New R50 in AZ

Rybob

Hello all! I have recently purchased a 96 Pathy with 129,000 Miles. So far it has nothing done to it besides 16" aftermarket wheels and it is at the tire shop right now getting the 31" Pathfinder brand tires replaced. Found this site while i was researching the backend play my truck seems to have and so far liking it! I will post pics of my truck when i pick it up from the tire store!

\

Thank you all for the welcome. As promised i have pics of the rig now that its at home (cell pics sorry).

A little more about me:

I am Ryan, 20 years old and this Nissan is my 7th rig. I've been into off road since my 4th rig, which was a Baja bug. I've been into 4x4 since my last vehicle which was a 97 TJ wrangler. It was lifted, locked, with a winch, better tires, shocks, quick disconnects, and a bunch of goodies but i'll just post a pic so you can see for your self. I sold that to pay for college, and move up to Flagstaff, AZ and with my left over funds i purchased this Pathfinder. I was looking for a 4runner, but the owner of this had 3k in receipts from Nissan in the last year ( Ac components all new, Clutch new, and a bunch of other stuff) and with only 129,000 miles for right around $3k, it seemed like a bargain.

Only thing i have done to the pathfinder thus far is put struts, shocks, control arms, speakers, sub, and a headunit in it.

PLANS:

2" AC lift. Not sure when because i just did suspension work :blush: (Maybe if i get another vehicle I'll do SFD but i don't want to tear into that quite yet)

CB radio

Lockers (hopefully, this is my daily driver)

Warn hubs

Rock sliders (really like the Super Sliders that Offtourroadie96 has on his, just not sure when i'll come across an extra 400$)

Other than that, I put around 250 miles a week on this thing and its been great to me (other than my MPG which i have to look into. Getting 15 BEST highway)

Other than that, seemed like a friendly, informative Forum so i joined up to learn more about this truck since i plan on keeping it a while!

Here is a chronological history of my noteworthy vehicles so you can get to know me a little better

Here is the baja bug

IMG_20101120_162127.jpg

here is the Jeep

P6050051-1.jpg

P6050050-1.jpg

P6030017.jpg

P6030020.jpg

And here is my Pathy

IMG_20120809_130546.jpg

IMG_20120809_130557.jpg

Edited by Rybob

Welcome to the Nissan family Ryan. Sounds like you did get a good buy and a nice looking rig to boot. Honestly, the AC lift is just four springs. Since you just had the shocks and struts replaced all you would have to do is install the springs! I'm with you on the SFD and this being my current daily driver as well. I need to hurry and finish installing the new motor in my wife's car so I can get my (totally awesome ... Nunya) regular daily driver back.

Thanks for the pics. That was a beast of a Jeep!

Thanks for the welcome! I just found out today that i didn't need longer shocks (thanks to the search function) and i am looking into getting that lift soon. My only problem is that i don't want to pay $80 for the cheapest shipping from 4x4parts! But back to the search function to see if there is any other vendors out there I suppose!

I see you have the AC lift, how do you like the ride? I heard it helps a lot off road, but then again i haven't taken mine out yet because it won't go in 4LO at the moment. :angry:

Kinda looking forward to going however, as i found out today i've got the LSD rear end, which i'm sure sounds cooler than it is but still... it's enough to get me anxious!

The AC lift just gives you a couple of inches of ground clearance as the Pathy is pretty stout stock. The first thing I noticed after the lift was the loss of the "comfy" ride. It now feels more like a truck (which is not a bad thing!).

I'm curious as to why you can't go into 4LO?

I am curious as well. I have referred to my trusty Haynes manual (sarcasm, its useless in the transfercase section) on that one and it simply says "Worn or damaged internal components may cause difficulty in shifting, replacement or overhaul or transfercase may be necessary". I posted a topic in the R50 section, hopefully someone has had this problem and knows the answer. I am thinking it may be the linkage or fork? But then shouldn't i be having problems with neutral and 4hi as well?

Thanks for the welcome! I just found out today that i didn't need longer shocks (thanks to the search function) and i am looking into getting that lift soon. My only problem is that i don't want to pay $80 for the cheapest shipping from 4x4parts! But back to the search function to see if there is any other vendors out there I suppose!

Welcome!

A little trick about 4x4parts that worked for me... Instead of adding the springs to your shopping cart as a set, search for them, then add them separately (front and rear). I did it this way and the shipping quote was about 30 bucks less! Hope that makes sense and can save you some cash.

Edited by erathge

welcome aboard I'm new here too but this is a great group if guys and gals on here. had a problem and with there help I was able to get it fixed and working right. my dad is down in scottsdale , when i drive down maybe we can link up and do some trails. never been 4x4ing before , BUT no i have a truck that i like and will do it ( with some new parts) . but like I said before welcome to the site

Welcome!

