To Drive or not to Drive ('93 SE

deanpence

I bought a '93 SE 4x4 in July that had at least one bearing in the rear diff going out. (There's a tone that starts soft and low at low speeds and gets louder and higher up to 60 mph, where it levels out.) I don't know how long it's been going out. I'm getting it replaced next week, but I would like to go visit family that live about 2 hours away this weekend.

Is this vehicle safe to drive? Is it safer at lower speeds? Should I avoid highway driving? Should I avoid long trips?

I know that in the worst case, the rear differential could stop working, which could cause a bad accident, but I don't know how likely this is.

Thanks in advance, folks. Your answers are always extremely helpful.

i dunno man. nissan diffs are pretty good. I have had growling diff bearings in my 240sx for about 3.5 years now (the whole ownership of the vehicle). lol and it has never changed or gotten worse. it is not very loud though so maybe yours is worse ? mine is just a low bassy hum I can barely hear over my exhaust. I would think you would be fine, honestly though!

have you ever checked the fluid level?

Fluid was changed last August; I don't think this guy knew enough to think about checking for metal shavings or the color. A different mechanic later (November) told me there were metal shavings sticking to the magnet, and the fluid was darker than when I'd changed it. Sound too bad for a 2-hour-each-way trip?

Like I said I changed the fluid in my 240sx diff to synthetic . It came out black and had metal shavings on the magnet. I have been driving it for 2.5-3 years now dude. I promised myself I would replace it when it gets a little worse but it keeps staying the same. Take it with a grain of salt, but this has been my experience! I think you would be fine personally but that's just my opinion!

Fluid was changed last August; I don't think this guy knew enough to think about checking for metal shavings or the color. A different mechanic later (November) told me there were metal shavings sticking to the magnet, and the fluid was darker than when I'd changed it. Sound too bad for a 2-hour-each-way trip?

this whole situation is weird...

I've read this post twice and I read your other one. Something seems wrong. These Nissan rear diffs, ESPECIALLY the H223Bs are some of the best ever made. Not like the best for Nissan, no...these are better than Fords or Danas or whatever else there is.

Unless someone took a jackhammer to the insides of it, I can't comprehend why it would be broken. You wouldn't believe the amount of Pathfinders and other Nissans that have gone their whole lives (200k, 250k+) on the factory fluid.

When you talk about metal shavings/pieces, what do you mean? Do you mean minor shavings, or like CHUNKS of metal gears? A chunk possibly might be able to lodge itself between the mesh gears, but I don't think this would send your truck careening through 4 lanes of traffic killing everyone in its way.

If a chunk lodged itself between gears, the insane energy of (4000rpm or something) would shred the chunk. If the gears break completely, it won't be explosive or anything. You just simply won't go. The gears just won't turn. No big deal. You will have to call a tow truck..etc.

Its fine, drive it. Just for laughs check the dust shield on the tranny and see if that is coming into contact with the shaft.

My diff had a palm full of metal bits in it and it never complained. Hell, I can still reach up in the drain hole and scoop stuff out.

But too me it sounds like a a wheel bearing more then a diff problem.

The rear diff is an LSD; it might be relevant.

this whole situation is weird...

I don't know what to tell you. That tone starts at 5 mph and only gets louder and higher as the vehicle speed increases. It's coming from the center of the rear of the vehicle. The wheel bearings could use replacement some time soon, but they're not making much noise. The rear diff is.

The shavings, as far as I know, look like large metal shavings, not huge chunks, but regardless, that tone from the rear diff is still pretty loud at highway speeds.

It's hard to judge, but It doesn't seem to have got any worse since I bought it. I've only driven it about 2,400 miles. (I've been avoiding highway driving.)

Ok, so limited miles and you haven't really tested it, but it's not like it came apart in 100 miles. Can you take it for a 20-30 minute 'test drive' at freeway speeds to see if it starts to worsen? Also, check the temp if you do this (by hand at least) to see if there is a lot of heat/friction.

At this point, I'd guess that that it could be ok. I doubt it would seize all of a sudden without some sort of warning, but you'll have to be prepared to pull over at any time and what do you do if you are an hour away from home and family?

