Finally Got front drive shaft in.....took it for a test drive- uh oh!

Whether that happened 10 minutes in or 2 hours into the joyride, at least you got to get your Pathy off-road for a while. I wish I could get away soon. I'm stuck in suburbia until June when I go down to the Ozarks. Then it's lake, boats and off-road trails!

• Like 1

It was fun, while it lasted LOL....Luckily, I wasn't far from the house. The tie rods appear to be a very weak link in the front end...is there some way to strengthen way it's set up? I really wasn't getting crazy with it. I'm worried that bending, breaking tie rods is going to be an 'every time I take it out' occurrence :headwall:

At moab a year ago I spent 4 TREs in less than 100'....start with lessening the crank of the tbars...i was shocked that after we dropped them on the trail I didn't drag the diff and had my fenders cut back far enough that the tires didn't rub...but my issues were amplified by bad LCA bushings, bent idler arm, bent Pittman arm, bent/wore out center links, bad lower compression rod bushings and so on and so forth...basically I'm sasing now BC.I can't get my LCA bushings out of the frame...i was out of spares after 4 so a highlift arm was used to bend it back mostly straight....when you break a TRE its LOUD

DSCN6578-1.jpg

Yea buddy a year ago in 6 days 2500 miles from home in the middle of moab

nissan-4x4-moab_313.JPG

Edited by unccpathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

I was just out in the woods near my house outside Mobile, AL. Tungsten, thanks for the link, I'll be looking into doing that. Let us know how it does off road :aok:

Yes there is! Going to take my setup off-road this week and see if it bends. Can I ask you where you managed to bend yours?

Tungsten, I'm not trying to be an ass here nor am I saying anything about your setup, good, bad or otherwise... I am reserving my opinions on that for a later date.

What I am asking is that you please stop pushing this setup as a fixall for the steering... until you have done a fair amount of on AND offroad testing. Please not just forest service road testing either :togo:

:beer:

Again, not being an ass, just saying that it needs real world testing before pushing it as a system that is comparable or better than the current, long standing and excepted alternatives.

For the newer members, those are

1. TK1 style (Grassroots) Centerlink mod
  2. Calmini Steering setup
  3. more recently, 2WD Hardbody steering box mod.

What I am asking is that you please stop pushing this setup as a fixall for the steering... until you have done a fair amount of on AND offroad testing. Please not just forest service road testing either :togo:

I gotta agree here, plus I must add he didn't say whether it was an inner or outer TRE to start with so your fix-all setup could still have the exact same weak link the OP just had. For all we know it could have been a bit to hard of a comedown on the RF after this pic

Photo-0029.jpg

OP, good times are good times no matter how long they are :aok: glad you got to play with it if even not as long as you were hoping before ending more wrench time

I actually never got air. In that pic I was standing still. In fact, notice the drivers side brake light is lit ;) At no point did I get crazy with it, that's what's got me scratching my head as to HOW I bent the TRE's :scratchhead:

• 3 weeks later...

From my experience...worn out lca bushings and other worn components allow for the steering to "toe" and when driving with more than acceptable toe things break...TRE being the weak link...everyone at moab was telling me less gas...I was romping the throttle BC I had cracked headers to keep the truck running but never spun the tires and2 times was just doing a slow crawl but when the susp drooped toe gets worse and it gripped...drove in a bad anglr and pop