The elusive sunroof shade

Trogdor636

So I can now confirm a first gen Xterra sunroof shade will fit our Pathfinders. I had a seen a few things saying it would not fit, but it fits perfectly. The good news? Xterra owners let these go for cheap, I bought mine for 35 bucks. And if you want a brand new one they seem to run a little more than 100 bucks according to Courtesyparts, so check with Alkorahil. At least check the Pathfinder ones are still available, but they were 200 or more. The fabric will most likely be a different material, and depending on whether you have the twist style locks, or the thread style locks. The sunshade I bought has the twist style and I have the thread style in my sunroof, but I've seen a 94 that has the twist lock so its random. In the pic you can see the material (its kind of fuzzy like the visors) and color. Its still hanging down in the back until I get new locks. Now my vehicle and head wont be 400 degrees when the temps hit 100 here, which they already have a few days.

Thanks to Alkorahil for checking part numbers!

783F0119-orig.jpg

the plastic screws should be easy to take out to swap what ever style you have, think they just have like a "C" clip holding them in. Good find on the xterra shade, (not like xterra's are any easier to find in the junkyards!! LOL)

I never use that cover anyway. Mine has been missing for years now. I understand why you would want to cover it but I never have and the only downside was that my plastic vents melted. :lol:

Yea I'm waiting to hear from Alkorahil on the different locks. It looks like they are 2-4 bucks on courtesyparts.com. I posted in a Xterra forum, that's how I found my shade. The big difference is the new price. I see 2 used shades (including a 199 dollar one for a 240SX which fit WD21's.) selling for over 100 bucks, when a new Xterra shade is that much.

Tungsten I promise if you dealt with the heat we do here, you'd want that shade back.

just found a guy on e-bay selling the 2 plastic screws for $30 !! Not sure if this is the right part number, 73893W9070, but if it is online dealer has them for $1.74 each

Definitely notice a difference down here in hot as hell Florida !! LOL

I got lucky and found one at the junkyard a while back, almost didn't see it, the shade wasn't on the sunroof glass or in the truck, when I started to walk away from the PF I noticed something laying on the roof and there it was !

I've found one at a junkyard. It was rapist red, and in two pieces. I still almost bought the damn thing. Is your sunroof a twist or a thread?

Edited by Trogdor636

I still have the one from my 87 hardbody !! might have had the glass in it once, still looks brand new

My 94 is the thread type I think, I remember when I found the shade it had the twist type but I pulled a few of the plastic screws out of another car that the shade was messed up.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I recall there was also a little bag that Nissan gave you to store the cover in. Good luck finding that one!

They pop up on eBay from time to time for 10-30 bucks. They were 100+ new from Nissan.....for a bag....crazy.

Just checked. Bag still available, and depending on color.....105-150 bucks. Good stuff.

Edited by Trogdor636

now that I have the xterra rack on, I won't be removing the sunroof glass any time soon, I wish I didn't have the sunroof, never open it anyway and usually when it's closed all it does is add wind noise, well it did before I added some weatherstripping to the glass now it is quiet.

I've only removed my sunroof twice, once to say I did and it works correctly and once to replace the seal. My cover on the other hand, love it for when I'm actually using the a/c to make 1 less opening for sun to bake and heat my nice chilly air or when knowing it's gonna sit in a sunny area for a good ammount of time to help with it not becoming a super hot box inside (though I usually leave it opened then anyway to help vent)

One day I'll get my windows tinted so I don't have to bake inside after the truck sits in the shops parking lot for 10 hours in 95 degree plus heat !! So hot steering wheel will burn your hands never mind leaning on the console lid !!

when I had my hardbody we would drive over near the airport right inline with the runway and remove the sunroof glass. sit back and look up, than the planes would come in to land, they looked like they were about 10 feet above you, can't do this anymore as they blocked the parking area off due to the National Security thing !!

Edited by ahardb0dy

One more thing to look for next time! Thanks for doing the research for the rest of us. :)

I open mine up when I park it in the sun, but it only does so much... so I've got a little computer fan rigged up to clip into the opening and help keep the air moving. :) Pretty much like the infomercial solar-powered things, only mine plugs into the dome light and cost one easy payment of jack squat.

I never leave the sunroof or windows open down here, every afternoon it rains pretty much, parking at 6:15 and getting back to the yard at 4:00 the truck could be flooded.

Suprisngly when I leave my sunroof open it stays dry when it rains :shrug: I think it has something to do with the fact at home at least I generally park aimed downhill backed against the garage door and the targa bar blocks with runoff from the test of the roof... Just a hairbrained theory...

Went to my local dealer this morning and ordered my threaded locks. $7.12 out the door and they'll be here Wednesday morning. So they are still available so I'll pass on the $30 eBay ones :lol:

And you probably coulda got them cheaper through Alkorahil! Wait, shipping might be the factor there...

Yep, shipping was more than the parts themself. I don't have a dire need for anything else or I would of went through him.....

Yeah I straight up told him it would cost more to ship them then he would save on the parts getting them from me and I totally understand. I always try to point something like that out.

Unless you are getting a lot of small stuff at once or a big ticket item you wont save $ when shipping is always a consideration.

I am here to help first and foremost.