So here is my plan . . .

drewp29

So I think I finally have a good plan for upgrading (and fixing . . . lol) the Pathy. Let me know what you think.

Fixes and upgrades in order of completion:

Purchase used rear axle assembly. I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet because things have been crazy busy lately. Anyway, I plan to pull the rear differential out, get to know it intimately by taking it apart and putting it back together several times . . . checking backlash and engagement each time. Once I am comfortable with the process I'll pull my current crappy rear diff and steal some friction plates and friction discs. I'm thinking 2 of each per side if it won't be too tight, opinions on that are welcome. Add them to the new (used) diff and put it back in old housing for a tighter, more off road capable set-up.

Warn manual hubs. I have the stock 16" 6 spoke SE wheels so I'll put these straight on when I get them.

AC 2" lift coils from 4x4parts.com. I had originally considered the OME lift package from Rocky Road, but after comparing pictures of lift height I definitely like the 'little bit extra' look of the AC over the EMUs.

KYB Excel-G struts and Bilstein or KYB Gas-A-Just rear dampers. I'd prefer 5100 series Bilsteins but don't know what the part number is with 2" lift. If anyone knows and would post it that would be excellent! I'd rather buy them separately from the coils from somewhere other than 4x4parts.

Rims - Mickey Thompson Classic II - LINKY

It sucks trying to find rims I like that A. Have ~ -3.75" BS, B. Won't break the bank, and 3. Are 16" rims to fit over the front calipers. There's a ton in 15" diameter, but 16" rims get little to no love. Anyone know if the MT Classic IIs will work with the Warn hubs?

Tires - Falken Rocky Mountain LT265/75R16 - LINKY I've read some really positive reviews on these, and for the price I don't know if they can be beat.

So, there's the plan. Obviously with the lift I'll replace strut mounts, etc. and other necessary items for the other upgrades as well.

Thanks for reading!

So I think I finally have a good plan for upgrading (and fixing . . . lol) the Pathy. Let me know what you think.

Fixes and upgrades in order of completion:

Purchase used rear axle assembly. I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet because things have been crazy busy lately. Anyway, I plan to pull the rear differential out, get to know it intimately by taking it apart and putting it back together several times . . . checking backlash and engagement each time. Once I am comfortable with the process I'll pull my current crappy rear diff and steal some friction plates and friction discs. I'm thinking 2 of each per side if it won't be too tight, opinions on that are welcome. Add them to the new (used) diff and put it back in old housing for a tighter, more off road capable set-up.

Warn manual hubs. I have the stock 16" 6 spoke SE wheels so I'll put these straight on when I get them.

AC 2" lift coils from 4x4parts.com. I had originally considered the OME lift package from Rocky Road, but after comparing pictures of lift height I definitely like the 'little bit extra' look of the AC over the EMUs.

KYB Excel-G struts and Bilstein or KYB Gas-A-Just rear dampers. I'd prefer 5100 series Bilsteins but don't know what the part number is with 2" lift. If anyone knows and would post it that would be excellent! I'd rather buy them separately from the coils from somewhere other than 4x4parts.

Rims - Mickey Thompson Classic II - LINKY

It sucks trying to find rims I like that A. Have ~ -3.75" BS, B. Won't break the bank, and 3. Are 16" rims to fit over the front calipers. There's a ton in 15" diameter, but 16" rims get little to no love. Anyone know if the MT Classic IIs will work with the Warn hubs?

Tires - Falken Rocky Mountain LT265/75R16 - LINKY I've read some really positive reviews on these, and for the price I don't know if they can be beat.

So, there's the plan. Obviously with the lift I'll replace strut mounts, etc. and other necessary items for the other upgrades as well.

Thanks for reading!

I'll hook you up with the 5100 series rear shock numbers for the 2" lift tonight.

You shouldn't have any problems with 15" rims clearing the calipers. I replaced my tri-spoke 16" wheels with some 15" Pro Comp rims. Plus, 15" tires tend to be a little cheaper (which is why I went down a size). ;)

You shouldn't have any problems with 15" rims clearing the calipers. I replaced my tri-spoke 16" wheels with some 15" Pro Comp rims. Plus, 15" tires tend to be a little cheaper (which is why I went down a size). ;)

Your avatar freaks me out.

You don't need 3.75" BS wheels to run 265/75R16 tires. I've got the AC lift, and I fit BFG MT KM2's (265/75R16) on a set of Ultra Motorsports Rogue 175 wheels (16x8/6x5.5/10mm offset). To run 285/75R16s you might need a wheel spacer.

