Starting Issues

918pathy

I cant figure it out, :headwall: I swapped the starter, jumped the battery, and 75% of the time it will turn over just fine. The other 25% of the time I can turn the key and it will make a "clicking" sound or it will make no noise and do nothing, but there is power to everything (stereo, Windows, headlights,ect..) What would cause it to do that a switch/relay or other? :shrug::crazy: When it does nothing i will hit the starter with a crow bar and it will start :wtf: If anyone has a clue, thank you in advance for your response

Its a crap-shoot some times, I can go out and start it just fine and go to the store and try to restart it to go home, and 2 things will happen it will either start or it wont. :headwall: :headwall: I need some insight please

My gfs truck had this same issue...upon further inspection the + cable running from the battery to the starter was basically broken in half with only a few strands actually holding it together would have to arc to start it...which is scary BC i almost burned my truck up when the cable chaffed and welded itself to the frame melting my battery...but hers was random as well...

Hopefully its something simple like cable loose or damaged

My gfs truck had this same issue...upon further inspection the + cable running from the battery to the starter was basically broken in half with only a few strands actually holding it together would have to arc to start it...which is scary BC i almost burned my truck up when the cable chaffed and welded itself to the frame melting my battery...but hers was random as well...

Hopefully its something simple like cable loose or damaged

WOW!! that's ridiculous. Damn.

Are those cables called fusible links?

Here is what the cable looked like in my 94 before I swapped it, same deal looked like half the wire was not in the terminal:

2pp08lu.jpg

You swapped the starter? Was it a new one? rebuit? used? My PF was doing the same thing and than I did the starter relay mod and it was fine for about a year than it started to not start, tapping the starter would make it start. I pulled the starter and had it tested, passed, had the battery tested , fine, I took the starter apart and cleaned everything than tested it on my bench with the battery 40 or so times and it worked every time. I ran new 4 gauge from the battery to the starter, new terminals and re-installed the starter and it was fine for about 2 months or so than it started to crank slowly until it wouldn't start and than had to tap the starter. Now sometimes it will start other times it won't.

The cable going to the starter is not a fusible link. You can try swapping out the starter relay but if the wire looks bad I would replace it.

I got thr starter used, but had it tested at Autozone 3 times and it passed everytime. The starter had the whole cable harness on it but i took it off and reused my old one, and it still would not start. So i used the other cable and it starts now just not all the time, i am going to check the starter relay. Is the starter relay on the drivers side, cuz i have 2 relays there by the cannister is it one of those. thank you guys so much for your insight and help it is very much appreciated

The issue with having a starter tested is If u have a bad spot on the solenoid it will pass every time unless it randomly falls on that slot while being tested

I have had to "TAP" the solenoid like 2 to 3 times, but mainly just bang the starter. 7 times out of 10 it starts just fine, kinda scares me to take it out in the woods dont want to get stranded. I think I might just have to buy a new starter

I had a similar issue with mine. Have you checked the fusible link? Mine had a loose connection and since I tightened the pins in it I have had no more issues. Another thing that I had was the negative connection to the battery. It was loose when the truck got hot. Seams like when there is a loose connection it will power all the accessory fine but when you try to start it the extra current draw the loose connection will cause a large voltage drop and the car cannot start.

I had a similar issue with mine. Have you checked the fusible link? Mine had a loose connection and since I tightened the pins in it I have had no more issues. Another thing that I had was the negative connection to the battery. It was loose when the truck got hot. Seams like when there is a loose connection it will power all the accessory fine but when you try to start it the extra current draw the loose connection will cause a large voltage drop and the car cannot start.

Soon as it gets light here i will go and check all of my connections, it is probably something real easy like a loose wire

Mine has the same issue, I just learnt too deal with it. But when I started driving it everyday it did happen less often. My problem was the starter not completly disengauging when it would start, didnt make any noise just wouldnt start with out hitting the key a few times.

Edited by nismothunder

Mine has the same issue, I just learnt too deal with it. But when I started driving it everyday it did happen less often. Mine problem was the starter no completly disengauging when it would start, didnt make any noise just wouldnt start with out hitting the key a few times.

I guess it must be one of those things :shrug::crazy:

the previous owner had 2 ground wires one that was connected to a air compressor and the battery and one just hanging, I disconncted the compressor and its ground cable and hooked up the other cable and what do you know, it starts alot easier. The starter seems to spins faster, that must have drained some of the power

the previous owner had 2 ground wires one that was connected to a air compressor and the battery and one just hanging, I disconncted the compressor and its ground cable and hooked up the other cable and what do you know, it starts alot easier. The starter seems to spins faster, that must have drained some of the power

Don't know that it drained the power. But a good ground is essential, a lot electrical problems can be linked to a bad ground or connection.

