Sound system trials

RowOSU

Ok, so I spent some time in the garage section of the forum looking for info on how to bypass this factory amp. It seems all the information there was for the previous pathfinders. Heres my dilemma, I've got a Pioneer MP3/Cd player and when it is loading a CD or between tracks you can hear it spinning the CD through the speakers. That bothers me. Soo I would much like to kill the factory amp, however I really don't want to run all new speaker wires as that tends to be a huge pain. Is there anyway to bypass this amp without running new wires? Any advice would be much appreciated!

-Cameron

• 1 year later...

Dug up an old topic that happens to address the exact same question I have! Gotta love the search function!

I'm thinking about ditching my Bose system, but I don't really want to have to rewire everything from scratch.

Should I just replace the HU but keep the speakers?

What's the best approach to take? Here's what I'm considering doing:

New headunit: Kenwood DDX-7017, 22wattsRMS/50peak

Nissan Bose Amplifier adapter, if it's better to keep the Bose amp and speakers.

Wiring harness and diversity antenna adapter

Note that I didn't include speakers. If I ditch the Bose speakers and their included amps, what speakers are reasonably good for $50 or less each ($100/pair)?

I checked the specs on the factory Bose audio in the 97 Pathfinder sales brochure (which I still have a copy of), and it only gave me one power rating: 160watts; I assume that is peak output. I suppose then, that the Bose amp is less powerful than the built-in amp of the Kenwood HU. I don't want to install a subwoofer or an amp, since there's really no place to put it without sacrificing cargo space that's already being used for something else.

Does anyone have some good advice on what's the best way to go? I'm not a super audiophile, but the audio system in the Pathy sounds pretty poor compared to my daily-driver Mazda6's factory Bose audio system.

Edited by XPLORx4

If you're looking for about $100/pair, you really can't go wrong with the Infinity Reference series. I had them in my old car and LOVED them. Would have transferred them over to the Pathy, but they were the wrong size.

Basically, to bypass the amps, you have to rewire the speaker. This is more involved for some than others, but IIRC the Nissan Bose's are a bit of a PITA. When I worked in the stereo shop, I really only did the higher-end installations, where all the factory junk was getting chucked anyways. It's not really that difficult to run new shielded speaker wire from the head unit to the speakers, and it will greatly improve the sound of your stereo over using the factory wiring.

If you're looking for something that will sound BETTER than the Bose (especially with a DDX Internal amp...), you're going to want an external amplifier. This adds to the cost, but the final result will be better.

If you're looking for something that will sound BETTER than the Bose (especially with a DDX Internal amp...), you're going to want an external amplifier. This adds to the cost, but the final result will be better.

Is the internal amp on the Kenwood DDX HU crap? As far as adding an external amp, cost isn't the issue for me, it's space. If I can squeeze an amp into the cavity where the factory Bose amp is located, then I'll consider it.

Dan, do bear in mind that I'm not nearly the audiophile that you are. I'm still running my iPod through a cassette adapter, and it sounds reasonably good to me!

One more thing- will I be able to retain use of the factory A-pillar tweeters? I don't want to replace those.

I'm pretty much looking for the most plug-n-play approach possible.

The internal amp in the DDX isn't up to par with current standards. On most of that type of head unit, you'll find that the manufacturers put in a lower end amplifier to save space, as there is so much other stuff going into the unit...especially if it doesn't have an external brain box.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you considering the DDX? Do you want it for DVD playback? If you're looking for Navigation, you need to have an external device to be able to display a navigation screen on this unit. What are you looking for in a new head unit? Does it have to occupy the entire Double-DIN space? I put a Single-DIN Alpine in mine and used the opening underneath it to create a switch panel.

Do you have anything in the under-floor cubby hole? That's where I put my amps. Works very well, and surprisingly they have yet to overheat. That was my main concern with putting them in there, but there's enough cooler air flowing up from the body that they're OK. I've got the OverHeat warning LEDs moved to the dash so I can keep my eye on them.

Underneath the front passenger seat is another option. You will not need a large amp 50W RMS x 4 channels. They don't take up much space at all. Mine is something like 12x14x2".

The cargo tray is where I store my recovery gear (tow straps, chain, winch remote), so that's not an option. I'll check out the space below the passenger seat.

Do I want one 4-channel amp or two 2-channel amps?

