Can I remove my A/C belt?

1994SEV6

From what I understand, the A/C condenser uses energy, even if it's off. My gas mileage is already horrible, so I need to preserve that energy. I never used it, even in the summer, and I'm definitely not going to use it over the winter. Besides that, I think my condenser is going to break soon because when my engine is idling it makes a kind of screeching noise in the back ground. It's kind of like white noise that you have to intentionally listen for over the exhaust manifold stud tapping. I think I have a sound clip, but that's another issue.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could remove my A/C belt for extended periods of time with no consequences what so ever? I might also disable the A/C switch because I realize that if you turn the condenser on without the belt it would pretty much blow up. If removing the belt is possible, would it even help anything?

Edited by 1994SEV6

in my 300zx which used the same motor the only belt i run is a alternator belt...i dont even have a ac or ps belts so you should be dine not using it. You just wont have ac it wont affect anything at all besides give u a little extra power and maybe .5 mpg

in my 300zx which used the same motor the only belt i run is a alternator belt...i dont even have a ac or ps belts so you should be dine not using it. You just wont have ac it wont affect anything at all besides give u a little extra power and maybe .5 mpg

I can take the ps belt off? My friend has a 97 s10. His power steering pump broke. I said, "why don't you just not have power steering?" He said the way his steering box was set up that he couldn't do that.

I guess this isn't true for Nissans?

You'd have to get a manual box/somehow mod the PS box to manual. Ever stalled it while you're trying to turn? The wheel is really hard to turn when the engine (and therefore the ps) isn't running. I suspect edicer's removed his power steering to put that power back to the wheels, and installed a manual box. The noise may be your compressor, in which case removing the belt would shut it up. I'm not sure I follow how turning the AC on with it disconnected would blow it up. What you're calling the condenser is actually the compressor, and the only thing the switch does that I'm aware of is lock up the clutch inside the compressor. If the compressor's not being driven by the belt, locking the clutch will do precisely jack.

So, can't hurt, but if your mileage is really lousy, fixing whatever's wrong with the engine will do a whole lot more than disabling your AC.

OK, the A/C condenser is the radiator looking thing in front of your radiator, the compressor is what the belt turns.

If you're gas mileage is really that bad then taking the belt off won't do anything. More than likely the noise is coming from the idler pulley instead, it is common for those to fail on many vehicles. Pressing the button with the belt disconnected does nothing, trust me, my belt is off right now due to bad compressor bearings (long story). If the a/c works, leave the belt on, it helps with defrosting/defogging the windows immensely. I did not notice any mileage or power gains without the belt.

Edited by adamzan

OK, the A/C condenser is the radiator looking thing in front of your radiator, the compressor is what the belt turns.

If you're gas mileage is really that bad then taking the belt off won't do anything. More than likely the noise is coming from the idler pulley instead, it is common for those to fail on many vehicles. Pressing the button with the belt disconnected does nothing, trust me, my belt is off right now due to bad compressor bearings (long story). If the a/c works, leave the belt on, it helps with defrosting/defogging the windows immensely. I did not notice any mileage or power gains without the belt.

Yeah, yeah. I know it's called a compressor. I was thinking about some other word to use to describe it, but I knew that was wrong. Condenser was close to compressor lol.

My mileage isn't AWFUL. Like, I've seen people reporting like 9 and 10mpg. I'm thinking "...you should get that fixed..." Nah, mine is like 17, maybe 18 or 19 if I'm careful. There's a lot of other stuff I have to do. I'm swapping my automatic for a manual today. That should boost me 1, or 2 if I shift properly. I'm also swapping out my auto hubs for manual ones. Apparently that helps gas mileage? I'm also going to do my MAF since that seems like a miracle cure. I plan on getting a muffler on there..eventually. The broken exhaust manifold studs harm your mileage and performance right? The leak lets out exhaust, and the 02 sensor doesn't work properly?

It's not like I have 10mpg and I'm looking for any and all improvements. I just thought it would help a little bit since it's sapping power.

As far as me thinking the compressor would blow up, that happened to my friend. Again, the guy with the s10. I think he did something to it because he needed to recharge the r134a or do something else..so he took the belt off. Then his mom drove it and turned the A/C on at which point his compressor broke. But, that's probably just because it's an s10 and not a Nissan :D

I would KILL for 19mpg. I'm lucky to get 15 with mixed driving. As far as cutting the belt to help with mileage, when the compressor clutch (magnetic) is not engaged, you're just turning a free wheeling pulley. like any other kind of idler pulley/tensioner pulley. The only drag happens when the magnet engages and it's turning the actual compressor.

Yeah, yeah. I know it's called a compressor. I was thinking about some other word to use to describe it, but I knew that was wrong. Condenser was close to compressor lol.

My mileage isn't AWFUL. Like, I've seen people reporting like 9 and 10mpg. I'm thinking "...you should get that fixed..." Nah, mine is like 17, maybe 18 or 19 if I'm careful. There's a lot of other stuff I have to do. I'm swapping my automatic for a manual today. That should boost me 1, or 2 if I shift properly. I'm also swapping out my auto hubs for manual ones. Apparently that helps gas mileage? I'm also going to do my MAF since that seems like a miracle cure. I plan on getting a muffler on there..eventually. The broken exhaust manifold studs harm your mileage and performance right? The leak lets out exhaust, and the 02 sensor doesn't work properly?

It's not like I have 10mpg and I'm looking for any and all improvements. I just thought it would help a little bit since it's sapping power.

As far as me thinking the compressor would blow up, that happened to my friend. Again, the guy with the s10. I think he did something to it because he needed to recharge the r134a or do something else..so he took the belt off. Then his mom drove it and turned the A/C on at which point his compressor broke. But, that's probably just because it's an s10 and not a Nissan :D

Thats because its a chevy.

No offense Bow_tied :hide:

To be honest it was probably on its way out anyways, I know that almost every GM vehicle my family has had, the compressor let go. Remember GM doesn't make the compressor just like nissan doesn't. I personally have never seen a failed pathy compressor, other than my own LOL. (I ran it with low freon and it overheated).

Edited by adamzan

Not sure if these vehicles are the same, on other vehicles i'm familiar with, when you turn on the defroster the a/c comp cycles. If it does cycle when the def is turned on, I don't know what effect it will have not cycling.

I'm pretty sure it only does if you have the auto climate control. I have the manual controls and it has never cycled. If you're worried about it you could unplug the connector at the compressor and it won't turn on.