stock gears and 33's

therepairgod

im trying to decide between 31"x10.5 or 33"x12.5. how much power loss would there be? the one upside to the 33's is that it would correct my speedo lol. i know they will fit with a lil trimming but i dont want to have to regear the axles if its going to suck. id rather get the 31's and not worry, but traction is king and 2 inches wider and another 1 of pumpkin clearence is hard to pass up. thoughts? i tried searching the forums btw, all the links were dead. oh and before i get asked, firestone destination m/t is the tire im looking at.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+M%2FT&partnum=105R5DESTMTOWL

How would 33's correct your speedometer?

When running oversized tires, my choice is 33x10.5's. I have run my Yota's 12.5's on my Pathfinder and I have found there to be a large difference between them and 10.5's.

31' are one of to stock sized availible on WD21's when they were sold new. I ran 31's for a long time and only moved to 33's after I lifted.

It would depend on what gear ratio you have right now.

I have the stock 4.6 gear ratio and with 33 x 10.50 BFG AT i haven't noticed a single bit of power loss.

I can still climb with little effort and have no problem getting up to the 75 mph speed limit from a on ramp.

My spedoo is way off now though but i use my gps since it displays my speed anyway.

At 60 mph i'm actually going 69.

If you look at a gear ratio chart, the 4.6 gears are more than enough to cover 33 inch tires.

I have 33's and stock gears... no power loss, or mileage loss...

And my SE came with stock 31x10.5's

When I went to 33x12.5x15 I noticed a bit of power loss but it was mostly on the freeway and the hilly areas. On the 50mph back roads I actually got better mileage because the rpms were lower.

I ran 33's and 35's on my old hardbody with the non OD trans and I had the 4.62 gears, never noticed any difference with the 33's, not much loss with the 35's either.

sweet 33"s it is! i drive in a lot of sand around here, and the extra flotation of 2 inches of tread width will help, i was just worried getting the truck to accelerate in the sand. im going to have to get some ponies under the hood but its good to know that its manageable. as far as my speedo, my tranny is a 95 and the gearing is wrong, garmin says 65 speedo say 78. at least with 4 inch taller tires the speedo should get closer. i know i could change speedo gears, but the garmin never lies.