Pulsating RPMS!- updated with pics!

I was on the freeway when i felt the engine hesitate a little bit , at first i thought it was the road, then it happened, again and again, then when i pulled to the exit, the rpms just kept on pulsating like bouncing from 500rpm to 750 rpm, a "room roooom rom rom room room" sound. It made it one of the scariest drives home ever because the power kept going on and off and on and off. Seems like it happens more on the low gears though, i dunno.

I just replaced my evap canister and added a new battery, and just had my smog check done, everything was okay.

Any suggestions?

PS during the smog check the mechanic said something was wrong with my timing, said it wasnt 15 degrees TDC but when he went on the computer to prove it, the computer said 15 degrees TDC and he said nvm.

edit:

I now think its the distributor bearing thats failing, it was coined the "red death" when i did some research on google. anyways, i took a look under the cap and rotor and heres what i saw

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Edited by m0nkeyprince

okay, so i looked at my distributor, underneath, there is a fine coat of brownish red dust (sort of looks like brake dust) in the cap and on the rotor, i though, well, i will just replace my cap and rotor, but it looks like i have to replace the entire distributor assembly as the bushing is going bad, so called, the "red death".

Any body else heard of it?

FIXED!!!

The problem turned out to be the distributor, I think the bearing was burnt out, as when I turned the old distributor upside down, brown dust came down

link to distributor thread here (where I will also link the How to guide):

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?/topic/33193-new-distributor-help-installing-please/page__pid__624261#entry624261

• 1 year later...

Bringing back an older thread... My new truck has this pulsation during acceleration. Unless I floor it. Then it just takes off. But if I'm just taking it easy... It sort of pulsates every so smoothly. I swear you can also almost see the tech move too.

That bearing can easily be replaced with a better one for very little money. I have replaced them on several Xterras and R50s. It turned out a bearing in the front wheel of one of my bicycles fit and I just use those. Do not put the Tone ring on upside down, this will cause all kinds of problems.

http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/dizy_rebuild/

Edited by system_f

• 2 weeks later...