT, the receiver winch is a great idea, and you probably want a suspension lift for ground and tire clearance. I'd stop there to see how it fairs for your needs.

How deep can you ford? Ask Devonianwalk... :lol: Basically, you don't want to try anything deeper than the hood and since the airbox in in the front corner, the initial dip can cause problems, not to mention if you get stuck mid crossing. I highly recommend caution and preperation before you consider any serious maritime adventures.

Look in the R50 section to read up on lifts and tire size/backspacing.

B

This might be silly, but have you checked over the general condition of the truck? Checked for loose ball joints, leaks, changed all the fluids (including diffs and t-case), tuned it up etc? Mods are awesome but in my personal experience modding leads to replacing factory parts along the way. :)

so CV boots and sway bar end links were replaced before i bought it. just changed oil/filter and ATF (full synth) this morning. i'm gonna do diffs and T-case next month. replaced the air filter already. I'm borrowing a obd 2 reader next week to figure out the service engine light. i think it's the MASS air sensor. the boots on the front struts are toast so i figure thats the first major repair i'll have to do.

Don't forget to change power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant, fuel filter, and the cabin air filter. Grease the driveshafts every oil change with any NLGI No. 2 lithium soap base grease containing molybdenum disulphide. Valvoline SynPower is commonly available at many auto parts stores and is a great synthetic grease that contains moly.

Adjust accelerator and cruise wires. See page FE-3 and EL-194 of the factory service manual, respectively, for instructions.

Also, download a copy of the factory service manual. To save a copy of the FSM, right click -> Save As on every PDF, save them into a single folder, then use fwd.pdf to navigate.

Edited by Towncivilian

Adjust accelerator and cruise wires? :unsure:

You can disassemble the MAF and clean the 3 elements. Be very gentle and I recommend using alcohol, preferably tequila. JK, isopropyl of course and a Q tip. Make sure all the pins in the connector are in place and well connected, some dielectric grease couldn't hurt. Hopefully that will deal with any MAF issues.

whats the largest tire size i can fit without a BL or SL?

I honestly don't know and it depends on what rim and back spacing you are using too.

B

was crawling under "rusty" today but didn't see any grease nipples on the drive shaft....just realized the gutter road we could follow if i asked where to put the lube...lets not go there. :ban:

Cabin air filter??? ok ok i'll download the FSM.

thanks for all the tips.

i'll post some pics as soon as i figure out how to use the camera.

crawled under rusty again, and no grease points on the drive shaft at either end. my drive shaft is just a big tube with a joint at either end. it doesn't look like the above drawing at all.