Anyone Changed The Auto Hubs To Manual?

keithb7

I think I read somewhere on here that if you replace the auto locking hubs with manul lockers you can get a significant increase in fuel milage. Has anyone actually done this? If so did you do a fuel milage calculation? Any improvement?

I did the full tune up last summer, plugs, filters, rotor, cap, etc. After the tune up I was getting about 20 Mpg on the Hiway. Not the greatest in my opinion. Maybe I'll try changing the O2 sensor and installing a K&N filter.

What about an electric fan? Any improvement on fuel costs? Am I reaching for straws here? There must be somethin can be done. I can live with the poor fuel economy if there was at least decent horsepower. I keep thinking either improve the fuel economy or the power, as this V6 is one of the weakest 6 cylinders I have driven. Maybe the gearing is low as this is a 4X4, maybe its the larger tires? The extra weight of the bush bar and the side steps? It all adds up I know to poor fuel economy. Other than fuel costs I do love my Pathfinder.

All of the above...mine weighs about 4400+ lbs without me in it, has 33" tires, 4.625 gearing, roof racks, spare tire on the roof, lights on the roof, 40 lb skidplate, add-ons, etc...I get about 10-12 MPG. Be thankful you're getting better than that, eh? ;)

These things never were rated for high gas mileage. 15 city 18 highway is stock MPG.

An electric fan will help a lot on mpg. Mine (93 Pathy)jumped 3-4mpg. I took a trip before the swap and got 18mpg after the swap on long hauls I was getting over 20mpg (got 22mpg on a trip to Tenn, got 24mpg on a trip to DC). In town it is noticable because it only kicks on when needed and still has better milage than stock(I usually put about 16 or 17 gallons in on a fill up and get about 360 miles on that). The engine seems to run smoother without the clutch fan on the front of it also.

My 88 is getting 17mpg on highway milage with the clutch fan, around 15 in town. I'll be putting an electric in it once the funds are available to do so.

The thermostat kit will come with instructions. Mine simply sticks inbetween cooling fins right next to the upper radiator hose. I bought the thermostat kit from a local parts store, Knechts. A Ford Taurus 16.5" fan will fit fine after trimming, as will a Quest or Villager 16.5" fan after trimming. They don't fit well in stock form, but trimming plastic is child's play.

I would expect a slight fuel milage increase all the time as there is less load on the engine. All these belt driven components like alternators, A/C compressors, power steering pumps, water pump, and fan drive all rob precious horsepower from the engine. Look at a 1/4 mile car, they pull everything they can off the front of the engine. They usually have electric fans and electric waterpumps. Usually the one lonely belt drives the alternator and that's it. All adds up to more horsepower to the wheels.

On an R50 Pathfinder, they have drive flanges on the front wheels, not hubs. This means they spin the front axles and diff all the time, regardless of which position the transfer case is in. Putting manual locking hubs on an R50 frees up the front axles and diff, which reduces rotating mass and frictional losses involved with the front drivetrain spinning, thereby giving you slightly better gas mileage.

If you do put hubs on a R50, you'd need to be real careful about putting it into 4WD while the vehicle is in motion, cause the front drivetrain won't be spinning if the hubs are unlocked. Shift the t-case into 4WD and it'd grind fairly nicely and make bad noises, probably. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I will be getting the Superwinch manual locking hubs soon...will let ya know how they go for me...they are "better" (going by description and goodies/features) than teh Warn. They are sealed, which we need for teh sand, snow and all the mud I like to slop around in...and they're $50 cheaper than the Warns...added bonus....LOL :bow: