Hood louvers

crue313

Does anyone here use hood louvers on there pathy. I would really like to see some pictures. I just like the look of them on a few other trucks I've seen and I can totally see the advantages of using them. I wonder if there would be a way to make my own.

XJ people tend to favor boat vents as louvers (which I think actually flows good on their boxy lines as well, which would transfer over to a wd21 as well), there was another member here (forget the name currently) who was contemplating a louver setup and had some possible materials... I'll search later on that one. One of the Aussies I belive did a WRX style scoop to help feed an intercooler, I think it was CrazyMax or something like that that did an offset scoop for a similar reason, mines a Toyota SR5 scoop with none of the trim guts in it (so it actuall does something :lol: ). As I think of more and when not on my phone I can update with pics as I find them :aok:

Cool sounds good. So boat louvers huh? I use to have a wrx, till it was sadly repoed, so I know I could find a rex scoop somewhere. I might just have to look for some louvers cheap on ebay..

3005230_1_full.jpg

3005230_2_full.jpg

CrazzyMax (I was close) and his offset scoop

and it was kiwipete, a NZ member I was thinking of with the WRX-ish scoop

IMG_0075.jpg

an XJ hood with marine/boat vents

imagesqtbnANd9GcRKWjfmBwWMk7y5O80kSPouCa3t3urnvKDtyEGhVDWypz-1SPBfmQ.jpg

For good measure my SR5 hood

1253752956.jpg

been thinking the 'vents' from a H2 or H3 opened up and functional could be a neat looking setup as well, but I ain't buying one :lol:

Hmm I like this idea but this may be a dumb question but isn't there a chance that water can go though it? Like I said I'm new to this, my first time seeing this haha

Sure water can get in... not like the intake's underneath it, though. Unless it's raining buckets and you've got a cracked distributor cap it should be okay.

I've wondered a few times if the stock 'vents' on the front of the hood could be hollowed out, and if they'd do any good that way.

Hmm I like this idea but this may be a dumb question but isn't there a chance that water can go though it? Like I said I'm new to this, my first time seeing this haha

Yup, it can. With vents like the boat ones, when moving it will pass over them but with the scoop styles, you can get some moisture. The 2 I show that ain't mine are for feeding intercoolers on TD trucks IIRC, mine was more for the "it's mine, I like it" factor and has the added bonus of jamming some cooler air in between the fenders. After a long drive in the rain it's no wetter than it would be with a sealed hood as it's just te stuff from the road getting kicked up under there, anything from te scoop evaporates of the top of the motor, short ride or after washing only sees a couple drops on the top of the air cleaner lid (remember, I have TBI so I got that big round plate for a little to lay on until it warms up) And I keep my distributer sealed so I don't really worry about that.

Yup, it can. With vents like the boat ones, when moving it will pass over them but with the scoop styles, you can get some moisture. The 2 I show that ain't mine are for feeding intercoolers on TD trucks IIRC, mine was more for the "it's mine, I like it" factor and has the added bonus of jamming some cooler air in between the fenders. After a long drive in the rain it's no wetter than it would be with a sealed hood as it's just te stuff from the road getting kicked up under there, anything from te scoop evaporates of the top of the motor, short ride or after washing only sees a couple drops on the top of the air cleaner lid (remember, I have TBI so I got that big round plate for a little to lay on until it warms up) And I keep my distributer sealed so I don't really worry about that.

Thanks for the info, now i know and i will look into them more now. thanks alot man!

thanks for the reminder ahardb0dy!

http://up22.com/Nissan.htm

forgot about the up22 glass cowl hoods, flat nose only (no vents) avalable in flat-3 3/4" cowl-6"-7"-and 9" with the option of latch style, pin style still hinged, and full pin down. They claim only for 93+ Hbs but as we all know the 93+ HB hood bolts directly onto any wd21/d21 with 4 bolts and a washer hose :lol:

thanks for the reminder ahardb0dy!

http://up22.com/Nissan.htm

forgot about the up22 glass cowl hoods, flat nose only (no vents) avalable in flat-3 3/4" cowl-6"-7"-and 9" with the option of latch style, pin style still hinged, and full pin down. They claim only for 93+ Hbs but as we all know the 93+ HB hood bolts directly onto any wd21/d21 with 4 bolts and a washer hose :lol:

Damn you Nunya! That is my favorite style hood. I had one on my old chevy.

19resize1.jpg

I just put a black hood from a 94 D21 on my pathy. My hood was an after market piece of crap and I really like the no vents look. It fit perfect other than the driver corner near the hinge is a hair high from being level with the fender but everything else lines up perfect. I'm going to post a picture in my ride thread and ask how to lower that corner.

I would really like a cowl induction hood though! In the link that you posted, Not that I don't enjoy looking at a model in a bikini but she needs to get her butt out of the way so we can see the hood!

James

Edited by JamesRich
  • Like 1

no problem, I had the fenders from Jim Connor but never installed them, never got the hood,but had hood pins in my factory hood, got tired of watching the front of the hood vibrating up and down ! LOL

Damn you Nunya! That is my favorite style hood. I had one on my old chevy.

I would really like a cowl induction hood though! In the link that you posted, Not that I don't enjoy looking at a model in a bikini but she needs to get her butt out of the way so we can see the hood!

James

I live to give (and spend other peoples money :lol: ), For your hood corner, it's in the hinge most likely, push on it to try to tweak it down. I have to give my hoods a littel persuasion when switching them. Sad thing is I agree on the pics too, I'm more concerned over the hood than the model :shrug:

no problem, I had the fenders from Jim Connor but never installed them, never got the hood,but had hood pins in my factory hood, got tired of watching the front of the hood vibrating up and down ! LOL

thats a saftey device to keep you from getting bored on the hiway!

it may be a safety device, but you know when you get to the point where something is just driving you crazy you have to do something to fix it, and adjusting the rubber bumpers under the hood wasn't working.

Edited by ahardb0dy

it may be a safety device, but you know when you get to the point where something is just driving you crazy you have to do something to fix it, and adjusting the rubber bumpers under the hood wasn't working.

My bug shield would make you getthe noose out!

• Like 1