Is My Baby Running Hot ?

taylormade

Cool weather I never see this instrument panel display . Here the last week or so we have gotten in the 90's here in Michigan and sitting in traffic the red warning lights come on , I drive awhile and get moving at a decent speed down the road and they shut off . Maybe 3 or 4 times on my 1/2 hour ride home from work I get this back and forth and on an off going on .

Like , what up with that ? Fluid levels are good , no leaks from anything under the Finder , new battery an it runs fine and the temp gauge never gets even close to hot .

Okay hhhmmmmmmmmmm ..... The display is ( Alt / Oil Temp ) ( Brake ) ( Battery ) . It's a 98 LE with only 125,000 miles ........9749s3.jpg

309jb13.jpg

Edited by taylormade

Odds are that is it, but also check the battery terminal connections, alternator connections and chassis ground strap connection. Being in a salt state, they may be corroded and not conducting properly...

B

• Like 1

Ok... going to go a bit off topic to say... I like those wheels! Know the specs and name of them? Lol.

Back on topic. Everyone else covered it... but also, all these lights came on once when I dunked my alty in some water while wheeling. Lol. And then later my baattery was shot... so I dunno. Maybe two difff causes for me.

Edited by Kyle94

I believe the life expectancy of your regular off the shelf battery is about 5 years, if you're still rocking the OEM unit you should probably replace it! But just as everyone else has said, those three lights all come on at the same time to let you know that the alternator is not charging the battery at the rate it should be.

WHOA !! Great helpful replies there . Very impressed and appreciative . What Precise1 said there I will check first thing Saturday morning . Or that afternoon depending on if I'm over served Friday night .

Put a new battery in it about two months ago . ( check this out , first day on a new job I jump in the Finder Machine and it won't start . I looked up and said " Lord , you have to be kidding me !! Please make it start ." I got just enough juice from the battery and she fired right up . Straight to AutoZone I drove and swapped the battery right in the parking lot and still made it on time to work !! True story ) . But as I digress , that front fender is really rusted bad and I'll check and clean cables first . Cross my fingers the altenator is good .

Today now at 100 degrees here and I'll be damn if I didn't hit every traffic light on the way home today so I was worried when the lights came on a little bit soon on my drive home . But it runs fine still , stopped and got a coffee and pack of Camels and she fired right back up . Accelerates fine, doesn't run rough or anything I would troubleshoot as a power failure situation . But then again , what do I know . I'm an idiot .

Roger that kyle94 on the tire thing . I'll get the info and post it on my profile there .

Thanks again to all youz with the info , very nice .

well tmoore4512 , I have done nothing to it cuz I'm not sure that is it to be honest . And I'm a lazy ass . I did look under the hood then my beer spilled on the driveway and that took over my attention span and top priority list .

My reasoning is , why not when it is cool out ? Like in the morning I drive to work and the dash lights don't come on . So it is heat related some how . And when they do come on when I'm driving home they will shut off once I get going again If I get stopped at a long stop light they may or may not display again but once I get moving again the lights will shut off . I don't run my a/c so I don't see any extra drain on my alternator or charging system . So I'm more confused than I usually am . I'm thinking more of a cooling system problem myself .

Thanks for asking partner .... :)