R50 center console swap in wd21

wd21overland

I was told 1 person on the forum has done this before but i was unable to find pics or if he was a manual or auto transmission.

I would just like to know if anyone has swapped a r50 center console into a wd21 pathfinder.

I know the parking brake handle will need to be moved closer to the drivers side which isn't a problem but just seeing if anyone has done this or has pics.

I also heard something about using a jeep grand cherokee console but something about it being to wide and not being able to use lumbar support which i need.

• Like 1

I have 2 of the manual r50 center consoles in my garage I am going to be doing this swap soon if I dont mess up the second console ill sell it off to a member here. I will also post pictures.

I tried the jeep console and that was a epic fail on my part i couldnt get it to work so I will know shortly how this r50 one looks!

Edited by edicer2

It was an auto, I'll see if I can find the thread (in the FS section) or just post a picture. I want to do this swap, but R50's are hard to come by in the yards here.

I lied, it was a five speed, here are the pictures.

IMAG0002-1.jpg

IMAG0004-1.jpg

This is installed in a square dash truck (93), and I have a real good hunch that it would fit much cleaner in a round dash (94-95) truck.

Edited by silverton

It was an auto, I'll see if I can find the thread (in the FS section) or just post a picture. I want to do this swap, but R50's are hard to come by in the yards here.

I lied, it was a five speed, here are the pictures.

IMAG0002-1.jpg

IMAG0004-1.jpg

This is installed in a square dash truck (93), and I have a real good hunch that it would fit much cleaner in a round dash (94-95) truck.

Very nice i like the look of it in the wd21's.

Mines a auto so was seeing if the cut out hole for the auto will line up with the r50 if not a manual console should work just need to take off the handle and slide the cover over and put it pack on.

You would cover up the indicators put there on the dash lol and most i'm sure know what gear there in lol.

Well i just did it in about 2 hours. Sorry its dark i got done right when the sun started to set.

move over 2.25" ....there is also a little stem looking thing on the bottom of the console that interferes with the parking brake movement.

2012-02-21_16-54-43_458.jpg

i had to make slits for the seat belt

2012-02-21_19-18-04_779.jpg

the rear of the center console is so tight in there i didnt bother bolting it in. i onyl bolted in the front 4

I also had to remove the handle on the side of the driver seat because it was so tight to the console.

rest of it bolts in. even the switches fit!

2012-02-21_19-16-50_956.jpg

2012-02-21_19-16-59_612.jpg

2012-02-21_19-17-09_770.jpg

2012-02-21_19-17-18_659.jpg

2012-02-21_19-17-34_136.jpg

2012-02-21_19-17-46_73.jpg

Edited by edicer2

it looks blue in pics but it is gray (the newer 93+ gray i have a the brownish 92 color but its close enough)...i also have another one for sale if someone wants to do this swap to theirs.

Very nice man i like how it looks alot.

there is no hole on an auto. a cable runs back where the e-brake cable is and goes under the truck to the transmission. It's cable shifted, not direct.

I should have been clearer i meant the R50 console has plastic trim molded around the auto trans shifter (Black Base).

So i was hoping that the plastic trim will line up with the auto shifter from the wd21 if not you would have to cut the trim and it might not look the best.

If you had a manual then its not a big deal since the boots would cover everything up.

it looks blue in pics but it is gray (the newer 93+ gray i have a the brownish 92 color but its close enough)...i also have another one for sale if someone wants to do this swap to theirs.

Good Job!! :clap:

You say it was so tight in back that you didn't bolt it down. Does it still open correctly without excess rubbing??

B

Good Job!! :clap:

You say it was so tight in back that you didn't bolt it down. Does it still open correctly without excess rubbing??

B

Thank you Sir.

Yeah it opens and fuctions fine its at the bottom by the seat belts it gets wide and is tight. seats still move forward and back and you can maybe mount it in the back it wa getting dark and it was solid enough for me with just the front. maybe someday ill do the back when I do the rear cig lighter i forgot to hook that up now that i look at the pictures.

I was wondering this same thing ages ago as well. Since the R50's share the same auto trans, wouldn't it be as easy as swapping the shifter and the console over? I don't know enough about these things but it seemed to me like it would be doable since its the same tranny. I can understand how if it was a completely different tranny it would be a tremendous amount of work to try and make a shifter work with the nissan tranny, but this sounds doable and I was always wondering if it could work. Looking forward to watching this progress.

I was wondering this same thing ages ago as well. Since the R50's share the same auto trans, wouldn't it be as easy as swapping the shifter and the console over? I don't know enough about these things but it seemed to me like it would be doable since its the same tranny. I can understand how if it was a completely different tranny it would be a tremendous amount of work to try and make a shifter work with the nissan tranny, but this sounds doable and I was always wondering if it could work. Looking forward to watching this progress.

seeing as its a simple cable setup all the shifter does it move the cable it does seem like it should work.

Oddly we have about 10 r50's of all flavors in the local u pull it along with wd21'so i'm going to remove the console form the r50 at there and try it in a auto and see how it fits.

If it wont fit the a/t shifter i will see if the r50 shifter will fit in the wd21.

Also the loss of the lumbar kind of sucks but seeing as how i always have it out at full i can just leave it there and be happy.

there is a nut under that handle you can always use a wrench and adjust it. I never change mine anyways.

Well, we have a 95 auto and a 99 auto so I am tempted, but the wife would be rightfully pissed if I ripped both apart and disabled one... :D

The R50 unit is superior in at least 1/2 a dozen ways.

I'll put "R50 center console" right next to "X-terra rack"... :tired:

B

day time photos...

2012-02-22_17-17-29_683.jpg

2012-02-22_17-17-15_846.jpg

2012-02-22_17-16-49_98.jpg

2012-02-22_17-16-34_551.jpg

2012-02-22_17-16-16_426.jpg

You have the exact same color interior as mine i swear they should have labeled it as a brown color lol i love the way the console looks and its fit.

Now i need to decided what color console to get they have a gray, brown and a black console in the local j/y.

I'm going to go there this weekend and take measurments and see if the auto version on that console will fit my a/t shifter if not i can just used the manual shifter one and just removed the handle and slide the boot over it and but the handle back on might not look bad but hoping the cover will fit.

hmm i wonder if the brown is close? I would totally buy the brown one if it is the gray bothers me i kind of want to sell my 2 gray ones and get brown one.

Here's a pic of what the brown color console looks like for my 92 the color is almost spot on match for what the dash color is since it has that brownish gray look.

KGrHqVHJ8E8e09kWeBPI4ohNe7Q60_12.jpg

KGrHqVHJBsE8hUC-W8jBPI4oB3Dqw60_12.jpg

Edited by wd21overland