R50 center console swap in wd21

wd21overland

Here's a pic of what the brown color console looks like for my 92 the color is almost spot on match for what the dash color is since it has that brownish gray look.

KGrHqVHJ8E8e09kWeBPI4ohNe7Q60_12.jpg

KGrHqVHJBsE8hUC-W8jBPI4oB3Dqw60_12.jpg

i saw that and was going to buy it but it seems spendy. that looks identical to my color of brown too! Wish someone would buy my 2 gray ones i already have ha no point in keeping all three.

Edited by edicer2

Well, we have a 95 auto and a 99 auto so I am tempted, but the wife would be rightfully pissed if I ripped both apart and disabled one... :D

The R50 unit is superior in at least 1/2 a dozen ways.

I'll put "R50 center console" right next to "X-terra rack"... :tired:

B

Before you go screwing with the wife's vehicle remember, woman get their revenge when you go to sleep!

James

Could you just rob the r50s auto shifter and hook it up to your cable?

I went on Courtsey parts.com and looked at the wd21 and R50 auto trans shifter and it should work. The shifter cable that connects the transmission to the shifter is the same part# from 90 all the way to 2004 pathfinder so that was my main worry and also the electrical connector that plugs into the light on the shifter is also the same and the mechanisam that unlocks when you press the brake is the same

SO most of the major stuff is still the same.

only thing that might be a problem is the way the shifter bolts to the body they look like there in different spots but a bracket or drilling holes in the shifter base where the wd21 bolts to should work.

Edited by wd21overland

I went on Courtsey parts.com and looked at the wd21 and R50 auto trans shifter and it should work. The shifter cable that connects the transmission to the shifter is the same part# from 90 all the way to 2004 pathfinder so that was my main worry and also the electrical connector that plugs into the light on the shifter is also the same and the mechanisam that unlocks when you press the brake is the same

SO most of the major stuff is still the same.

only thing that might be a problem is the way the shifter bolts to the body they look like there in different spots but a bracket or drilling holes in the shifter base where the wd21 bolts to should work.

if you go to the junk yard and dont want the brown one PM me.

Also the nice thing about the R50 console is you can buy and manual or auto no matter what you have since the black trim that goes around the shifter part swap between the console so even if you have a manual and find only a auto console you would only need the trim piece to make to work. So it makes it easier finding one that works

if you go to the junk yard and dont want the brown one PM me.

They have 3 brown console there and there pricing is cheap just $16 for the console so just go to ups or fedex or which ever company you like and see what shipping would be to you from zip code 68123

Google maps shows your city is about 265 miles from me so guessing shipping won't be bad.

Edited by wd21overland

You bet :aok:

But have other priorities right now, like a spare tire carrier and the things that hold the R50 cargo cover in place (I want ot finish this mod, already have the cargo cover).

The hard part ($) is shipping because these are the things we don't have here.

Found something interesting while i was picking up the r50 console i was looking at the seat on the r50 and notice that it looks like it would bolt right up to the wd21.

So i went on courtsey auto on my phone and found that the 87 to 95 pathfinder and 96 to 99 pathfinder have the same seat track part#

So since i had my electric impact with me and there was a wd21 that didnt have a passenger seat in it i removed the r50 passenger side seat and it bolt right in to the wd21 no problem at all.

So there just a random fact if anyone wanted to know.

Here are the links from them showing the same part# for the wd21 and r50 up to year 2000 after that there is a different frame.

The power seat frame it different on the r50 but the mounting holes are the same.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-wd21-1987-1995/genuine-nissan-parts/seat-seat-belt/870-front-seat/-c-5572_5573_5734_5738.html

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-r50-1996-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/seat-seat-belt/870-front-seat/-c-4700_4701_4867_4870.html

So at least a 98 pathfinder se seat bolted right into a pathfinder.

Edited by wd21overland

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if the spacing between the racks is the same in both, if the seat widths are the same and if the racks are bolted in the same position. It could mean there is more room for the R50 center console, but the seats are offset wider and that interferes with door panels in the WD21, or something? I'll try to take some measurements of both in the next few days to get an idea of the big picture.

B

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if the spacing between the racks is the same in both, if the seat widths are the same and if the racks are bolted in the same position. It could mean there is more room for the R50 center console, but the seats are offset wider and that interferes with door panels in the WD21, or something? I'll try to take some measurements of both in the next few days to get an idea of the big picture.

B

Good question i only test to see if it would bolt in since the wd21 didn't have a center console or door i'm not sure on the full fit i will need to go back and find one with full interior in and see snug it is or if you can even close the door.

I love threads like this... more great junkyard parts!!!!! I am doin a round dash swap soon and r50 seats and center console would just complete the interior. If there's any update on r50 seat fitment, then keep us posted....please! :)

I love threads like this... more great junkyard parts!!!!! I am doin a round dash swap soon and r50 seats and center console would just complete the interior. If there's any update on r50 seat fitment, then keep us posted....please! :)

+1

I'm looking for a wrecked R50 local to do a major swap with my 88, engine, 5speed, & transfer, dash all electrical, and whatever interior parts I can swap out.

I've been wanting to swap the auto for a 5speed for a long time and I figured it wouldn't cost that much more if I picked up a complete pathfinder, so far everything is either 2wd or very high mileage

Edited by vagabond

Ok so today i went and installed the r50 center console in my pathy.

I can now say that if you have a auto that you will need to do 2 extra things that you don't have to with a manual.

First if you have auto trans console from a R50 it wont fit nicely over the wd21 auto shifter and will have horrible gaps.

Now you can probally use the r50 shifter instead but i didn't have one on hand.

But not a big deal the front top portion of the console can swap out for auto or manual the rest of the console is the same.

Ok so to continue i used the manual r50 console now for the swap i just removed the top of the a/t shift handle and slid the manual shifter boot on it and put the handle back on.

It actually looks factory just a leather shift boot around the a/t handle now.

Ok for the second problem the center bolt for the console to mount is right on top of the the a/t shifter cable which isn't a issue for a manual wd21 but for me the console wouldnt go down and had about a 2 in bulge in the middle.

But all that was needed was to bend the mount tap a bit and fit very snug.

So to finish i used a R50 manual console in a auto tranny wd21.

I used a brown console since the 92 interior is kind of a brownish gray and matched it alot better where as the gray r50 console matches the 93+ wd21 interior color.

Also loading pics soon of the install.

Edited by wd21overland

Swapping the dashboard is fun in the wiring department. :crossedwires: