Windshield crack needs repair

westslope

The windshield on the '94 pathie has developed a several inch crack from a fishing trip after Christmas. It needs to be replaced. I checked out 4 shops in Canada and 3 in the USA. The price range was impressive from $200 + tax (8.7%) in Washington State to $500 + tax (12%) in Canada. Time to remove and replace varied from 3 or 4 hours to just one hour. Canadian shops quoted 3+ hours. US shops quoted 1 to 2 hours.

So what is up? Do Canadians do better work or are American windshield removers and installers all that more efficient? :shrug: I like the idea of shopping in the US because it is so close.

---------------------------------------------

I went to 3 places in White Rock, BC which sits just above the US border.

Place #1: C$500+ tax (12%)

Place #2: C$411 (tax included)

Place #3: $298 + tax

Places #1 and #2 said it would take 3 hours. Place #3 wants to keep the vehicle for 4 hours. All windshield shops offer a courtesy car (with advance warning). #1, #2 and #3 shops are all on the same street and within a couple of minutes walking distance of each other.

I telephoned Place $4 in Surrey: C$500 + tax

USA shops

Then I telephoned a few places in Blaine, WA and Bellingham, WA which are just south of us.

US place #1 (Blaine, WA): $210 => $227.85 plus tax (1 1/2 hours to install)

US place #2 (Lynden, WA) $249 + tax (2 hours)

US place #3 (Bellingham, WA) $200 installed + tax = $217.60.(one hour to install).

===============================

Questions:

What are the odds of an independent doing a bad job of installing a windshield?

If a shop only takes one hour or 1 1/2 hours to remove and install, does that indicate fast, poorer quality work?

When I had mine done, the most expensive part was the windshield itself. Cost 335, with taxes, here in Ontario most of that was the windshield. It cracked on me while I was out west and I was going to have it done in Seattle but couldn't afford it at the time, even though it was much cheaper like you have found.

Depending on where your truck is from and how well it was maintained there may be rust under the windshield that they need to repair so the new one doesn't leak. The shop I took mine to included that in the price, they had the truck for 4 hours (they informed me of this beforehand) but it only said "r & r windshield" on the invoice. It actually doesn't take them long to pull the glass, they had mine out in half an hour.

The place I took mine to was Apple Auto Glass. If the ones out there are anything like the one I went to I would strongly recommend them.

Edited by adamzan

:scratchhead: Odd? A broken/cracked windshield is replaced for free in South Carolina by the owners insurance company. I think that it is some sort of state law? I've had three replaced on prior vehicles and I don't have a clue on how long it took them as they came to my residence once, and my work place the other two times.

As with any shop or auto repair, the prices and times will greatly vary. Some shops may be very busy and won't even start working on your car for hours. Other shops may be waiting for the next customer and might have you done within the hour. Those factors depend on things like the price, quality of work, and the customer service.

Labor rates can also vary seemingly randomly.

I would agree and say that the bulk of the cost is the windshield. Professionals know how to install a windshield properly and efficiently. This shouldn't take more than 30-45 mins like said above.

I had a similar experience.

I needed: re-packed wheel bearings on both front wheels

New CV axle

Shops quoted me:

#1 $587 parts + labor. 2 days wait time

#2 $719 parts +labor. 6 hours wait time

#3 $250 for labor of axle, bearings, AND a discovered leaking caliper. Had it done 4 hours later.

I bought the parts for $116 and had it done at shop #3.

The first two shops charged $95/hour, while the third shop was $60. #3 was by far the busiest, most friendly, and most convincing shop. They were, of course, independently owned and operated.

A windshield for a wd21 may be more expensive than the average one because it is older, and, therefore, less common and harder to get. Prices of $200-$500 sound a bit extreme to me. Last time I dealt with windshields, my dad got his windshield replaced for $170 and they even came to his house to do it.

You were asking about price vs. quality vs. time. With my experience, I trusted the small, cheaper, quicker independent shop much more with my vehicle. They had cars lined up waiting around the block for quality service, the owner personally talked to me, and they gave me my old parts back. I can't wait to get something else fixed by them.

Edited by 1994SEV6

i would think the time difference would be from the shops estimate when they can get it in to start working on it and also what glue they use could have a factor? maybe some need longer to set up before they can give it back. i remember them telling me several years ago when i had one replaced that i needed to leave the windows cracked so when i shut the doors the cabin air pressure didnt pop the winshield up and cause it to leak.

and as far as quality of the install, the shops should have to specality tools to remove the windshield easily and quickly so its just a matter of how much they want to charge for their time and materials.

Edited by hillbillybob

The main price difference between the Canadian and US prices are as Adamzan said. The cost of Glass. You need to remember we live in Glorious Canada where we don't make Anything but rather export raw materials and import finished goods. The glass you are buying is probably the very same glass the US shop is going to use. The difference is going to be the fact that the shop here is going to be buying that same glass at US pricing, so currency conversion applies, then Shipping, then duty/importation fees, then mark up for his business. So the end result is always much higher for the same goods here. I live in a border town and I can tell you that its absolutely retarded that the severity of pricing from one side of the bridge to the other for the exact same product can be so different.

Free Trade my Ass.....

Thanks a TON Brian Mulroney.

#3 $250 for labor of axle, bearings, AND a discovered leaking caliper. Had it done 4 hours later.

I bought the parts for $116 and had it done at shop #3.

That wouldn't fly around here. Most shops not only make a decent amount by marking up parts, they will not warranty any part they do not sell.

That wouldn't fly around here. Most shops not only make a decent amount by marking up parts, they will not warranty any part they do not sell.

