Cruse inop

RF600

I have a 95 Pathfinder with a m/t. I am doing the checks like the manual says. I jump all 4 wires and the cruse wire pulls. Next the manual says the cruse wire should return back in 50-60 seconds. Mine goes back immediately. So I think that the actuator pump is bad because it doesn't hold. Is that correct?

I put vac to the actuator ( the pod with the diaphram) and it will pull the wire and hold. The switch will illuminate. I checked the other switches and everything is good. The cruse did work off and on before.

The hose is good between the pump and actuator. I can blow into the hose and hear it coming out of the pump. I would think being a pump it shouldn't be like that? Bad diaphram in the pump?

How well does your horn work? It could be the funky thinks that make the electric contact behind the steering wheel. three spring loaded posts ride in channels. This happened to my truck not long ago. the dialectric grease collects all the dust/dirt/grime and no longer lets electricity do its thing.

I'm pretty sure my horn works. The last time I used it was a while back. I will probably open the pump up and have a look. Doesn't look like there would be much to it.

The horn works fine. I pulled the pump apart as far as I could. There is a diaphragm that I can't get to unless I break the housing. Would anyone be willing to check their pump for me? Pull the hose off of the actuator pod and blow through it. I have not seen any pathfinders at the yards in town. I know there are some in the next town but that is ~30 minutes away. I don't want to waste the gas unless I have to.

Just opened mine up, pulled the hose off the actuator and blew into it. No resistance, like there's not even a pump there. I tried sucking on it too, nothing. I imagine the pump locks up a valve or something when it gets going. (I can't imagine it as a sealed unit in an engine bay... too much temperature variance, thus pressure variance... probably.) The one thing I did note was the cracked and hardened hose... at this point I doubt your hose is bad, but it couldn't hurt to check.

Of course, I've never actually used my cruise control. My dad said he got it fixed when we got the truck, and IIRC he tested it, but my commute's too short and hilly to bother with it. Anyone with known good cruise want to chime in? :scratchhead:

Given that the 'resting state' of the pump appears to be wide open, I'm guessing that the 50-60 seconds are controlled by the cruise control circuitry... maybe check the wiring? Or, as Silverton said, the sliders behind the steering wheel. My horn worked fine until one day when it didn't... didn't take the wheel off (couldn't figure out how to remove the horn pad) but still got loads of crud out with some alcohol and a q-tip.

Thanks Slartibartfast for doing that for me. That means I can rule out the pump. Well I guess it is time for more trouble shooting. Gotta love it. I did pull the cruise switches off at one point and clean them up. That didn't help.

You need one incandescent bulb somewhere in the circuit to draw enough current, otherwise you get the issue you describe. I don't think your 91 has a third brake light, right?

Actually I added one. so Yes it does. However I think it is still leds

I'm with pacnw. When I first got my Pathy the cruise control didn't work at all and I noticed a scraping noise when I turned the steering wheel. Sure enough the contacts under the wheel were completly worn out and not making any contact. Easy thing to check.

I have to put outer boots on the front axles so I will take a look at that also. Hopefully this weekend I can get to it. I do miss having cruise control.

BTW, I used my cruise control yesterday and today with no difficulty... so the operation of my pump (and yours) is correct.

Sweet

I pulled the steering wheel off and the 3 contacts were not making contact to the wheel.. I loosened up the clamp that holds the switch and there was a little up and back play. I pulled it forward and tightened the clamp back down. I have not had a chance to drive it yet and see if the cruise works. All 3 contacts are touching the steering wheel now.

I had a chance to drive the Pathfinder and the cruise works. Even the resume. So I will have to do like others have done and "extend" the buttons.