AC idler pulley

devonianwalk

Get this, my idler pulley started making all sorts of sqeeling racket today while I was running errands. I got home and diagnosed the problem by removing the AC belt. I called a couple of "big box" auto parts stores (Autozone and Advanced Auto) and they both claimed that it was a discontinued item and that they couldn't even order one for me. I called NAPA and they have it in stock for $34. Rock Auto has to have it shipped from an "off site" warehouse and wants $32 for it. Looks like I'm taking the Miata back into town!

Get this, my idler pulley started making all sorts of sqeeling racket today while I was running errands. I got home and diagnosed the problem by removing the AC belt. I called a couple of "big box" auto parts stores (Autozone and Advanced Auto) and they both claimed that it was a discontinued item and that they couldn't even order one for me. I called NAPA and they have it in stock for $34. Rock Auto has to have it shipped from an "off site" warehouse and wants $32 for it. Looks like I'm taking the Miata back into town!

Are you going to do a writeup or is the swap really easy?

Are you going to do a writeup or is the swap really easy?

It's the easiest pulley to get to. Open the hood and look past your upper fan shroud. It's the small pulley right on top. All you need is a #14 socket!

I was just really dumbfounded that these to local auto parts stores couldn't even order it. :thumbsdown:

A few weeks ago I had a similar problem. I started to hear squeaking/squeeling, and, like you I removed the AC belt and the noise went away. I thought the AC idler pulley was the culprit, but even after replacing it, the squealing didn't go away. Eventually it was diagnosed to be the harmonic balancer, which is actually a 2-piece pulley. The outer pulleys (alt/AC) are attached to the inner assembly (crankshaft collar/PS pulley) by a rubber "bushing" of sorts, and when that rubber hardens, the outer pulley will start to slip around the inner.

A few weeks ago I had a similar problem. I started to hear squeaking/squeeling, and, like you I removed the AC belt and the noise went away. I thought the AC idler pulley was the culprit, but even after replacing it, the squealing didn't go away. Eventually it was diagnosed to be the harmonic balancer, which is actually a 2-piece pulley. The outer pulleys (alt/AC) are attached to the inner assembly (crankshaft collar/PS pulley) by a rubber "bushing" of sorts, and when that rubber hardens, the outer pulley will start to slip around the inner.

I trashed my balancer by using a strap wrench on it to turn the crank. The rubber seal broke free, and over the course of more than two months, the outer part walked forward until the belts jumped off.

It's a dumb design. The small block Chevy type is way better.

Yep, I replaced both of my tension pulleys to try to quiet my engine bay down a bit, did not help me. I wish I had just gone to a bearing shop with em and bought new bearings and pressed them in, prolly a lot cheaper and you replace the part actually at fault, not the whole damn thing!

I work at autozone and it is a normally stocked part for us.

Part number 231134. You might want to check with their web site to verify that it's the right part.

Maybe they were looking up another part? I found it really strange that both stores told me the same thing. Hmmm ... :scratchhead:

I wish I had just gone to a bearing shop with em and bought new bearings and pressed them in, prolly a lot cheaper and you replace the part actually at fault, not the whole damn thing!

I made the same comment to the guy at the parts counter.

FRACK! The squeeling sound is coming back. It's very intermittent and only starts when the engine is running steady at 2k rpm. Every time I get out and check it wont squeel. I can rev the engine slowly and it will have an occasional "chirp chirp chirp sqeeeeeeeeeel chirp". I will pull the belt again tomorrow and check the the other idler pulley. It dosen't seem to be coming from as low as the crank shaft pulley (HB).

eusa_think.gif Curious, the fan seems to blow extra hard at start up and "calm down" before the cold idle dies down. Could a bad fan clutch squeel?

Edited by devonianwalk

Last week I removed my AC belt and my squeal stopped, then 10 miles later my harmonic balencer slid forward till it just touched the fan clutch. I made it home and got every apart except for the balencer bolt. I tried every thing but it would not budge. Just had it towed to the mechanic to see if he could anything with it. $280 for the pulley, $100 for towing and who knows how much the garage bill will be. I love my pathfinder but the is p*ssing me off! I still don't know if the mechanic can get the bolt out, if not I guess I've got a realy big door stop.

The only way to get the HB bolt out is to remove the drive belts and radiator in order to get an impact wrench in there. I've been into mine a couple of times now. My biggest beef right now is the age of my HB itself. I just replaced it less than a year ago due to a terrible squeal.

Last week I removed my AC belt and my squeal stopped, then 10 miles later my harmonic balencer slid forward till it just touched the fan clutch. I made it home and got every apart except for the balencer bolt. I tried every thing but it would not budge. Just had it towed to the mechanic to see if he could anything with it. $280 for the pulley, $100 for towing and who knows how much the garage bill will be. I love my pathfinder but the is p*ssing me off! I still don't know if the mechanic can get the bolt out, if not I guess I've got a realy big door stop.

If the mechanic can't get the bolt out he shouldn't be workin' on cars! It really isn't that hard if you have the right tools. I see you're in brockville, to bad you're not close to kemptville I know a good mechanic who doesn't rape on labor rates.

I used a 1/2" impact gun, came off real easy.

I bought my new harmonic balancer off rock auto for $92 less the 5% discount plus shipping.

• 4 weeks later...

As an update after trying my air impact, a friends big electic(more torque) and bending my 1/2 breaker bar, I took it to the mechanic. His impact wounldn't loosen it either. So after heating it up twice he got it out. He said he'd never found one that hard to got out but the balencer just came off by hand-no puller needed. I was worried the torching might damage the front seal but it's been a month since then and all is still good.

As an update after trying my air impact, a friends big electic(more torque) and bending my 1/2 breaker bar, I took it to the mechanic. His impact wounldn't loosen it either. So after heating it up twice he got it out. He said he'd never found one that hard to got out but the balencer just came off by hand-no puller needed. I was worried the torching might damage the front seal but it's been a month since then and all is still good.

That's insane! Mine spun off fairly easily. I did have to use a puller to get mine off though.

... and to add to your update. My squeeling is completely gone. I think that I had over tightened one of my drive belts.

I had to pull my AC condenser out to get the electric impact in there and decided not to put it back in as I never used the AC anyway. So I now have a ton of extra room in there with condenser, compressor, dryer, lines, idler etc. all gone. So now I'm thinking on putting in a big tranny cooler I have and going with an electric fan. With the dryer and lines gone I think with some mods to the battery shelf there may be room for a dual battery set up as well. So maybe something good came out of it. Glad you got rid of your squeeeeel as well...I was getting tired of that look people were giving me.

Edited by kdj