Edited by XPLORx4

Check out this Alpine MRP-F250

40W RMS x 4 Channels. It's 11-1/4"W x 2-3/8"H x 9-9/16"D. It'll fit inside of the under-floor cubby hole in the rear without an issue, and there will still be room for a tow-strap and some other stuff. This is the amp I have for my speakers, and it sounds very good. Before I added the subwoofer, I could fit a tow strap, first aid kit and a pair of welding gloves in the cubby along with the amp.

In reality, you could go either way, and will get the same quality sound. But since you say space is your biggest issue, I'd stick with the compact 4-channel amp. If you double up on 2-channels, you're doubling up on occupied space.

If you double up on 2-channels, you're doubling up on occupied space.

Yeah, I was thinking that a 2-channel amp would be 1/2 the size of a 4-channel amp. The length and width are too big. I was looking more for something that was about 8x10x4 not 11x10x2.

Most amps seem to be flat, but have a very big footprint, as opposed to being a little taller, but with a smaller footprint. I guess they design 'em to be stashed under the seat, huh?

There's also the obvious place, right on the back of the rear seat, but if you're like me, you don't want it there.

I installed a stereo in a Suburban once (infinitely more possible spaces to put amps than a Pathy) and the owner wanted everything completely concealed. The subwoofers ended up going inside of the kick panels in the rear cargo area (1 10" subwoofer on each side) and the amps ended up going underneath the center console. I haven't pulled the console out of my Pathy, so I'm not sure as to the viability of this, but there is a Blaupunkt amp... (GTA 4) that looks like if there's head-room under there, it might fit.

I guess they design 'em to be stashed under the seat, huh?

More or less yeah...They usually go under a seat, or in a cargo cubby, or someplace with not a lot of vertical space.

The only amps I know about that are taller and have a smaller footprint are the McIntosh amps, but they're EXTREMELY expensive (on the note of $5,000+). If I find anything, I'll let you know. :aok:

Edit: The McIntosh Labs MCC404, which would be the one you'd need, is gargantuan compared to the Alpine. 3 x 12.5 x 18.4"....It's also a little cheaper than I thought it would be at a cool $2200. One recently sold used on eBay for a little over $1400. :eek: :eek:

There's also the obvious place, right on the back of the rear seat, but if you're like me, you don't want it there.

Yeah, bad place. The cargo area cannot be compromised at all. I still USE my Pathy. ;)

I doubt that Blaupunkt amp will fit under the center console. It's too wide.

I think I'll go measure the space behind the left side cargo panel and see if there's any possibility to fit something in there. If not, then I'll have to make do with the DDX internal amp or retain the Bose amp/speakers, or consider an under-the-passenger-seat install...

I'm still undecided on whether to even touch this. The last time I fussed with fancy car audio systems was about 12 years ago, when my car's audio system attracted the attention of thieves who stole my car, ripped out the stereo, trashed the dashboard, then abandoned it a block away. Cost me $1000 to fix the dash, busted door keyhole and ignition. I vowed to never make a vehicle worth breaking into.

Fortunately, for some reason, thieves just don't seem to be too interested in jacking my truck, which has thousands more worth of upgrades. I guess there's not a big market for stolen winches, off-road lights, or CB radios. I'm afraid that if I get a nice audio system, it will suddenly become a target.

Unless you're going around flaunting the stereo, and making it patently obvious that you've got something in there, you'll be fine.

I've got an insane amount of money in the stereo in my truck, and have never had a problem, and I've lived in some pretty skeezy areas.

A good car alarm will thwart most of the would-be thieves, and the ones who know how to get around the alarm aren't after the vehicle for the stereo anyways. Anyone who would break into a car, won't bother if they can see that the face-plate is missing, so if it has a removable faceplate, take advantage of that and remove it. Just be inconspicuous and don't advertise what you have.

As far as removable faceplate single-DIN stereos go, a $750 Alpine looks just like a $49 Dual with the faceplate removed, and neither of them will work. It's just not worth the hassle for the theives when there are other, more easily attained targets.

Also, with the Pathfinder, the stereo is bolted to the dashboard, so a would-be theif can't just hop in, slide it out and be on his way.

But the biggest thing is this...If they can't see it...you don't have it.

Thank god my pathy did not have that Bose crap.

Ehh, it's more aesthetically appealing than anything else...I love it when people get in and say "oh wow, BOSE??????" And I say "Hell yea, doesn't work worth a sh!t!" then they get totally shocked :blink:

Ehh, it's more aesthetically appealing than anything else...I love it when people get in and say "oh wow, BOSE??????" And I say "Hell yea, doesn't work worth a sh!t!" then they get totally shocked :blink:

LOL That's awesome :clap: