Snorkel with cold air intake?

shasdakota

so, i'm wondering if this even makes sense? would a cold air intake cool the air anymore than my snorkel already does? would the shape of this cold air intake increase air flow? with a cold air intake, would my turbo heat the air less, and therefore reduce the amount of work my intercooler has to do to get the air temp back down?

i'm thinking about adding one of these:

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

as it is, i have a semi "S" shaped bend in the hose that connects my snorkel to my stock air box. i was going to eventually just rotate my stock air box until it lines up with my snorkel better, but then i came across these universal cold air intakes with enclosed air box.

i know it wouldnt hurt, but i'd rather not waste $$. does anyone think these K&N cold air intakes will help cool my air or increase air flow anymore than the snorkel already does? they run about $90.

i also like the sounds of these things:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5052DK&cst=81515.1.000

silicone treated to reduce moisture, and it also protects your filter from dust. i'm going to try one. i just have to decide if i'm gonna get one to fit my current K&N air filter, or if i will need one to fit this K&N cold air intake.

they come in all sizes:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

When I have my snorkel made, I plan to go with this unit, I'm pretty sure I can make it fit...

http://store.spectreperformance.com/products/productdetail/part_number=9833/2231.0.1.1

If you already have a K&N filter, you may as well go with the Apollo unit, but this might affect you so double check that you won't have any issues.

In the US these filters are legal ONLY for racing vehicles. Not applicable, nor intended for use on emission controlled street or highway vehicles in the US.

B

Oh, I'd have to check one out, but I wouldn't trust the water resistant sock. It merely limits the amount that gets to the filter, but if it is more than a splash, I suspect you could still suck up enough water to have a bad day.

Edited by Precise1

so, i'm wondering if this even makes sense? would a cold air intake cool the air anymore than my snorkel already does? would the shape of this cold air intake increase air flow? with a cold air intake, would my turbo heat the air less, and therefore reduce the amount of work my intercooler has to do to get the air temp back down?

Think about the principle of the unit and my answer would have to be no. Air entering from the outside of a vehicle via a decent snorkel is always going to be cooler than air being sucked in from inside the engine bay, no matter what unit you use.

Stick with an external snorkel and proper hat, as the hat helps disperse rain particles from entering the pipe and you won't go wrong.

I know it was talked about ago somewhere, but whats the stock filters CFM rating? That universal one from spectre was 450CFM. Although I'm sure its something you thought about Precise I'm Just trying to compare.

I do not recall knowing the stock air box CFM rating, other than it is more restrictive than aftermarket units. Does that mean it is not enough?? :shrug:

I seem to recall Mr510 saying that the stock VG30 only needs 280CFM and this seems to agree?? (barely knows what he is talking aboot)

Unit

Number

Required Data Entry

Enter Displacement Type (1=CI 2=CC)

Enter Engine Displacement Size CI / CC

Enter Maximum Safe Engine RPM

Enter Volumetric Efficiency Of Engine % VE

Calculated Results

Required Carburetor Size In CFM

CFM Required 100% VE

CFM Required User % VE

CFM Required (Rounded) 100% VE

CFM Required (Rounded) User % VE

Sheit, that didn't work. Go here and enter 2, 3000, 6000 and I left the volumetric efficiency at the 83% that was default because I have no clue.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

Personally, I'd rather have an excessive CFM air box due to max readings are always compromised, simply by the filtration medium clogging from use if nothing else. Also, using a tall cold air intake (snorkel :) ) with a high CFM filter unit will allow me to make the best use of the Thorley headers. Torque arguments aside, I have generally followed the mantra of taking a reliable motor and making it breathe and fart freely for the most significant, cost effective gains without losing reliability or smogability. When I do my intake mod, I'll bet it accelerates, tows and climbs rocks better than a stock pathy. :tongue:

B

would a cold air intake cool the air anymore than my snorkel already does? would the shape of this cold air intake increase air flow?

Sorry, I missed the gist the first time. As KiwiPete said, a snorkel is as cold and pure an intake as is realistically possible. If you have a forward facing hat for the snorkel, this is the max air flow you are going to get; the faster you drive the more 'ram air' effect you get. Most traditional cold air intakes scoop up air from up front/down low which is a bad idea for anything that sees harsh weather or off road. Even just being in up front is not desired. That said, how often do you get into water more than a foot deep??