Download a copy of the factory service manual, it'll blow your Haynes manual out of the water. To save a copy of the FSM, right click -> Save As on every PDF, save them into a single folder, then use fwd.pdf to navigate.

Your wobbling from the rear is caused by worn trailing arm bushings. See NTB98-001 PATHFINDER VEHICLE PULL AND FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION EXCESSIVE PLAY.

If you haven't yet, get your Pathfinder inspected for the strut housing corrosion recall.

That is one NICE looking R50 and even has the coveted tire carrier package. They are pretty capable with just a decent set of tires and it looks like you have them too. :aok: Just keep the inner strut tower area clean and it will serve you forever. The post above pretty much says it all. Also, have you got a transmission cooler on that? I'm assuming it's an automatic.

Edited by Tungsten

welcome aboard I'm new here too but this is a great group if guys and gals on here. had a problem and with there help I was able to get it fixed and working right. my dad is down in scottsdale , when i drive down maybe we can link up and do some trails. never been 4x4ing before , BUT no i have a truck that i like and will do it ( with some new parts) . but like I said before welcome to the site

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! I am up in Flagstaff for college right now, but i frequent trips down to Mesa, and Luke Air Force base! Most the time when i go off road however, its down at Bulldog Canyon or the Coves at Saguaro Lake! I know what you mean being new to off road, as i was that way just about a year and a half ago so (relatively speaking) I still am! Shoot me a PM if you want to go sometime!

My group usually consists of my Pathfinder, A 01 Tundra 4x4 (non TRD though), a 98 Expedition 4x4, and an old faithful (kinda) 90 XJ Cherokee! So I could definetely use another Nissan lover around haha!

Download a copy of the factory service manual, it'll blow your Haynes manual out of the water. To save a copy of the FSM, right click -> Save As on every PDF, save them into a single folder, then use fwd.pdf to navigate.

Your wobbling from the rear is caused by worn trailing arm bushings. See NTB98-001 PATHFINDER VEHICLE PULL AND FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION EXCESSIVE PLAY.

If you haven't yet, get your Pathfinder inspected for the strut housing corrosion recall.

Wow thanks i just got that download started! I read that is what the wobble is from, i heard its commonly referred to as the "death wobble"? I am looking into finding poly bushings for the back end so i only have to go back there once! And i was thinking about just doing it when i install my AC lift springs in (hopefully) about a month!

And for the rust thing yes i got that checked out because my Pathfinder is originally from Michigan!!! :ph33r: However, Carfax and registration indicate that it was bought new in Michigan in 1996, and re-registered in Gilbert, Arizona in 1998 SO virtually NO rust! :laugh:

I was biting my fingernails as i found out about the recall the day AFTER i put new control arms, struts, shocks, and got the windows tinted!

That is one NICE looking R50 and even has the coveted tire carrier package. They are pretty capable with just a decent set of tires and it looks like you have them too. :aok: Just keep the inner strut tower area clean and it will serve you forever. The post above pretty much says it all. Also, have you got a transmission cooler on that? I'm assuming it's an automatic.

Thank you i think its pretty clean too! My buddy has a 4runner that he bought around the same time, and when he saw my hearty looking Pathfinder he was immediately jealous!

When he figured out that i paid less than half for a similar rig with WAY less miles, well the look was priceless! :laugh:

And by the way i am not sure on the transmission cooler but no sir its NOT an Auto! Its a donut loving 5 speed with LSD! :tongue:

Edited by Rybob

On the... jeep cough cough :ph33r:, I usually just used Fram Tough Guard, but i really don't know enough about the Pathy yet to have a preference .

Edited by Rybob

The lower-tiered Fram filters have lousy construction for the price. They have cardboard end caps and relatively little filtering media. The Fram ExtraGuard filters, lovingly referred to as "orange cans of death", have nitrile anti-drainback valves, while the ToughGuard filters have silicone ADBVs and somewhat more media than the ExtraGuard filters. Nitrile can become brittle with extended exposure to heat.

Purolator, Bosch, Wix/NAPA Gold, or even a Motorcraft FL822 are better and generally cheaper choices. See this post on NICOclub for more information about oil and filters.

Bosch is what i have in there now. PO did a oil change the day i bought it, good thing i didn't put a fram in there yet then! Thanks for the info! You have oil brand reccomendations as its due for a change in about 1000 miles?

EDIT: Just read a LITTLE farther down on that link. Amazing how questions answer themselves haha

Edited by Rybob

Thank you all for the welcome! I have been picking up hours like crazy at work so hopefully i can buy those springs before too long! Just gotta offset the damage to my bank account that college tuition does before i can do anything crazy :/