Broke my keys-What now?

GSeijo

So I broke my 2 keys for the pathy. What do I do now? Do I have to get a new ignition switch with its lock cylinder and keys or only the lock cylinder with keys? And obviously at least driver's side door lock cylinder with key. Idk what would you guys recommend? I really don't care if the door key and the ignition key are different.

Also, so I don't need to start another topic. I travel long distances couple times a month, I've been noticing that after a while driving the center console gets very hot. What should I do? Is it the transmission? Should get a Transmission Oil Cooler? The transmission was fixed about 9 month ago ( it's auto, I so want a swap for a manual).

First issue... I think you can still get keys made to fit what you've got, if there's a Nissan dealer in your area. Or, if you've got both chunks of the broken key, challenge a local locksmith/hardware store to cut a new one.

Second issue... yeah, the autos do generate a fair amount of heat. The heat degrades the fluid, which isn't good for the trans. An aftermarket transmission cooler is a very good idea, and has been covered quite a bit in the WD21 sections. IIRC you can even pull one from a Ford Exploder at a junkyard. I've never noticed a whole lot of heat from mine, but then my commute is about four miles... do you know what the previous fix involved?

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

take one of the door lock cylinders out and take it to a locksmith, they can make a key for it without even seeing any parts of the old key, I had one made for mine that way think it was about $15.

Do you have both halves of the key? if so you may be able to take both pieces to any store that duplicates keys, the machine may be able to clamp onto both halves to make a new key, this would be cheaper than the above.

• Like 1

ok since I don't have both halves of the keys I'll take the door lock cylinders to a locksmith. About the tranmission, I guess I'll buy an aftermarket one this week. I have no Idea what the previous fix involved,The receipt says somethings about motor kit, converter, neutral switch and a band. And obviously the flushed the transmission so new trans oil and filter.

I had a locksmith tool my keys from looking at a bar code located inside the door card of my Geo Metro (yep, big pimpin' back in the early ninety's). One had broke off in my rear hatch and the other in my ignition. It was cool, yet scary, to be able to open my hatch with a dime and start the car with a flat head screw driver. :lol:

• Like 1

hahah I'll go to a locksmith tomorrow. The first key to break was almost two weeks ago and it wasn't me, My mother wanted to look for something in the my pathy, so I gave her the keys, she puts the key in the drivers side door lock and turned it to the wrong side. Second and last key, I arrived at the university, took my class, when I got out and went to the pathy, surprise surprise I only had half a key in the key chain. I have no idea how or where it broke but it probably was in the ignition, funny/ scary part is that I can turn on my pathy with my small pocket swiss army knife and also with the half I still got of the second key that broke, if I play with it in the ignition I can manage to unlock the cylinder and turn it. But I need the new keys ASAP, I can't be leaving the pathy around unlocked...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! As always, I'm most gratefull for the help and hope I can be of your service sometime.

I had a locksmith tool my keys from looking at a bar code located inside the door card of my Geo Metro (yep, big pimpin' back in the early ninety's). One had broke off in my rear hatch and the other in my ignition. It was cool, yet scary, to be able to open my hatch with a dime and start the car with a flat head screw driver. :lol:

It was a Metro, only reason someone would steal that is if the other choice on the road was a Miata :rofl:

Popping a lock out and taking it to a locksmith is probaly your best/easiest bet for a key since you don't have a "complete" one (which if you would have had, I would say hardware store that still grinds keys-big box places won't do it since thy use a machine you actually stick a key INTO instead of clamping it. Won't take the risk of a piece sticking in the machine, experience)

And yea, add an external cooler on that trans to help it's life be prolonged :aok:

• Like 1

That's mean Nunya, I like miatas! Can't say the same for Metros :lol: I already checked the trans. cooler with the Pepboys around the corner, they have a couple available, are they easy to install? or will I be breaking my head trying to mount it?

There should be a write up around here somewhere (never really looked, I got a 5 speed) but it's basicly a pretty cut and dry install. And the Miata comment was just a jab at devonianwalk, because I can :lol:

ok, I'll look for it around the forum. I hope to buy it thursday/friday and mount it saturday. I'll upload some pics, I envy your 5 speed, I want to make the swap very badly.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm chiming in on this a little late, but for future reference, you will want to remove the passenger side door lock (assuming you have the factory lock cylinders in there). That lock alone has the key codes on it, no other lock on the pathfinder has it. Any good locksmith will be able to make a key based on the numbers found on it. A word of advise, don't spray or clean off the lock cylinder before you take it anywhere( you risk removing the numbers printed on there, although some are stamped in, not all are), The locksmith will clean it and lube it for you. You should also receive (if not, ask) for a business card with your lock info on it(key number, size, cut code). this will save you money if you ever lock yourself out of your car/brake a key by having the info handy (at home, in your wallet or cellphone), then you just call up the locksmith, give them the info, and presto... new key made without headache or broken window or late night locksmith bill.

That might explain why the two locksmiths I took the cylinder to had a hard time making a copy. I took out the drivers side cylinder. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.

To add on to the center console getting hot issue... Sometimes the 4x4 shifter boot gets ripped and lets the heat pour in while you drive.

I pulled the lock cylinders out of about 4 pathfinders, and about 4 sentra's when I did my re-keying project and I don't recall seeing numbers on any of the lock cylinders.

Edited by ahardb0dy

another issue with heat in the center console area is the exhaust. pathfinder's are known for driver side carpet fires, and it's because of the pre-cat installed on some vehicles.