Lifting the Rear

rwd5021

For a month or so my (girlfriend's) r50 has been sitting in the yard due to the fact that I desperately need new springs in the back. I recently replaced the struts (with stock height Gabriel brand struts from autozone) and the front feels much better, but now the rear seems way more out of control and quite dangerous. So my question is: do you guys think it would be safe to run the 2" rear lift coils from AC with stock height suspension in the front? I know it might look goofy for awhile, but I don't have enough $ to do everything at once.

Check the link Bushings for play(they may be shot), that may be where the out of control feeling is coming from. My back end is real saggy and it doesn't feel out of control as my bushings are still tight

Edited by SilverPath

I have 130k miles on a completely stock suspension and aside from some wobble on the highway at higher speeds (75+) and the need for an alignment I don't have any issues controlling the vehicle. I second checking the bushings.

Ah sorry should of added onto that, check the upper and lower link bushings in the rear, grab them and try and wiggle them in all different directions. If they move they are toast...I suppose you could check the sway bar end links aswell while you are down there.

Edited by SilverPath

Ok thanks, I know what you're talking about now, just wanted to make sure. I'm guessing pretty much all the bushings need to be replaced as most parts on the truck seem to be original at 155,000 miles.

So let's say I replace those bushings and it seems to drive ok again.. That would be great, but I still need new coils in the back too. I'll try and get a picture of them tomorrow but they look really bad, like they're ready to pop out of place at any moment. Would it be safe to lift the rear and leave the front at stock height? I'd rather not have to buy 2 sets of rear coils(and I don't have the $ for the whole lift right now) but I need to make sure it would be safe for street use cause my girlfriend wants to start driving her truck.

Replace the bushings and, at least from what I've read, that'll fix the problem. Unless the previous owner really beat it into the ground, the springs aren't the problem, and you shouldn't need to replace them to make the truck safe. I'd wait and do the lift all at once, once you have all the bits.

Yup, the first pic is the driver side and second pic is the passenger side. I know it's been in at least 2 accidents and I need to get a new panhard rod cause it's welded together. The whole axle is shifted toward the passenger side, I think partially from the panhard rod not being welded back together straight and partially from those springs that look like they wanna die. Anyone agree? Or have a better idea?

Edited by rwd5021

Yah those springs are definitely messed up.

I think i would try and get the axle straight first with a new panhard rod. Then install new springs right after you get the axle fixed. I would recommend OME springs if your not looking for lots of lift, because AC will raise the rear a decent amount until it settles. I drove around on mine with just the rear lifted for 2 weeks until i got around to getting the front done.

Order all your parts first then finish the job at once to get her back on the road :aok:

Oh and check into bushing like other members have recommended

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

Those springs aren't even R50 rear springs at all! R50 rear springs are constant diameter and fit around the large hump on the lower spring perch. Looks like someone did a hackjob on your rear suspension at some time. OEM R50 rear springs look like the one on the right:

2011_09_10_Levante%252520Path_170.jpg

Were you looking to lift the truck at some point? If so, then you can install the 2" lift springs, though it'll look really funny. How long do you think it'd be before you put in new front springs?

Edited by XPLORx4

Wow, that is alarming to say the least.. Not too surprising tho I guess, keeping in mind who I got it from. Looks are not important at this point, just safety. Yes I do plan on lifting it as soon as $ allows. I want to go with the AC 2" lift. It won't be driven like that for very long, just until she can find a job and we get her first check.

Xplor is right. It almost looks like those springs were intentionally heated to make them fit her Pathy. I'll venture to bet that the ride is some what "springy" in the rear? I've seen similar results when kids heat the springs on Hondas to lower the ride height. Not very safe!

I've never ridden in another r50 so I don't have a comparison, but I guess it is kinda stiff in the back. I think phantom01 had a good idea about getting a new panhard rod and trying OME springs(I'll replace the link bushings too, if necessary). I had thought about going with OME before but, for some reason I don't remember, I chose AC? Probably cause of the extra 1/4", but looking at it now maybe it'd be better so go with 1.75" instead of 2" of lift since the front will stay stock for a bit.

Edited by rwd5021

I doubt that could be more dangerous than just leaving it as is, so I think that's my plan. So I guess I'll order the OME coils and try to find a panhard rod at a u pull it this weekend as long as the weather's good.. Maybe I can find some jgc coils for the wd21 while I'm there.

Coil springs should last the life of the vehicle unless they've been f***ed with, which appears to be the case here.

I don't know man. The whole reason I lifted my ride was due to a worn out suspension ("saggy ass" if you will?)

I drove around on mine with just the rear lifted for 2 weeks until i got around to getting the front done.

Did it feel unsafe at all?

It felt just as safe as when it was stock. Just make sure that when you get all your parts, to get new shocks too. Even though the OME springs dont lift it as much as the AC springs, you will still need longer shocks otherwise they will be maxed out.