Vacuum Lines

I hope I explain this right. I got my valve covers done. First I got the passenger side done and week later got the driver side done. After I got the driver side done my check engine light came on. Nothing seemed to happen to the pathy, everything seems ok. Well I took it back and found that the vacuum lines had a crack so they replaced several lines. Light went off but after two miles light came back on and I took truck back and they told me that the computer has to reset and it takes some time driving for the light to go out. Just wonder if this sounds right or does this seem fishy.

They checked the codes and it told them vacuum was the problem. They changed the lines.The mechanic told me that you have to drive at a certain speed for some much time to reset the computer.

:scratchhead: I don't think there even is a code for vac leak... they may have seen other codes that they decided indicated a vac leak, but I've never heard of the computer knowing a vac leak when it sees one.

Resetting the computer is dead simple... disconnect the battery for a couple minutes. Maybe turn the lights on/off, put the key to 'on,' just to make sure anything stored is gone. Then hook it back up and presto, it's got amnesia. I've never heard that about it resetting itself if driven at a certain speed.

Check the codes yourself. There's a great writeup on here (in the how-to section IIRC). I have no idea what your mechanic is talking about, but it does sound iffy. The code will tell you which sensor is reading funny, and from there you can figure out what the actual problem is.

My bet is that they bumped an electrical connection when they did the valve cover, and it's making intermittent contact. If the computer says there's a sensor or something that's wrong near there, maybe try checking/cleaning the electrical plugs and things around that side.

I am suspicious that the ECU resets itself at a certain speed, but it does "learn" and adjust certain things when you restart the vehicle. For example, it can adjust to different oxygen levels in different altitudes. There are methods here for checking codes and checking for vacuum leaks. Read and report back!

I am suspicious that the ECU resets itself at a certain speed, but it does "learn" and adjust certain things when you restart the vehicle. For example, it can adjust to different oxygen levels in different altitudes. There are methods here for checking codes and checking for vacuum leaks. Read and report back!

I belive they are thinking of OBD-II or III that will do some 'relearning' by starting to log a new set of data history after being cleared............

I belive they are thinking of OBD-II or III that will do some 'relearning' by starting to log a new set of data history after being cleared............

Alk how long does that take. I been driving several days and light still on. If it does not go off I am going back so they can do more work on vac. lines. I hate seeing the engine light on even though it is not hurting the truck.

Alk how long does that take. I been driving several days and light still on. If it does not go off I am going back so they can do more work on vac. lines. I hate seeing the engine light on even though it is not hurting the truck.

Your vehicle isnt OBD-II..........

But if it was, it would take about 15 minutes of continuous driving.....

Edited by Alkorahil