Seat belts don't want to go back

Adelard of Bath

Just bring it to a Nissan dealership and they'll replace them for free! I had the same thing going on with my 94 and read on one of the boards about the lifetime warranty on seatbelts. The dealer replaced them as soon as they could order them, no questions asked. That was just earlier this summer.

About a year+ ago I pulled that panel that the belt feed through, and shaved the opening slot for the belt with a razor knife so the belt feeds through more freely. This helped it go from almost not retracting except by hand, to probably 80% of what it would be new, with only an occasional bit of help needed. Free couple minute fix!

The mechanism is pretty simple, but I didn't really see if you could tighten it up. That free Nissan replacement would be nice.

Just bring it to a Nissan dealership and they'll replace them for free! I had the same thing going on with my 94 and read on one of the boards about the lifetime warranty on seatbelts. The dealer replaced them as soon as they could order them, no questions asked. That was just earlier this summer.

Iv'e read a few posts on other boards that it's a recall....I haven't asked yet up here but as abomb1 said, I believe most people have them replaced for free. I think an oldy like my '90 they would say no...? So I just continually slam them in the door. :D

Just bring it to a Nissan dealership and they'll replace them for free!  I had the same thing going on with my 94 and read on one of the boards about the lifetime warranty on seatbelts.  The dealer replaced them as soon as they could order them, no questions asked.  That was just earlier this summer.

Iv'e read a few posts on other boards that it's a recall....I haven't asked yet up here but as abomb1 said, I believe most people have them replaced for free. I think an oldy like my '90 they would say no...? So I just continually slam them in the door. :D

I think its more of a federally regulated issue than a factory warranty deal. Seatbelts should never fail, so I would try for the free replacement no matter what year your vehicle is.

I was working on a Nissan dealership about 6 months ago. I asked the service manager about it and he said mine just needed cleaned, he was right I pulled all kinds of crap from the top guide. As for year, I know the previous owner of my 88 had taken it in this past year for new latches under warantee, as Abomb1 stated it's open ended warantee on seat belts, and I think Air bags as well.

There was a TSB on this that involved cleaning and a little teflon tape (I think). The cleaning of the guides has been addressed in the forums here before. Try a good search in the 90 days and older realm on seatbelt to see if you can pick it up.

Good luck.

You can try this...worked for me, at least somewhat.

sandpaper.jpg

I used 400 grit sandpaper, tore it into a thin strip, then fed it under the seatbelt under and back out of the hanger, then you just grip the sandpaper along with the seatbelt and run it back and forth through the hanger using the belt to stroke it back and forth. Removes 99% of the built-up crap on the hanger and makes the belt slide much smoother through on it's way in and out.