I have had to "TAP" the solenoid like 2 to 3 times, but mainly just bang the starter. 7 times out of 10 it starts just fine, kinda scares me to take it out in the woods dont want to get stranded. I think I might just have to buy a new starter

I've been almost stranded tons of times because my Schmucks lifetime starter started to fail on my Datsun. Enough hammering got it to turn over, but there will be a point where it will stop working. Every time it was tested at the store it passed and they almost didn't give me a new one. That didn't go over well with me...

I had moved my PF and Sentra into an unused driveway behind our house for the holidays, yesterday I started the PF,cranked really slow didn't think it was even going to start, pulled it around to put in my driveway and shut it off. I than realized our house mate's car was in the spot I park the PF. So I went to start the PF and I get nothing, all I can hear is the relay clicking, so I pulled the wire coming out of the relay from the starter relay mod and touched it to the positive terminal on the battery, nothing, I tapped on the solenoid and starter with the jack rod, nothing, finally let the truck roll backwards a little in reverse, and turn the key and it cranks really slow but starts.

So what does this indicate? Flywheel problem? Starter? I'll be replacing the starter next when I can spare the cash and I bet it will be fine after that.

Hardb0dy, sounds like a weak battery to me. It started slowly because it wasn't getting a lot of power, you shut it off before it could recharge, then it didn't have the cojones to get the motor going. Unless it's making horrible noises it's not the flywheel and I doubt it's the starter. (When mine went bad, the bendix quit working, so it would just sit and squeal.) The only way this could be the starter would be if there was a great chunk of something high-resistance in the starter solenoid. Unless someone went out while it was parked and ran the starter until the coils burned up, it's either a bad connection or a weak battery. (Maybe the door didn't quite latch and the dome light stayed on?)

OP, good to hear. :aok:

Edited by Slartibartfast

For what its worth, in no particular order here are the things I have changed/looked into related to starter issues in my 95.

-changed/cleaned the terminal clamps,

-cleaned/checked/tightened all starter cables/connections

-changed/cleaned the ground cable

-tried a new battery

-did the "starter relay" fix

-changed the starter for a new one, a known working one, and another "high quality" new one

-pulled the cover off the steering column to see if ignition had any play in it that was preventing the key from turning all the way after reading a post identifying that as possible cause.

After each change or fix I was convinced that I had found the problem because it started up fine for a week or two...and then suddenly..."click". Fortunately I started driving with my custom length of pipe, and hammer long ago.

Unfortunately, I still have intermittent "click" problems. I read a post awhile back that there is a very limited tolerance within the range of voltage required to engage the starter motor. I really think there is something to that theory, and wonder if the re-mans, and after market are at the ends of those tolerances out of the box.

I think the list above pretty much covers the suggestions I have found for starter fixes. There are two more I would recommend...

1)Oil filter relocation...there are a lot of good reasons for doing this beyond ease of oil changes, it prevents dripping oil all over the starter which cannot help, and makes starter removal/install easier

2)Whatever the heck the answer to my starter problem is...

:my2cents:

I had moved my PF and Sentra into an unused driveway behind our house for the holidays, yesterday I started the PF,cranked really slow didn't think it was even going to start, pulled it around to put in my driveway and shut it off. I than realized our house mate's car was in the spot I park the PF. So I went to start the PF and I get nothing, all I can hear is the relay clicking, so I pulled the wire coming out of the relay from the starter relay mod and touched it to the positive terminal on the battery, nothing, I tapped on the solenoid and starter with the jack rod, nothing, finally let the truck roll backwards a little in reverse, and turn the key and it cranks really slow but starts.

So what does this indicate? Flywheel problem? Starter? I'll be replacing the starter next when I can spare the cash and I bet it will be fine after that.

It sounds like your starter motor and the solenoid are bad. You would need an inductive amp meter to test the starter. You hold it over the starter positive cable and get someone to turn it over. A good starter shouldn't draw more than 150 amps. I have seen bad starters that would drag but still start the motor peg my amp meter at 600 amps.

Also if the contact plate in the solenoid is worn when the solenoid pushes the bendix out into the flywheel and the contact plate doesn't connect it won’t turn over. When you let off the key if the bendix pulls back the solenoid will activate again. If the bendix gets stuck in the flywheel teeth, because it didn't turn, then nothing will happen when you hit the key again because the solenoid is already in the activated position. By rolling the vehicle you must have turned the engine a little and allowed the bendix to retract.

I'm pretty sure a new or rebuilt starter should fix your problem.

James