Replacing door hinges

Slartibartfast

My driver's front hinges are truly wiped... the bushings aren't worn out, but they've somehow frozen to the pins, which have been turning in the mounting plates (that bolt to the body), hogging them out severely. So I went on fleabay and bought a set of hinge plates :clickdalink: which came today.

Only problem is... both bags say lower hinge. And the invoice says two lower hinges as well.

I checked the part number (80422-01G00), and the number seems to check out for every door hinge on the car... which seems odd. That, and the left and right side hinges look different to me (offset bolts).

The only difference from the stock parts (that I can see) is that they both have a little barb sticking out like a door stop, right next to the hinge which only one (upper IIRC) has stock. I don't think these are OEM, so that doesn't really concern me (and could easily be solved).

Anyone done this? Does this sound right? I'm going to pretty well destroy the existing hardware removing it, so I want to be sure I have the right replacement bits. (I already have new pins and bushings.)

Edited by Slartibartfast

Turns out the kit was one driver's upper and one passenger's lower. Same hinge. Dunno why the bags are marked driver's lower, they couldn't possibly go there.

I asked the seller about it, and apparently they couldn't be bothered, because they're refunding me. Can't complain, just have to find a driver's lower now.

Its a little confusing but there are only two part numbers for front door hinges on these vehicles. The passenger side upper hinge is also the driver side lower hinge and vise-versa. You flip them to fit.

80402-01G00 = RH upper and LH lower

80422-01G00 = RH lower and LH upper

Hope this helps

Edited by Alkorahil

Thanks Rob! Finally found the right parts.

Oddly enough, the 80422-01G00 is really easy to find. They're all over ebay, dirt cheap. I only found one seller with an 80402-01G00 (and they didn't know what they had). Even on Factory Nissan Parts, the 80402 is more expensive. :scratchhead:

I wish R50s used traditional door hinges with pins & bushings. I need to replace my driver door hinges since the door sags, and they look like a pain to replace. They're expensive new (at least compared to pins & bushings), and there are no aftermarket parts available.

Yeah, I saw some r50 hinges when I was looking for these... probably about 2x the cost of doing hinges on a WD.

I understand that these were built to a price point, and for a certain life span, but it always seems like the manufacturer's crapping in its own bed with lousy designs and overpriced replacement bits. I love my truck but the company that made it... not so much.

And that was even before I saw the Murano convertible! :lol:

Yeah, I saw some r50 hinges when I was looking for these... probably about 2x the cost of doing hinges on a WD.

I understand that these were built to a price point, and for a certain life span, but it always seems like the manufacturer's crapping in its own bed with lousy designs and overpriced replacement bits. I love my truck but the company that made it... not so much.

And that was even before I saw the Murano convertible! :lol:

Are you crazy, these trucks are built a lot better than most in their time. Check out an explorer or blazer of the same generation and see how loose/worn all the body parts are.

All doors but the driver's side open and close smoothly just as they did when new. The driver door was damaged in an accident and presumably was removed from the vehicle for repainting and dent removal. There's some rust in the inner corner and they forgot to remove a dent there, so I had to Bondo it so it wouldn't obliterate the door switch after 2 door slams.

DSC09263.jpg

Maybe the accident damaged the door hinges as well somehow.

Even on Factory Nissan Parts, the 80402 is more expensive. :scratchhead:

I just work here :shrug:

Mr Nissan sets the base cost and prices.

Because its description and part identifier is a RH body part, that may be the reason why.

RH body parts tend to be a few more dollars than LH body parts because statistically more accidents damage/happen on the RH side and Mr Nissan knows this statistic and also knows insurance companies have to replace it. :happy:

Same reason why body parts in general tend to be high......

LOL wasn't blaming you... but yeah, that explains it! I knew collision parts were jacked up, didn't know they did it by side though... that's crazy. Thanks for the info!

Seems like there'd be a bigger aftermarket for them, though, with the increased demand. :scratchhead:

LOL wasn't blaming you... but yeah, that explains it! I knew collision parts were jacked up, didn't know they did it by side though... that's crazy. Thanks for the info!

Seems like there'd be a bigger aftermarket for them, though, with the increased demand. :scratchhead:

Yeah, on almost any given body part the right side will cost more than the left.