Let me double-check on those wheel specs. I may have gotten the offset wrong.

I used this chart when I searched for wheels that specified offset, but didn't specify backspacing.

tech-wheeloffset.gif

I'll hook you up with the 5100 series rear shock numbers for the 2" lift tonight.

Hey if your handing our part numbers, im thinking of pretty much the same setup as the OP, and looking to save cash where ever i can.

Thanks

-Kyle

Hey if your handing our part numbers, im thinking of pretty much the same setup as the OP, and looking to save cash where ever i can.

Thanks

-Kyle

Sorry, your post count is too low. Once it gets up to about twenty, we'll talk.

Thanks

-Kyle

I got 5150's with 255/70 valving (part number 25-186307). The 5100-equivalent part number for the AC 2" lift is 33-185552.

Edited by XPLORx4

Let me double-check on those wheel specs. I may have gotten the offset wrong.

I used this chart when I searched for wheels that specified offset, but didn't specify backspacing.

So if I am reading the chart correctly then 10mm offset is ~4 7/8" BS on an 8" wide rim? Hmmm . . . things to think about then. I do kinda like the Mickey Thompsons, but that broadens the range quite a bit if those work for you!

OK, 10mm offset/4.875" backspacing sounds right. I remember that I wasn't certain that 265/75R16 tires would fit on my Pathy with those wheels, so I purchased a pair of 1" wheel spacers before I went to the tire store for wheel/tire mounting. I had fully intended to install the spacers with the wheels, but when the tire store performed a test fit without the spacers, the tires had no clearance issues at all. That may not be the case for all tires, since the tread width and shoulder design of certain tires may cause rubbing. Like I said, I'm running BFG MT KM2's, which have no clearance issues.

Edited by XPLORx4

Really? From what I read in this THREAD it seems iffy. Let me know if I am incorrect on this.

Thanks!

And in this thread I replied ...

I am running 15x8 ProComp's on mine with the exact same specs you are considering. I had my brakes, rotors, and calipers replaced since the wheel swap and did not have any issues at all. I too was concerned and warned the mechanic that was doing the break job of the possibility of clearance issues. He carefully mounted the wheels and claimed that he didn't detect any rubbing. I'll admit, the calipers are really f'in close to the wheel though!

And in this thread I replied ...

Cool, I wonder if it is dependent on the specific rim? I have read a few posts that some people successfully ground their caliper to stop rubbing on the rim. I'd like to stay away from that, not that there's anything really wrong with it, I just want to err on the side of caution when it comes to safety equipment. I do like the rim/tire selection better for 15s.

So if I am reading the chart correctly then 10mm offset is ~4 7/8" BS on an 8" wide rim? Hmmm . . . things to think about then. I do kinda like the Mickey Thompsons, but that broadens the range quite a bit if those work for you!

I know a set of Mickey Thompsons I hate, are the Baja ATZ. Reconsider these if they were on your list. I thought BFG AT's were bad in mud and snow.

My Duratracs should be here Monday thankfully! :)

Sorry, your post count is too low. Once it gets up to about twenty, we'll talk.

I understand, appreciate the help in the future, (i hope, lol)

I got 5150's with 255/70 valving (part number 25-186307). The 5100-equivalent part number for the AC 2" lift is 33-185552.

Thanks!

Plus VIBES!

I understand, appreciate the help in the future, (i hope, lol)

Thanks!

Plus VIBES!

I was just kidding, I will be posting my number later this morning.

I know a set of Mickey Thompsons I hate, are the Baja ATZ. Reconsider these if they were on your list. I thought BFG AT's were bad in mud and snow.

I have BFG AT's on mine and I think they work great in mud and snow. It'll go through the snow till the bumper starts to plow.

Edited by kdj

I was actually talking about the rims, Thompson tires are a bit outside my self designated price range. I really like the reviews and the look of the Duratracs as well - congrats on yours!

@snow4me - Interesting when I search that Bilstein part number it shows it for a Ford Ranger with 4" of lift. Those are the ones you have on your Pathy? Man I would have never found those by searching!

Thanks!

I was actually talking about the rims, Thompson tires are a bit outside my self designated price range. I really like the reviews and the look of the Duratracs as well - congrats on yours!

@snow4me - Interesting when I search that Bilstein part number it shows it for a Ford Ranger with 4" of lift. Those are the ones you have on your Pathy? Man I would have never found those by searching!

Thanks!

Yep. I ordered those and my AC springs from 4x4 parts.com. I'm actually surprised that the shock price wasn't out of line with what's on the net.