B

A Snorkel IS a cold air intake.

The Apollo filter housing does not fit all K&N CIA filters so If you already have one it may not work with the Apollo.

The Spectre Performance filter is the way to go for sealed filter applications with snorkels Its much less bulky than the Apollo and opening it to clean the filter is much quicker.

i'm thinking about adding one of these:

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

as it is, i have a semi "S" shaped bend in the hose that connects my snorkel to my stock air box. i was going to eventually just rotate my stock air box until it lines up with my snorkel better, but then i came across these universal cold air intakes with enclosed air box.

i know it wouldnt hurt, but i'd rather not waste $$. does anyone think these K&N cold air intakes will help cool my air or increase air flow anymore than the snorkel already does? they run about $90.

i also like the sounds of these things:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5052DK&cst=81515.1.000

silicone treated to reduce moisture, and it also protects your filter from dust. i'm going to try one. i just have to decide if i'm gonna get one to fit my current K&N air filter, or if i will need one to fit this K&N cold air intake.

they come in all sizes:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

Wow. You seem to like the K&N site a lot. As far as the filter sock and the blowdryer or drycharger or whatever, you have to understand how air filters are marketed. Generally, the more air flow they let in, the less it is filtered. Putting one of those socks on pretty much takes away the greater air flow, without the reward of better filtering. Just because it is resistance doesn't mean it is a filter.

Everyone above is pretty much correct. A snorkel is about the best cold air intake. By the way, cold air intakes dont cool air, they just get it from a cooler spot. But what does cool air is a turbo.

I don't think you need all of those fancy gadgets just to get cooler air. I think you have it covered. I love it when people put some shiny tubing and a big air filter RIGHT where their stock airbox used to be and then call that a cold air intake.

By the way, what do you have a turbo and a snorkel in?

Edited by 1994SEV6

Everyone above is pretty much correct. A snorkel is about the best cold air intake. By the way, cold air intakes dont cool air, they just get it from a cooler spot. But what does cool air is a turbo.

Actually, a turbo heats the air. When the air is compressed it gets hotter as a result (thermodynamics at work). IF there is an intercooler then the air is cooled with that somewhat, but it's probably still going to be hotter than if the engine were naturally aspirated.

Actually, a turbo heats the air. When the air is compressed it gets hotter as a result (thermodynamics at work). IF there is an intercooler then the air is cooled with that somewhat, but it's probably still going to be hotter than if the engine were naturally aspirated.

Yes turbo certainly heats the air but I think more of the heat has to do with the fact that heat is transferred from the exhaust side of the turbo housing and turbine to the intake side of the housing and turbine.

Exhaust gas being a minimum of 700F in a turbo some of that heat is going to heat the intake charge.

ok. thanks guys.

seem to have confirmed what i thought.

the other reason i was interested in this filter was because it would fit in-line with my snorkel better than my stock air box, which i thought might increase air flow, and i also thought the shape of this K&N filter box was more aerodynamic looking, i thought it may also bring in more air than my stock air box even if my stock air box was rotated to line up with my snorkel better.

about the filter sock, i wasnt planning to always use it, but only put it on if i was driving through heavy rain or really dusty stuff.

1994SEV6- your comments dont make any sense to me... i think you need to do some more research. a turbo definently heats the air. the air leaves the turbo at approx 350*F. and it enters at outside air temp from my snorkel. lots of vehicles use a turbo and snorkel. i guess i dont know what your trying to say... the intercooler cools air, not the turbo. and your right, i am absolutely in love with teh k&N website. i want to make love to the k&N site... am i supposed to feel self-consious about linking to K&N???

MY1 Path- i know the exhaust gas is gonna be around 700*F, but from what i read the air leaving the turbo is going to be around 350*F. am i wrong?

Precise 1- i saw the warning. its ok. i have other mods that arent exactly street legal either...

I also heard that these Apollo air filter boxes arent very water resistant...

Edited by shasdakota

• 3 weeks later...

MY1PATHY, while that is correct that the air would get heated from the exhaust, there is also a lot of heat made from compressing that much air, that quick. I got halfway through putting a supercharger in my 87 pathy and if you blocked the air outlet (as if it was compressing the air into the engine) it got pretty warm pretty quick.