Failed CA smog test

msavides

SO for the first time since i bought my truck I failed smog.

only failed on hydrocarbons at the 15 mph test.

after I failed I decided to look at my smog report from 2 years ago when I failed.

v5ek_065_u5vaf.jpg

From the results above looks like California has reduced the MAX emissions by about 30% my results are on par with what they were 2 years ago as I have only driven about 2200 miles from the time of the last smog.

looks like I only need to reduce my hydrocarbons 12 points to pass. should be pretty easy to do with some FI cleaner.

Edited by msavides

When was the last time you did a tune up? High hydrocarbons usually indicate unburnt fuel. So bad plug, wire, dist cap or rotor. Could be one or all. Looks like they lowered the standard also. It also doesn't hurt to have a somewhat fresh oil change before smog.

Edited by RF600

We've had those standards here for a while, and the dyno test as well. Mine had a full tune up and what not, and still wouldn't pass hydro carbons. A new cat was the answer unfortunately.

little history.

the cat has about 5,000 miles on it. but the truck has had a slight miss at idle for a long time

the plugs & wires were just changed

trying to fix the miss, the following was changed withing the last 3,000 miles.

IAC valve

TPS sensor

MAF sensor

ECM Temp sensor

Fuel injectors

Fuel filter

Air Filter

EGR Solenoid

EGR Valve

Timing belt

water pump

Thermostat

We are enhanced smog in manteca, it is done on the dyno

I just ordered a new cat, I am going to make it my smog cat, I will only swap it in for my smog check. going to do the same with a new O2 sensor.

I know you said plugs and wires were just done, but you didn't list the distributor cap and rotor. Have you changed those? Also have you checked your timing with a timing light? I think that can also cause the emissions to be too high. Also, what about your o2 sensor? Try unplugging it and see if the miss goes away, does it happen when cold? warm? all the time?

yes cap and rotor was also done about 5,000 miles ago, I put a brand new O2 sensor in right before it went to get smogged.

miss is only at idle does it all the time. I believe i tried this before and the miss went away when i pulled the ( #1 ?) (passenger side closest to the firewall) compression test was also done about 5,000 miles ago. Can't remember the numbers but they were all withing 3-10 psi of each other.

reason wires and plugs were just replaced was because i suspected the autolite platinum plugs were causing issues. I put NGK Copper plugs in place them.

timing is at 15. I have been unable to change this on this truck. If I move the distributor it momentarily changes then goes right back to 15.

Edited by msavides

what color are your spark plugs? Do you have any leaks in your exhaust before your O2 sensor? Have you leaked any radiator fluid into the engine? I'm thinking your cat and your O2 sensor have been fouled. Have you done lean rich check using your ecu. Instructions for that are in the FSM. What kind of gas mileage do you get?

Edited by ejin4499

when I replaced the plugs they were all normal light brown. there were only in there for 5,00 miles. Never had antifreeze go into the engine. A new O2 sensor was put in 5 mins before the smog test. I get about 17-20 mph highway.

While replacing my clutch this weekend I did notice a leak at my header crossover pipe under the transmission that is before the O2 sensor. I put a new clamp on it so it should be good now. I also will be putting in my new cat right before my next smog. I will swap it back to the old cat after the smog. I will make it my smog cat. I put ball flanges on my new and old cat so I can just swap them back and forth with 4 bolts and never have to worry about gaskets again.

I did the lean rich test way back when i was trying to diagnose the leaking injector code. I have not done it since I replace my injectors. I will have to do that next weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

IT PASSED

17ga_063_u5vaf.jpg

After it passed I went home and pulled off the new Cat and the New O2 sensor. Those will be my smog test parts I will use again in 2 years.

I like this smog guy. He does not give any coupons or discounts but he will put the engine at 3500 rpm for 45 secs right before starting the test. He also knows his stuff and we had a discussion about the other smog shops around town.

Costed me $70 but at least I know if I had failed he would have told me exactly what to do to pass the test.

I just ordered a new cat, I am going to make it my smog cat, I will only swap it in for my smog check. going to do the same with a new O2 sensor.

Good Lord, Man! Just leave them on, your truck will run better...

I was going to say leaky injector, exhaust leak, cat issue or O2. You disproved the first and fixed the second so only two left. How did the cat look?

Glad you got it sorted out, I've dealt with Bay Area smog laws all my life and it can be a problem sometimes.

B

I've bought 3 Nissans from the Bay Area. Not one of them ever had a smog prior to me buying it. Whats wrong with you people down there? 2 out of the 3 I had to take to DMV since we have no local shops with the dyno smog like you guys have.

Edited by Trogdor636

Good Lord, Man! Just leave them on, your truck will run better...

I was going to say leaky injector, exhaust leak, cat issue or O2. You disproved the first and fixed the second so only two left. How did the cat look?

Glad you got it sorted out, I've dealt with Bay Area smog laws all my life and it can be a problem sometimes.

B

It takes me about 5 min to swap cats. with air tools since I converted to ball flanges so I can say goodbye to them damn Nissan gaskets (Only another 3 min to change the o2 sensor). My old O2 sensor only had about 2200 miles on it, So it should be good still. I Just want to have the same new parts to put back on in 2 years when I have to smog it again. Who knows what they will lower the max emissions to in 2 years.

That's odd, those are all smog manditory areas. :shrug:

B

No it should of been smogged, its just people who are selling cars who are too lazy to smog them when they put them up for sale. I've had to write up a contract for them saying if they don't pass smog I get a full refund or x amount of money to pay for the repairs. I've been lucky so far.

I've bought 3 Nissans from the Bay Area. Not one of them ever had a smog prior to me buying it. Whats wrong with you people down there? 2 out of the 3 I had to take to DMV since we have no local shops with the dyno smog like you guys have.

so your saying they did not have it smogged for you for the transfer of ownership. I think that is pretty much the norm. I know they say that the smog is the responsibility of the seller, but every private party vehicle purchase I have done I had to get it smogged. When I bought my Pathfinder it had a clogged EGR Cleanout and bad egr sensor. The reason he got rid of it was because it failed smog and did not want to deal with it.

It takes me about 5 min to swap cats. with air tools since I converted to ball flanges so I can say goodbye to them damn Nissan gaskets (Only another 3 min to change the o2 sensor). My old O2 sensor only had about 2200 miles on it, So it should be good still. I Just want to have the same new parts to put back on in 2 years when I have to smog it again. Who knows what they will lower the max emissions to in 2 years.

Good point! :rolleyes:

No it should of been smogged, its just people who are selling cars who are too lazy to smog them when they put them up for sale. I've had to write up a contract for them saying if they don't pass smog I get a full refund or x amount of money to pay for the repairs. I've been lucky so far.

Ahh, I get it now. I have sold vehicles with and without recent, valid smog certs. Either I take care of it and pass the cost along to the buyer or sell it AS-IS with no gaurentees. With a little luck I won't be buying another vehicle for years so I won't have to deal with that part...

B