what would be the biggest difference in tire size for a spare?

ahardb0dy

The tire I was thinking about using is a full size tire, it's just a hair smaller, it's a 255/65/15 and I am running 31's, I bought a lego wheel this past Monday at junkyard and I have this tire sitting here on a Dakota Aluminum wheel, both brand new never been on the road so I was thinking of using it as a spare. But wanted to check into the size difference first. The dakota tire is mounted on an 8" wide wheel and it wouldn't work on the steel spare Nissan wheel so that is why I picked up the lego wheel. I can't find the size specs for the 255/65/15 since no one seems to make that size anymore so I looked up a 255/65/16 which should be the same diameter.

A 255/65/15 equates to a 28" tall 10" wide roughly.In reality your 31" is probably closer to 30" unless it's a swamper.Not a good idea to use . In a pinch on your FRONT end you could probably get away with it .If you were going 55mph your 255/65/15 would be spinning approximately 60mph .(figures not exact,but close)The difference gets bigger as you go faster smaller as you go slower. A lot of cars have little spares that your not supposed to go over 55 with,but on 4x4 get a full size spare. Good Luck.

You can run a smaller spare just never on a limited slip differential.

This was always my worry with the factory spare... that, and the cracks in the side. A close spare is better than the factory spare, but not nearly as good as a full-size. My dad bought me a 31" for the spare wheel... wasn't cheap though.

Sell that one with the wheel and put the $ towards a full size spare maybe?

I've been trying to sell the dakota wheel/tire for about 5 years, can't even give the damn thing away. I'm surprised it's a brand new 15 x 8 aluminum wheel and brand new Goodyear Eagle LS tire, the tire even has the sticker showing where to line it up with the valve stem.

This was always my worry with the factory spare... that, and the cracks in the side. A close spare is better than the factory spare, but not nearly as good as a full-size. My dad bought me a 31" for the spare wheel... wasn't cheap though.

Didn't the pathfinders that came with 31's come with a matching spare? I also need a tire cover if anyone has an extra one laying around.

The tire I was thinking about using is a full size tire, it's just a hair smaller, it's a 255/65/15 and I am running 31's, I bought a lego wheel this past Monday at junkyard and I have this tire sitting here on a Dakota Aluminum wheel, both brand new never been on the road so I was thinking of using it as a spare. But wanted to check into the size difference first. The dakota tire is mounted on an 8" wide wheel and it wouldn't work on the steel spare Nissan wheel so that is why I picked up the lego wheel. I can't find the size specs for the 255/65/15 since no one seems to make that size anymore so I looked up a 255/65/16 which should be the same diameter.

Actually, no. 65 is the sidewall height in percentage relative to the width of the tread in millimeters (225) or 10.04" wide with a 6.525" sidewall height (166mm). If the rim size is one inch larger in diameter, so is the tire diameter with the same tread width and sidewall ratio.

255/65/15=28" diameter

255/65/16=29" diameter

The fact that no one makes it anymore is probably why you can't get rid of it. I respect being frugal, but in this case I suspect you aren't doing yourself any good. Take the tire to a local shop and donate it to them (if they want it) in exchange for a free mount and balance. Either sell the rim and buy a matching one, or use it. Get another tire of the same diameter (I recommend the same tread also), go back to the same shop and have them mount it for you. Then you will be rid of a useless tire and have a correct full sized spare.

The WD21 spares are stupid; they came with undersized spares mounted on an external carrier!! :crazy:

Pathys with 235/75/15 had 215/75/15 50/50 emergency only spares, and I believe that the ones with 31" tires came with 235/75/15 spares. Dumb as a box of rocks if you ask me.

B

your right it is a 28" diameter, oh well time to look for a 31", Would have to be a new tire as a worn 31" would be a different diameter also

Don't think I can donate the tire, Discount Tire told me they can't even touch a tire more than 10 years old and even if the tire is brand new it could have defects from age that you can't see inside, I figured this tire would still be good it's not like it's been sitting out in the sun dry rotting or anything.

Thanks