WD21 MY 92.5 (Pre or Post)!

William

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a dilemma :(

My Canadian Pathy is a 1992 model XE V6 A/T 4D 4x4 VG30E.

I'm trying to look for some steering parts (new Pitman Arm) on

www.nissanpartszone.com and they differentiate between

parts from:

1986.5 -> 1992.5

and

1992.5 Onwards

I am right at the border (1992) with no clue if my car was made

after July or before July of that year.

Is there a way to find out without taking parts off?

William

Edited by William

should be a tag in the drivers door jamb similar to this

Date.jpg

(pic belongs to JamesRich, not me)

may differ slightly on the 90+ ones but there will be a production date like above on the tag still

I have a 1991 and it uses the newer larger taper. You can actually check what size nut is at the bottom of the steering box holding the pitman arm on. If it's a 41mm nut, you have the larger (newer) taper. If not then you have the older one. I guarantee you that you have the newer taper (newer years).

if you don't have the tag or if it's painted over send your vin number and I'll look it up to give you the production date

It is painted over :(

Here is my VIN number: JN8HD18Y2NW015373

William

Thank you guys.

So I am not a 1992 :(

But it is says 1992 on the registration card :scratchhead:

Where can I download the NISSAN FAST for the WD21 :wub: ?

William

Edited by William

I have a 1991 and it uses the newer larger taper. You can actually check what size nut is at the bottom of the steering box holding the pitman arm on. If it's a 41mm nut, you have the larger (newer) taper. If not then you have the older one. I guarantee you that you have the newer taper (newer years).

I would also follow Tungsten's advice and look at the nut on the steering box, just incase someone has swapped the steering box with a junkyard unit in the last 21 years. I was going to order a steering set-up from Calmini and they suggested I pull the pitman and count the splines, even with my truck being a 95. I believe there's a difference in spline count also, Post 92 is 48 spline, Pre-92 is less.

I would also follow Tungsten's advice and look at the nut on the steering box, just incase someone has swapped the steering box with a junkyard unit in the last 21 years. I was going to order a steering set-up from Calmini and they suggested I pull the pitman and count the splines, even with my truck being a 95. I believe there's a difference in spline count also, Post 92 is 48 spline, Pre-92 is less.

Well, I also was going to order the CALMINI HD steering setup. They asked

for $650 + Shipping and refused to give any discount.

How about we organize a GROUP BUY (similar to the one I suggested

earlier for the Doug Thorley Headers). If we play our cards right and gather

enough interested people on the list, we could get upto 20% off the regular

asking price.

I could get in touch with them and offer them this GROUP BUY scenario:

5 buyers - 5% off

10 buyers - 10% off

15 buyers - 15% off

20+ buyers - 20% off

What do you think?

William

Well, I also was going to order the CALMINI HD steering setup. They asked

for $650 + Shipping and refused to give any discount.

How about we organize a GROUP BUY (similar to the one I suggested

earlier for the Doug Thorley Headers). If we play our cards right and gather

enough interested people on the list, we could get upto 20% off the regular

asking price.

I could get in touch with them and offer them this GROUP BUY scenario:

5 buyers - 5% off

10 buyers - 10% off

15 buyers - 15% off

20+ buyers - 20% off

What do you think?

William

Yeah they seem to think that their products are superior to everyone else's and you should just spend the money on them because.

I like your thinking and appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm just not sold on the Calmini set-up anymore. Even if they could offer it for $500 I think I would pass on it. Just a preference based off of what I've read on various forums. All the power to you though if you can organize this, maybe there's some other people on here that are interested.

If you don't mind me asking, Why do you need a new Pitman Arm anyway?

Screw calmini !! The xterra my buddy just bought has that heavy duty Calmini steering system, it needs new idler arm bushings so I emailed Calmini and they won't even sell the bushings separate, I read on other forums they used to send the bushings out for free not anymore I guess, now they want you to buy the whole idler arm for only $350 !! I don't own any Calmini stuff and after that response don't think I ever will.

Screw calmini !! The xterra my buddy just bought has that heavy duty Calmini steering system, it needs new idler arm bushings so I emailed Calmini and they won't even sell the bushings separate, I read on other forums they used to send the bushings out for free not anymore I guess, now they want you to buy the whole idler arm for only $350 !! I don't own any Calmini stuff and after that response don't think I ever will.

Go to a local tractor supply or like wise hardware/ equipment store and buy one for 3 dollars install and send your bill to calmini.

No need to approach CALMINI directly for the Idler Arm Bushing. Go to the following

link: Bandit4x4

and order part# BDT-0003 (which is made exclusively for the Calmini Heavy Duty Steering System) for $55 and

your buddy will be a happy wheeler again :)

William

Yeah they seem to think that their products are superior to everyone else's and you should just spend the money on them because.

I like your thinking and appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'm just not sold on the Calmini set-up anymore. Even if they could offer it for $500 I think I would pass on it. Just a preference based off of what I've read on various forums. All the power to you though if you can organize this, maybe there's some other people on here that are interested.

If you don't mind me asking, Why do you need a new Pitman Arm anyway?

I'll get in touch with them and offer them this GROUP BUY and hopefully they agree. Will keep

you all posted.

I don't need a new PITMAN ARM, I need to upgrade my weak Steering system and the 2 ways to do that

are either:

- Calmini HD Steering Package (which includes a Pitman Arm)

- Hoohaa's Center Link

I personally don't believe in Hoohaa's CL upgrade and prefer the Calmini HD SP.

William

Edited by William

The Pitman Arm is the one in Green in the attached picture.

Is the 41mm Nut the one highlighted in RED at the bottom of the Steering Gear?

485SteeringLinkageUptoJul92.png

William

The Pitman Arm is the one in Green in the attached picture.

Is the 41mm Nut the one highlighted in RED at the bottom of the Steering Gear?

485SteeringLinkageUptoJul92.png

William

Any feedback please?

That's the one. It measures 41mm on my 95 (just measured it). I never knew there was a difference in Nut size until I read it on another thread here. I was told to count the splines, but if the size of the nut tells all, that's a lot easier than pulling the pitman arm.

On the 94-95 models I'm possitive the nut size is 41mm or 1-5/8". If you are looking to get something from a wrecking yard in Ontario, bring HEAT, a LARGE PIPE WRENCH, and a LONG ASS CHEATER BAR. I just got a second pitman arm from my local wrecker and I had to go back 3 times. I brought penetraiting fluid and a 1-5/8" socket with a 2 foot breaker bar the first time and I used a cheater on it. I broke the breaker bar. 2nd time I Hauled my own air compressor thru the damn yard to avoid the $50.00 air charge they impose, only to find that my HD impact good for 600 ft lb wasn't good enough even with heat, and the last trip I brought a huge pipe wrench and a 6 foot long Pipe that fit the handle, and some heat. Finally after wedging myself on another vehicle at the end of the bar I was able to break it loose but not before bending the handle on the pipe wrench. all that for a $10.00 Pitman arm. Spent way more in time then it would have cost me to just buy an aftermarket one.

Rust is an awful thing.

Edited by Dowser

I personally don't believe in Hoohaa's CL upgrade and prefer the Calmini HD SP.

William

Well, I hope what you get from Calmini actually works. They screwed up an idler arm brace and had no interest in making good on it. I'll never buy their products...

B