STILL have a loud tapping

1994SEV6

I don't know which belt you are loosening, but yeah, there is the lock nut, and the tensioner bolt. Loosen the nut, then turn the bolt. Sometimes friction in the motion makes such that you will eventually have to push on the alternator or PS pump to get it to move. On my truck I usually end up using a pry bar to get the PS belt off because it's pretty tight (pry against it a bit and then rotate the engine with a ratchet until the belt comes off).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siqx9FemP9E

So there are a few noises going on.

There's the tapping that you can hear when I rev it the TINIEST bit. It's idling at ~1,600 and I assume I'm revving it to 1,750rpm.

There's that rattling or scraping I guess. I thought it might be my A/C compressor since a friend of mine said his S10 sounded EXACTLY the same before his A/C compressor blew up.

I think later on in the video I thought it might be the fan clutch.

I looked at the tachometer several times for RPM reference. Doesn't it seem to idle a little high? I'll check the ECU, but I didn't change it

Edited by 1994SEV6

Loosen off the A/C belt and drop it down out of the way of the fan and see if that helps. Kinda sounds like that idler pulley is bad.

OK. so how do I get the accessory belts off? More specifically the A/C belt. One of the members around here made a good timing belt video, and I saw how to take off the P/S belt, but I can't figure out the A/C belt. It doesn't mention how to remove belts in the FSM or at least the EM section.

nevermind. i looked in the maintenance section and it shows the drive belts, but not exactly how to remove them. I guess the nut to loosen is the one ON the pulley?

Edited by 1994SEV6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwj4ZVxIDmw

Here the A/C belt is off.

I was thinking what if it is the valves? The valves are somehow tapping?

That doesn't make sense though.

If the engine was idling at 1,400 rpm, and the tapping is at a certain speed, then it would be twice as fast at 2,800rpm, right?

Well, that's clearly not the case. Even at 1,600rpm, the tapping is multiple times faster. At about 1,800rpm it goes so fast that you can't even hear the individual taps.

If other words need to be said, the engine is going X speed, and the tapping is going Y. at 2x= 20y. 1.1x=5y?

That doesn't make sense if it was the valves. I think someone said it might be the water pump or something. That would make more sense, wouldn't it? If the water pump pulley is moving, let's say, 5 times as fast as the engine, then that would make sense.

It sounds like it is consistent when you rev it. Is it consistent and louder when you are driving? It could be a lifter but it does sound like a slight rod knock. Remove all the belts so the fan is not making noise and try to pinpoint if it’s from the top end or from under the truck. Just don't run it for more than a minute or two without the water pump turning. It definitely doesn't sound like an accessory though, it's internal. If it’s a rod it will be louder when you drive it. Does your oil light work? You might put a manual gauge on it to verify your oil pressure.

James

Take off ALL the belts. Then try again. You won't hurt it by running a few seconds without anything.

oh yeah. forgot to mention...someone snapped the head off of that bolt that you turn to release tension on the p/s belt. I am terrible at paint or with software on computers in general. But you get the idea. I was looking at the bolt and it looked like it was supposed to be head-less on both ends. I looked more closely and saw a fragment of a thread coming up and figured that the bolt head snapped off. PB Blaster and visegrips I suppose..

powersteering.jpg

Edited by 1994SEV6

whoa dude. get off mah stuff! I didn't think people could see that.

This video was a very poorly put together school project. I didn't know how to use green screen. I tried and it failed horribly.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm going to bring this thread back... My ticking is just too annoying. After talking to multiple people (techs, engine builder) the diagosis was that it was the driver's side lifters. I replaced the driver's side lifters with new ones from Nissan. No change whatsoever. It is concistent with engine speed, does not change when engine is warmed up.

I did notice last night that the ticking goes away when slowing down in gear, engine braking. I was wondering if that info helps anyone come up with any other ideas.

So I'm going to bring this thread back... My ticking is just too annoying. After talking to multiple people (techs, engine builder) the diagosis was that it was the driver's side lifters. I replaced the driver's side lifters with new ones from Nissan. No change whatsoever. It is concistent with engine speed, does not change when engine is warmed up.

I did notice last night that the ticking goes away when slowing down in gear, engine braking. I was wondering if that info helps anyone come up with any other ideas.

hmmm. That's interesting. I think lifters are more of a BS excuse. Sorta like "rod knock". It's just some excuse that a mechanic can use. Of course, sticky lifters and rod knocks can certainly happen, but it's more of a go-to diagnosis.

Yeah, the ticking is pretty damn annoying. I left this thread abandoned until I could find a way to remove my other belts. My P/S bracket is a little boogered up.

I hadn't noticed the engine braking, I'll have to concentrate.

Well actually, if I think about it, of course the noise wouldn't be there. The ticking is only audible below ~1800RPM. After ~1800RPM, it becomes too fast to hear the individual ticks, so it's just one mushed noise. When you engine brake, you aren't usually ever below 1800RPM. At 1800RPM, engine braking wouldn't have a function.

I can hear mine just about any speed, my tach doesn't work so I don't know my rpm's but its always there, like if I am cruising in 5th (5-speed manual) at 40-45 I can hear it, if I accelerate, I can hear it, but if I am cruising at that speed and let off the gas, while still in gear, it goes away. :headwall:

Edited by silver97ex

I can hear mine just about any speed, my tach doesn't work so I don't know my rpm's but its always there, like if I am cruising in 5th (5-speed manual) at 40-45 I can hear it, if I accelerate, I can hear it, but if I am cruising at that speed and let off the gas, while still in gear, it goes away. :headwall:

you can hear the ticking at ANY engine speed??