Front right tire vibrating sporatically

jwbehm

My CV axle boot has been destroyed for quite some time but since I have manual hubs and I never use 4wd anymore I put off fixing it for a while. Recently though, the front has been sporadically making a loud humming noise and shakes the entire truck from the front right (same side as bad CV.) It usually happens after hitting a speed bump or bump in the road and will continue until I hit another bump and it goes away entirely.

I am completely stumped as to what could be causing this. The front suspension setup is completely different than my old 4Runner so I am kind of lost. Could the CV be causing the vibrating even though it doesnt (shouldnt) spin with the hubs open?

Thanks for any help!

Jordan

Unless you installed manual hubs on your Pathy, the hubs are full-time engaged, even in 2WD. But what you describe seems like the symptoms of a blown strut. How many miles are on the struts?

As stated above, other things to check are bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints.

Edited by XPLORx4

honestly sounds like a strut issue, no time like the present though to check the whole front suspension/steering for wear and grease and serviceable items. Might be a good time to address that boot and probably by now letting it sit with no grease/protection bad CV joint.

Unless you installed manual hubs on your Pathy, the hubs are full-time engaged, even in 2WD. But what you describe seems like the symptoms of a blown strut. How many miles are on the struts?

As stated above, other things to check are bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints.

I installed warn manual hubs.

No clue about how many miles are on the struts. They are aftermarket and were on them when I bought it. The thing that ruled out the struts for me is that it gets louder the faster I go and visa versa. It completely goes away when I dip below 5 mph.

honestly sounds like a strut issue, no time like the present though to check the whole front suspension/steering for wear and grease and serviceable items. Might be a good time to address that boot and probably by now letting it sit with no grease/protection bad CV joint.

The steering could definitely be the culprit. I have been adding power steering fluid every couple months.

I just finished replacing the entire CV axle. Once I had everything apart I expected to be able to see where something was rubbing but there was nothing. Everything seemed completely normal. I initially thought wheel bearings but there is no play in the tire. Also no play in the steering whatsoever.

I just drove it around and hit a bunch of speed bumps and couldnt get it to do it again. I am hopeful that somehow the CV axle was causing it but that just makes absolutely no sense. I put a zip tie around it to see if the CV was spinning as I drove despite having the hubs open but it didnt move at all. I guess that rules out the front diff.

I also thought it could be something stupid like a loose dust cover hitting the rotor but I think that would be more of a screeching sound.

I guess I will just wait it out and hope that the new cv axle will fix it. I hate problems like this, where you cant know for sure whether or not its fixed. I will keep you all posted. If anyone can explain why a CV axle could cause vibrations on a manual hub truck it would definitely help me sleep tonight!

Thanks for all of the responses, greatly appreciated!

Edited by jwbehm

could have been something that was loose and you tightened when you put the front end back together from the CV job

I have a simular problem happening since I started using my manual hubs. My left front wheel starts making banging noise when I start fast from the intersaction. It only happens with my hubs locked. A 2 months ago I instolled my new struts, new cv boots and did an alighment. I realize that my left wheel is very close to caliper. Could this cause the problem?