5 speed conversion

MightyN2

After deep thinking (not to deep) I have decided to go with a 5 speed swap in my 95 se. It currently has a automatic tranny that needs rebuilt. My question about the swap is what year 5 speed do I need and does it matter if it comes out of a pathy or hardbody truck.

yes, the X HD tranny is the way to go. with a cooler to bypass the possibly clogged stock heat exchanger.

But I did like you did and went MT all the way. (bought an MT pathy to replace my recently broken AT)

All years 4x4 VG3x WD21, D21, WD22, D22 and R50 will bolt up.

Edited by MY1PATH

The X transmission is the same length and the Pathy TX-10 transfer case bolts right to it. You need to lengthen the vent line as it's in a different place on the case but it's otherwise a direct bolt-in, plug-in swap. If you happen to find an auto trans from a supercharged X it's even more heavy duty, with an extra plate in each clutch pack vs. the regular HD trans. The S/C X trans also has a turbine speed sensor that is not used on non-S/C trucks but it doesn't hurt anything. You do have to pull that sensor in order to remove the torque converter from a S/C trans! Note that you also have to swap the flex plate to use the transmission from a S/C X. Worthy of note here is that the Nissan designation for all three of these transmissions is the same: RE4R01A. There should be a stamped aluminum tag under one of the case bolts toward the rear of the trans that has an easily deciphered date code. All RE4R01As are the same strength from '88 through the end of the '00 model year.

Not Exactly the same...

I had a 94 tranny next to a 3.3 tranny of unknown year and the casting was 1/8" longer. The Idiots at AAMSLOW transmissions had a heart attack over it but it really doesn't matter. All the bolt holes are in the same place.

I assume that newer casting processes require less machining to be true, flat and square and that is why the 3.3 RE4R01A was just a hair longer.

I know, random useless info... Have a nice day.

are the gear ratios the same in the later HD automatic and does it still have some of the common age-related complaints of the older pathy autos like the slow/laggy 2-3 shift and slow shifting between drive and reverse and the such?

my auto is still running strong it seems and i blew out the heat exchanger and it was clean inside but i hate how it over revs second gear 500-600 rpm higher than the rest for no reason. i do love manual as i have always driven them up until i got my pathy but i really like my 1750-1900 rpm highway cruising with the 33s and 4.63 gears/auto and vg33e swap. that final drive with the torque converter locked just hauls so smooth on the highway. i hate revving more than 2 grand on the highway its just annoying so the later auto hd seems like the better choice....

just want to know if it has its quirks as well or is it nice and solid?? i want better shifts.. also the auto sure is nice offroad. a lot easier to just left foot brake then to heel-toe....

Edited by Nefarious

are the gear ratios the same in the later HD automatic and does it still have some of the common age-related complaints of the older pathy autos like the slow/laggy 2-3 shift and slow shifting between drive and reverse and the such?

my auto is still running strong it seems and i blew out the heat exchanger and it was clean inside but i hate how it over revs second gear 500-600 rpm higher than the rest for no reason. i do love manual as i have always driven them up until i got my pathy but i really like my 1750-1900 rpm highway cruising with the 33s and 4.63 gears/auto and vg33e swap. that final drive with the torque converter locked just hauls so smooth on the highway. i hate revving more than 2 grand on the highway its just annoying so the later auto hd seems like the better choice....

just want to know if it has its quirks as well or is it nice and solid?? i want better shifts.. also the auto sure is nice offroad. a lot easier to just left foot brake then to heel-toe....

I don't recall where the ratios are listed but the HD transmissions actually have a higher first gear by a little bit. You cannot feel the difference, even with serious wheeling. 3rd gear is direct drive so it's the same and I think the overdrive is also the same ratio as the original Pathy trans. The HD transmissions do not have any of the issues the earlier transmissions do when they get old. They are much beefier as they were designed to hold up to the more powerful VQ engines. Why they beefed the S/C transmission further I have no idea as they don't have as much power as the VQ. :scratchhead: I guess they must have figured those trucks would get the crap beaten out of them on a regular basis.

When the transmission shifts is determined by the TCU as these are computer controlled automatics. If you're talking about mushy, 'slippy' upshifts that's because your trans has many miles and the clutches are showing their age. I *highly* recommend putting at least an 18k GVW rated trans cooler on every Pathy regardless of how it's used or which transmission it has. One of the worst things about having a heat exchanger in the radiator is that if you overheat the engine you also overheat the transmission. I doubt that most people realize if you overheat the engine you need to change the ATF ASAP. VGs will take serious overheating better than most engines (they have 13 head bolts per cylinder head!) but the transmissions will not. Another thing that will make any of these automatics live longer is to run them in 'Power' mode anytime you're not on the freeway. This raises the shift points and makes the trans shift harder. The harder an automatic shifts the longer the clutches will last! Slippage on upshifts makes heat and wears the clutches.

U can use any wd21 MT...issue is the speedometer in at least 94-95 is electric not mechanical...the ecu pulls data off of the speedometer in the electric versions but easily avoided by either using the same tx10 from a 94-95 (maybe even some 93's) with any wd21 tyranny...not as familiar with the X stuff but would assume anything off of a vg33 will mount to a vg30 BC its essentially the same block