offroading hood placement

Nice186

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone has placed lights on their hood like how the jeeps have? i was thinking about buying the mounts from the jeeps and maybe seeing if it would work on the pathy, but i think i should ask here before i go spenting money. Also if you have photo that would be great. THANKS! :happy:

You can place LED strips on the hood if you wanted to. In Japan, all trucks must have the turn signals placed below the headlamps and no light can be combined, which is why Pathfinders have them there.

Some states have light laws where anything above the headlight needs to be covered for on road use. That being said, I've thought many times about mounting one of my singles up by the windshield

"all trucks must have the turn signals placed below the headlamps and no light can be combined, which is why Pathfinders have them there."

What does this have to do with lights mounted on the hood?

I've seen pics on here where someone mounted a pair of lights to the top of the fenders, in the area where the antenna would be (both sides), someone will find the post.

"all trucks must have the turn signals placed below the headlamps and no light can be combined, which is why Pathfinders have them there."

What does this have to do with lights mounted on the hood?

Nothing. The law is you can't do it. In the USA though I don't think anyone cares as long as the signals are there.

so per your reply, "all trucks must have TURN SIGNALS placed below the headlights", again nothing to do with what was originally asked, if your reply has nothing to do with the original question, why not just not reply? Not trying to start a fight just stating the obvious.

And as Nunya pointed out, some states require lights to be covered when on the road, other states could care less. The OP is from NY, close to where I am from, I was never given a hard time about my lights being uncovered while on the street, and I'm talking my large Hella Rally 2000's, granted I did get pulled over one time for having the rear facing one's on, but that was for turning them on for the idiot behind me who had his high beams on, and who also turned out to be a cop in an unmarked car !!! But even he didn't say a word about not having the lights covered.

Most of the time the cops don't give people a hard time if you are being a good boy/girl, if your going to drive around flashing your lights at other cars for no reason than you will probably get pulled over.

Ok now I see. He is asking about lights on the hood and not turn signals. I mentioned LED strips on the hood for that. So much for my attention span... :friday:

You can definitely do rally style lights on the hood. Getting them to fit nicely is a different story because there are no aftermarket adapters made for this.

You can definitely do rally style lights on the hood. Getting them to fit nicely is a different story because there are no aftermarket adapters made for this.

the reason for this thread! lol but like i said before doesnt jeeps have a like adapter that u place on the windshield?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-95-Jeep-CJ7-Wrangler-Rampage-Windshield-Light-Brackets-/271020181867?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1a0fc96b&vxp=mtr

but we will have to drill in our pathys

also saw these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KC-HiLites-Bracket-Jeep-Hood-Light-Mount-Pair-of-2-/180782944525?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1780d10d&vxp=mtr

i think the way crazyhayseed did it was awesome but i read his thread and still have no idea how he did it. i left a comment on his thread but seeing it over 2 years old, im not sure if he will response haha

Judging by the other custom fab on his truck, Hayseed may have made the adapters himself.

IMG_0918.jpg

Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to replicate the mounts. They probably share a bolt with the fender, beneath the cowl.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I would secure the lights to the hood inserts. You can modify them and if you ever want to go back you can just get new inserts.

and if you make a pair of mounts like Hayseed did you wouldn't have to modify anything, as was said they probably bolt to one of the fender bolts and just sit in the gap between the hood and fender, kind of like some of the CB antenna mounts that are out there.

As for the OP's 2 links, the first one will not work because the older Jeeps have a windshield frame that the mount bolts too, the pathfinder (and hardbody) obviously the door wraps around the front and covers the edge of the windshield. So to do something like the Jeep mount you would need to mount the light to the door.

The second link, the mounts just bolt to the hood hinge on the Jeep, you could bolt those to the pathfinder hood but if you did I would definitely add a plate on the inside of the hood, the metal is very thin.

A long time ago I had a calendar that had some nice California style trucks in it, one of the pictures was a pre runner Nissan Hardbody and it had a light on each side I think in place of the mirrors, I guess as long as you have the inside rear view mirror you don't legally have to have the side mirrors so that could be doable. I have the picture still I'll dig it out tomorrow and see if I can scan it.

Just found this mount, these are designed for the Ford Raptor and are expensive but you could probably make something similiar:

256aelj.jpg

they are from :

http://www.outlawraptor.com/23914/404/406/5303/orp-hood-light-mount-outlaw-raptor-hood-light-mount-bolt-on.html

Edited by ahardb0dy

Offroad racers use to mount lights here. If you notice on many of them they had some sort of glare shield in place too.

I for one wouldn't many any lights there for a few reasons.

#1 possible glare

#2 you create blind spot during the day and really bad at night due to the intense amount of light shining out of them. Nothing like having the bright lights spots in your eyes while trying to drive at night.

#3 You're going to create a really wicked shadow at the front of your truck unless you have some lights shining down there to correct the problem.

#4 I don't think it looks good.

However it's your ride and I'm sure I've done stuff to mine that others think looks like @!*%. Just giving you my opinion just in case you cared to know what other's thought of the idea.

Offroad racers use to mount lights here. If you notice on many of them they had some sort of glare shield in place too.

I for one wouldn't many any lights there for a few reasons.

#1 possible glare

#2 you create blind spot during the day and really bad at night due to the intense amount of light shining out of them. Nothing like having the bright lights spots in your eyes while trying to drive at night.

#3 You're going to create a really wicked shadow at the front of your truck unless you have some lights shining down there to correct the problem.

#4 I don't think it looks good.

However it's your ride and I'm sure I've done stuff to mine that others think looks like @!*%. Just giving you my opinion just in case you cared to know what other's thought of the idea.

Thanks for the opinion but the only reason I will use these light will be when I go offroading so most of the problems you said wont apply to me as I'm not driving on the street with them on. Also the mounts from the raptor looks like it can be fit in between the fender and hood, a good drilling to the holes would be all that is needed.

Also that photo of the calendar would be great if you can find it.

Another thing, I don't have a welder so I wouldn't kno how to built a brakets from the bottom up, I was hoping I can go to like a homedepot or lowes and buy a bracket there and mod it alil to fit on the hood somewhere. Thanks for the help guys! I'm getting a lot of ideas now

I would secure the lights to the hood inserts. You can modify them and if you ever want to go back you can just get new inserts.

Which hood inserts are you talking about? The three in the front where the air flows in? Or the two near the wind shield wipers? How would you go to taking them apart?

I think Tungsten's talking about the three fake air vents in the hood. (They don't actually pass air.)

You might be able to adapt some mounts from something else. Looks like the only welding in Hayseed's mounts is at the bottom of the triangle. If you could find a mount (at Home Depot or something, probably for hanging joists or flower pots or something), you could bend the rest of it to work and drill the holes bigger if needed.

Or, with the mirrors... if you've got manual side mirrors, you could french some smaller lights into the fronts of the mirror housings. That would be pretty cool.

ummmm... not sure I should ask this... But...............

What are those stains on the picture from?

lmao

it was a pretty sweet truck back in the day :shrug: (the stripes and double blade wipers might be a tad dated for even me :lol: )