Finally found a Jeep I would own

Precise1

I had to look it up, but damn, good call!! That would look great!

What do you do when that thing gets stuck? Somehow I don't think those little D-rings would do the job.

If you get that thing stuck, I think international law requires your sorry arse to walk home while waving a sign that says "I'm an Idiot". :lol:

B

Nunya, this is for sale locally and I'm dying to buy it and put a camper shell on the back. My idiot wife is no help when she just looks at it and says "Ok, lets go buy it". :doh:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2923596581.html

Since you have such a good eye and broad production knowledge, what camper do you recommend??

(considering the rear 3/4 of a 1970's VW Westfallia pop top camper)

B

Mr.510 was a Unimog importer for quite some time... he owns 4 that I've seen. I believe that's all he has left. I'm sure that is one he brought in ;)

And seriously, if you get a Unimog stuck, you had no business being there, and you may as well abandon it!!

Wow, that's a 404.0 in the CL ad. That's a rare Unimog indeed! It has the larger 2.8 liter gasoline six with dual downdraft two barrel carbs stock. Seems like they're rated for 160hp or something like that. Basically double the 404.1's 82hp. A 404.0 has a 'regular' 404.1 chassis with the exception of the bigger dual carb motor and power steering... but has the 406 series cab. I've seen many hundreds of Unimogs up close and personal but have only seen one 404.0 in person. That's cheap for a 404.0 in good shape with low miles.

As for campers, if you're going to use an existing truck camper on a Unimog there's no substitute for an Alaskan. They're the best campers ever made .

Why only the back half, partial to the Mogs cab? Put the whole thing (stretched to correct wheelbase of course) and have one wicked tin twinkie!

There used to be a guy who ran around here with an older 6500 sized truck (I forget the make anymore, haven't seen it in years) and instead of any form of "work" or "utility" back half had a smallish pull behind camper (one you would still need a full-size to pull, not a little pop up or chumpy azz airstream or teardrop) mounted to the frame with the axles removed. Wouldn't have looked too bad if the campers wheel arches lined up right with the axle on the truck... Good idea, not the best looking exicution

That's a good point Nunya, but I'd hate to modify it too much away from the natural Unimog state. At least with a camper mounted on back, it could easily be removed with nothing else altered. I'm going to have to think on this good and hard, not good timing for me jobwise... :shrug:

Mr.510 was a Unimog importer for quite some time... he owns 4 that I've seen. I believe that's all he has left. I'm sure that is one he brought in ;)

And seriously, if you get a Unimog stuck, you had no business being there, and you may as well abandon it!!

Well, there is a shop in Vallejo (about 50 miles away) that imports Unimogs, Pinzgauers and suck so odds are that's where it came from, not 1000 miles away.

Wow, that's a 404.0 in the CL ad. That's a rare Unimog indeed! It has the larger 2.8 liter gasoline six with dual downdraft two barrel carbs stock. Seems like they're rated for 160hp or something like that. Basically double the 404.1's 82hp. A 404.0 has a 'regular' 404.1 chassis with the exception of the bigger dual carb motor and power steering... but has the 406 series cab. I've seen many hundreds of Unimogs up close and personal but have only seen one 404.0 in person. That's cheap for a 404.0 in good shape with low miles.

As for campers, if you're going to use an existing truck camper on a Unimog there's no substitute for an Alaskan. They're the best campers ever made .

While I'm not an expert on Unimogs by any means, from what I have read up on, you are pretty much right in your description. I swear it was for sale a few months ago for $12,500 so this is probably the fire sale price.

One of the big things holding me back is fear of the gas prices and the mileage that thing must get. :blink:

B

Pre-economic crash that was at least a $15k cab & chassis, probably more. It is possible, however, that some European utility had a whole bunch of these trucks that were surplused and they are more readily available now. The market fluctuates a lot depending on who is surplusing what at any given time. I don't know what a 404.0 gets for mileage. Since they have double the power they should certainly be capable of burning a lot more fuel, especially on hills. That said, with a stock 404.1 you can bet your life on 10mpg with radials and can get 12mpg at 60mph on a level freeway run if it's tuned right and you're running a flatbed with no bows, canvas, or tail gate. A stock, unloaded 404.1 pretty much goes fully loaded semi truck speed on all major freeway hills. Loaded up with camping/wheeling gear Snoqualmie Pass is a 25mph pull at a little over half throttle in 4th gear. Thankfully all Unimogs have cruise control... the hand throttle on the dash!

Scott at Expedition Imports in Vallejo is a really good guy that can be trusted absolutely to never rip anyone off. I've done business with him many times and will continue to in the future. If you're seriously interested in that 404.0 give him a call as he probably knows the truck well and can tell you of any known problems. (707) 643-6757

That's a good point Nunya, but I'd hate to modify it too much away from the natural Unimog state. At least with a camper mounted on back, it could easily be removed with nothing else altered. I'm going to have to think on this good and hard, not good timing for me jobwise... :shrug:

Well, there is a shop in Vallejo (about 50 miles away) that imports Unimogs, Pinzgauers and suck so odds are that's where it came from, not 1000 miles away.

While I'm not an expert on Unimogs by any means, from what I have read up on, you are pretty much right in your description. I swear it was for sale a few months ago for $12,500 so this is probably the fire sale price.

One of the big things holding me back is fear of the gas prices and the mileage that thing must get. :blink:

B

Thanks, I appreciate the info and number. Unfortunately I just got work furloughed for the next week and a 1/2 at which point I will know if I am still employed, with whom and under what conditions so I'm probably not going to follow up on purchasing a Unimog at this time.

Whatcha gonna do?? :shrug:

B

• 2 weeks later...

i guess my buddys dad just bought that unimog off ebay for 8k ill take some pics when ever he picks it up

Well, good for him, I guess, but I didn't really want to hear that. (Was still holding out hopes...)

Yeah, please share pictures and assessment, and let him know he sniped a local... :D

On a related note, if you think Mogs are great try a Tatra truck: http://www.military-.../tatra_t815.htm

Too damn big and I'd rather try to get spare parts for a Unimog. Little known fact, but Mercedes supports all past models with factory parts to this day. ;)

B