R50 2.4 SFD

I don’t usually post much here but I’m always reading and searching for information. I can’t tell you how many times the tips I got from npora help me fix things or just serve as inspiration to me.

Big thank you for all of you guys! Awesome community! :D

So I finally did something “extra” in my truck and I decided to share with you guys some of the steps and the final results.

About 6 weeks ago I discovered that one of the cylinders was sucking water from the cooling galleries so I had to take the path to a friend’s shop to open the upper part of the engine and do the heads.

Since the truck would be there for some weeks waiting till I imported all the parts from US I decided to take the plunge and finally do a SFD.

We had some experience on this since we have done the same in a friends truck. In his case the SFD was 3.2’’ since he raised his truck that much , but for my truck we decided to go with 2.4’’ SFD.

It was easiest to get the tubes in this measure (6x6 centimeters) and everything could be done faster and cheaper - without custom welding.

Here it is a picture of the kit and the install.

SFD_spacers.jpg[/img]

SFD_Install2.jpg[/img]

SFD_Install1.jpg[/img]

We also created a steering link bolt on kit using part of a steering link from Ford together with the pathfinder one. This way I can reverse back to the original (removing the SFD) if I want.

SteeringLink.jpg[/img]

We ordered an aluminum strut spacer for the top of the struts, it is 3 centimeters high, so it is a little higher than the 1’’ you usually use there.

StrutSpacers.jpg[/img]

Here were I leave we have a local pathfinder club and many R50 have 1 to 1.5’’ inches of lift in the front and 2 to 3 ‘’ on the hear. To achieve this lift in the rear we swap the coils using custom ones made here. In the front end the struts are modified, the base of where the coil sits is re-welded 1 to 1.5 inches higher. Everybody is using this configuration for years here with no issues at all. So I did the same.

Summarizing, I lifted the truck about 2.5 inches on the back and 2.4 in the front with a SFD of 2.4 inches.

Before, in low rider style :jk:

lowrider.jpg[/img]

Final result (I’ve just changed tires to 265x75 R16):

Path1.jpg[/img]

I’m sorry to mix things around regarding centimeters and inches… :P

I really don't know if I posted the pictures correctly, I hope it works. (FIXED!!)

Edited by BrSurfer

Looks good! Thanks for the info, I've never heard of people modifying the struts like that. It sounds like a good alternative to buying new coils for a suspension lift. Do you by chance have a pic of the strut assembly after the modification?

Clean install. Good job man!

That, my friend, is a good lookin pathy.

Very nice!

Thanks for the feedbacks guys! :beer:

Looks good! Thanks for the info, I've never heard of people modifying the struts like that. It sounds like a good alternative to buying new coils for a suspension lift. Do you by chance have a pic of the strut assembly after the modification?

Thanks! I will take some pictures to show you the strut set up, but as long as you know how to weld it should be pretty straight forward.

Here it is mate, these are the pictures of the strut modification:

Shocksrelocation_left.jpg

You can see the original place were the coil base was siting. This modification also helps clear the tire in case you are using a wider measure.

Shocksrelocation_right.jpg

Edited by BrSurfer

That's pretty neat, simpler than I imagined I guess. I don't know how to weld yet, so I'd have to pay someone to do that, but I'm sure it would still be cheaper than buying new coils. Thanks for the pics!

• 1 year later...

BrSurfer, this by far one of the best posts regarding lifting a R50 I have come across!

Going to do the same strut mod for mine as you did for yours. I will be modifying a brand new set of KYB's.

Did you disassemble your struts before welding? (If even possible)

I don't see a real need to as long as they are welded in short durations allowing the strut to cool in between to not heat up the gas and oil.

But, would love some specifics from the guy that has already done it himself!

• 2 months later...