I don' understand how they make their money off marking up prices when they charge $95/hour....

I know what you mean though. Initially, to get it through inspection, I needed to replace two wheel studs and 2 lug nuts. Shop #1 wanted $20 for the wheel studs and $20 for the lug nuts. For the most part, I just let them BS me with prices and blah blah. I questioned them on this. The guy nearly killed me in defense. "We get quality parts from NAPA!! NOT THAT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS CRAP!!!!". So then I drove to Napa and got my 2 wheel studs and 2 lug nuts for under $7.

This shop that I took it to was so busy they didn't even have the time or the will to mark prices up. Before he took my knuckle apart, I thought I might need new wheel bearings. He wrote me up a price for parts. I went to Advance Auto parts and the price he wrote me was like $5 more than AAP.

But anyway. sorry for getting off-topic from the OP.

Edited by 1994SEV6

dude you are in bc, why not take it to icbc and get them to fix it for the 200$ deductable? wouldnt that make a lot more sense?

He may not have comprehensive coverage, or he might not have chosen the $300/$200 deductible option.

Thats because our dealers dont even charge $95/hour, let alone private shops.

I think my local dealer is $105/hour and the local shops (at least the one I went to) are ~$60. Some "Far East motors" specialty shop wanted $120/hour just for diagnosis of problems. After the problem was diagnosed, fixing said problem was $140.

lol. nty.

my insurance has NEVER increased because of a windshield claim. i know this for a fact... i still have maximum discount and my rates have never changed.

x2

:scratchhead: Odd? A broken/cracked windshield is replaced for free in South Carolina by the owners insurance company. I think that it is some sort of state law? I've had three replaced on prior vehicles and I don't have a clue on how long it took them as they came to my residence once, and my work place the other two times.

Not odd at all. Comprehensive insurance is not free. If you do some calculations, you may find that maintaining positive cash balances and planning to pay for this kind of repair with your own cash is by far the cheapest. We simply self insure. Naturally, this doesn't work so well for folks who maintain large balances on their credit cards.

Speaking of 'odd', I find it odd that Americans, both privately and collectively, are behaving like the Greeks these days..... Why save when you can borrow? B)

Edited by westslope

dude you are in bc, why not take it to icbc and get them to fix it for the 200$ deductable? wouldnt that make a lot more sense?

For those of you from Mars.... icbc = Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. Auto insurance was nationalized a few years ago in B.C. Yes, civil servants run the show and it shows. The rates are expensive, and the service can suck really badly. When our pathie was stolen a few years ago, ICBC made us pay for their personnel issues.

Nefarious, a deductible means that the insurance company covers the cost after the deductible amount is removed. So in this case, suppose I had comprehensive coverage with a $200 deductible and went with the lowest bid on the Canadian side of the border. ICBC would reimburse us for approximately 1/3 of the cost.

Edited by westslope

Wow. My local shops have them for 120-170, installed.

T: The cost of living for many things and services is generally higher in Canada than the USA for a whole bunch of reasons. But within Canada, British Columbia has long been one of the most expensive places. Markets are relatively small, distances are huge. Note that NAFTA is a freer trade deal with the USA and Mexico, not a "free" trade deal. Borders still exist, national and local sales taxes still exist. Time is still worthwhile.

Would guess that within the USA, places like NW Washington State are more expensive than California, for example.

1994SEV6, Thanks for posting prices and sharing your experience getting your front wheel bearings repacked, new CV axle, replacing the leaking caliper. I can remember folks telling me when I was in my 20s that one should get a minimum of 3 estimates for major auto repairs. We're probably due for some front end work so your post was timely.

I have enjoyed good service from small shops. But not consistently.

In this case, I was worried that the short times--one hour as opposed to 3 hours--being offered were 'low bids' or that the shop would skimp on gluing and waterproofing the new windshield but I gather none of you see this as a major risk.

T: The cost of living for many things and services is generally higher in Canada than the USA for a whole bunch of reasons. But within Canada, British Columbia has long been one of the most expensive places. Markets are relatively small, distances are huge. Note that NAFTA is a freer trade deal with the USA and Mexico, not a "free" trade deal. Borders still exist, national and local sales taxes still exist. Time is still worthwhile.

Would guess that within the USA, places like NW Washington State are more expensive than California, for example.

I'm assuming by your avatar you like to fish. We have great fishing here (river or lake) so take a "vacation" and get a windshield installed while you are here!

I'm assuming by your avatar you like to fish. We have great fishing here (river or lake) so take a "vacation" and get a windshield installed while you are here!

Yes, that is a westslope cutthroat trout native to SE BC, SW Alberta, Montana and Idaho. WA state has lots of interesting fishing opportunities especially for steelhead though some of the best are in the SW corner or on the Olympic Peninsula.

1994SEV6, Thanks for posting prices and sharing your experience getting your front wheel bearings repacked, new CV axle, replacing the leaking caliper. I can remember folks telling me when I was in my 20s that one should get a minimum of 3 estimates for major auto repairs. We're probably due for some front end work so your post was timely.

I have enjoyed good service from small shops. But not consistently.

Glad to have helped. I thought I might have been getting off-topic, but if it helped you, then that's great. CV axles and wheel bearings are some pretty common things. In fact, since my truck was inspected 6 months ago, my OTHER CV axle and my OTHER caliper need replacing. These are both probably stock. I have no problem with stock axles and calipers lasting 130k miles. I just wish it happened in the spring.

If you're into DIY, I do believe that there are threads on here for how to do just about anything in the front end. I know that I found a write up on the CV axle, wheel bearings, and sway bar bushings right after I just paid to have those things replaced.