B

Ok, so limited miles and you haven't really tested it, but it's not like it came apart in 100 miles. Can you take it for a 20-30 minute 'test drive' at freeway speeds to see if it starts to worsen? Also, check the temp if you do this (by hand at least) to see if there is a lot of heat/friction.

I have driven it at highway speeds quite a bit—though probably not more than 1/4 of the miles I've put on it. I've just been avoiding it the past 2 or 3 months because a defective differential seemed like a major problem waiting to get worse. It doesn't get worse while driving that I can tell, but I've never thought to test the temperature of the differential. (I don't think the engine temp gauge ever goes above the halfway point, but I don't know if this is relevant.)

My impression of the risk here is that some chunk of metal could get caught up in the differential gears causing it to seize. Since those gears won't turn, the driveshaft won't either. On an LSD, would the axle spin freely at this point? I would guess so, but I'm not absolutely sure.

It's an LSD, so... maybe somebody put the wrong oil in it once, the clutches disintegrated, and you're hearing the bits of clutch in the bearings? :scratchhead:

There are two sets of gears in a differential: the ring and pinion, and the spiders. LSD just makes it harder to turn the spiders. If you blow out the spiders, the diff would no longer drive the wheels, but that only really happens under insane torque (think drag racers). The ring and pinion turn the diff casing (what the spiders are mounted in). To understand how hard it'd be to lock these up, consider this: ever tried to shift and heard the gears grind? Or accidently hit the starter when the car's already running? The gears, which are designed to mesh, can't, because of their different speeds. A little chunk of bearing would have to be perfectly shaped, timed, and placed to have any effect. But if you did somehow seize the ring and pinion, the driveshaft would be locked up, and (unless the truck's momentum against the seized rear end blew the spiders), the axle would be locked as well.

It doesn't sound like your bearings are coming apart in chunks. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't worry about it. If it worries you, drive a little slower, keep an ear out, and maybe check the diff for heat once or twice.

being the new boy in town im shocked to see that no one had told you that if your not sure then dont drive it till its been fixed....... or proper inspected........ to do a 2 hr drive and break down due to a using a little common sence ..... ends up being VERY EXPENCIVE or life threatening

being the new boy in town im shocked to see that no one had told you that if your not sure then dont drive it till its been fixed....... or proper inspected........ to do a 2 hr drive and break down due to a using a little common sence ..... ends up being VERY EXPENCIVE or life threatening

you're obviously the new boy in town because you didn't read anything. This thread was made for the purpose of determining if it was unsafe or life threatening to drive.

I drove it in stop-and-go, 45 mph traffic for about a half-hour twice this afternoon, and after the second trip, the pumpkin and axle shaft were about the same temperature by touch and maybe 2°F warmer than the body—not hot in the slightest and just barely warm. It's not a test of highway driving, but I may do that a bit later tonight.

Air temps have been in the 30s and 40s all day, but it seems like a half-hour is plenty of time for it to get hot if it's going to.

you're obviously the new boy in town because you didn't read anything. This thread was made for the purpose of determining if it was unsafe or life threatening to drive.

my appologys guys (note to self to WAKE UP ) sorry !

No worries mate!! I'll always recommend erring on the safe side myself, but hopefully the guy can go see his family without any drama or danger. ;)

I drove it in stop-and-go, 45 mph traffic for about a half-hour twice this afternoon, and after the second trip, the pumpkin and axle shaft were about the same temperature by touch and maybe 2°F warmer than the body—not hot in the slightest and just barely warm. It's not a test of highway driving, but I may do that a bit later tonight.

Air temps have been in the 30s and 40s all day, but it seems like a half-hour is plenty of time for it to get hot if it's going to.

That is a good sign that it doesn't seem to heat up. Still, it is hard to make a judgement call on the internet. Can you take any audio of it?

B

No worries mate!! I'll always recommend erring on the safe side myself, but hopefully the guy can go see his family without any drama or danger. ;)

That is a good sign that it doesn't seem to heat up. Still, it is hard to make a judgement call on the internet. Can you take any audio of it?

B

x2 safety should come first but tis the season people should be with their family's.

x2 as well on the audio... Interwebs are hard to diagnose and judge severity of noises from at times.