'95 SE - Recommendations to fix or replace OEM CD/radio?

shaggy

My OEM CD player ('95 SE) doesn't work - it loads the CD, goes click/click/click, then stops and ejects. I might have another go at fixing it, it seems like it almost wants to work.

The radio/cassette player works, but the LED display has a bad connection somewhere and only lights up when you push on the chassis.

OK, they're junk, but rather than fitting new replacement junk, I'd prefer to get the originals going again. I hate working under dashes, and don't have the wiring diagram even if I wanted to put in a new one. Does anyone have either of the OEM unit(s) that still work? Or alternatively, recommend a plug-and-play replacement?

If you have a '95 SE, you'll know they are piggy-back units - the Radio (with cassette player) is on top, and the CD player is mounted underneath.

(OEM/Nissan part number for the CD player is B8182 89921, and on the front panel is marked PV705. For the radio, it's PN-9661H, made by Clarion, and has 'CK581' on the cassette-loading door.)

Let me know if you've got one or both you want to get rid of. I'll pay a reasonable price if they're in decent shape. I think they'd both fit into a flat rate box.

thanks!

Shaggy

Hooking up an aftermarket deck isn't hugely difficult. I did mine with a plug that slotted right into the factory harness, and then soldered it on the bench to the plug the deck came with. The new plug had what each wire did written on the insulation. I didn't end up using all the wires from the deck plug. (Also note, my 95 had a 94 plug. I don't know if the stereo people confused 95 wiring with 96 wiring or what, but the 95 plug did not fit.) I installed mine with no other parts except the plug and the shrink wrap. Since you've got two holes, rather than one, you could pick up the coin tray that goes beneath on the one-deck models, or some kind of blanking plate setup. Or, you know, full equalizer setup, if you decide to go crazy with the audio. :)

As for getting what you have running, check (and clean) the plugs inside. Your tape deck probably has either a loose plug between the face and the unit or a loose plug/bad solder joint in the face plate itself. The CD player could have anything from a bad reader head to a bad motor to a little switch that checks if the CD's in there that's worn out.

Hooking up an aftermarket deck isn't hugely difficult. I did mine with a plug that slotted right into the factory harness, and then soldered it on the bench to the plug the deck came with. The new plug had what each wire did written on the insulation. I didn't end up using all the wires from the deck plug. (Also note, my 95 had a 94 plug. I don't know if the stereo people confused 95 wiring with 96 wiring or what, but the 95 plug did not fit.) I installed mine with no other parts except the plug and the shrink wrap. Since you've got two holes, rather than one, you could pick up the coin tray that goes beneath on the one-deck models, or some kind of blanking plate setup. Or, you know, full equalizer setup, if you decide to go crazy with the audio. :)

As for getting what you have running, check (and clean) the plugs inside. Your tape deck probably has either a loose plug between the face and the unit or a loose plug/bad solder joint in the face plate itself. The CD player could have anything from a bad reader head to a bad motor to a little switch that checks if the CD's in there that's worn out.

Thanks for the reply. If I can get hold of the exact wiring diagram/color codes for the factory harness, I'll probably end up putting in a new unit. The fact is that my eyesight and my old back will not tolerate hours of under-dash wire tracing BS and cursing. It's always been a pet hate of mine, under-dash work. So finding an original unit would be my preference. Plus there's the satisfaction of it being vintage-correct! Too bad it crapped out, it looks like a quality unit.

PS - yeah I had the lids off both units and had a look. If I find the time and patience I might have another go at cleaning and checking them. thanks

Shag

Edited by shaggy

For wiring an aftermarket, it's not exacty a cut, hack, destroy thing... The 80s are gone :lol: you can get a harness at most parts stores/audio shops that plugs directly into the trucks harness (not even snipping a wire) and it is a simple match-the-colors to the aftermarket units wiring.

I say keep tinkering with the stock unit if you haven't thrown it under a bus yet though. 1 it's the original piece (if that's something your into), 2 YOU fixed it!

For wiring an aftermarket, it's not exacty a cut, hack, destroy thing... The 80s are gone :lol: you can get a harness at most parts stores/audio shops that plugs directly into the trucks harness (not even snipping a wire) and it is a simple match-the-colors to the aftermarket units wiring.

I say keep tinkering with the stock unit if you haven't thrown it under a bus yet though. 1 it's the original piece (if that's something your into), 2 YOU fixed it!

Yeah, thanks! Hey I saw the plugs on Evilbay - is that what you meant? Is the color coding stock Nissan. Even if it is I would still need the wiring diagram(!) Haven't seen one yet (certainly not in the Haines or Chilton manuals).

You're right on the last two counts - I hate throwing stuff away that could be fixed; plus new aftermarket CD players look cheesy compared to the original.

thanks again

Shaggy

Edited by shaggy

Yeah, thanks! Hey I saw the plugs on Evilbay - is that what you meant? Is the color coding stock Nissan. Even if it is I would still need the wiring diagram(!) Haven't seen one yet (certainly not in the Haines or Chilton manuals).

You're right on the last two counts - I hate throwing stuff away that could be fixed; plus new aftermarket CD players look cheesy compared to the original.

thanks again

Shaggy

Wiring diagram is in the fsm...

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/1995_Pathfinder/

It is probably in EL, the electrical section, but I forget. I looked up the wire colours at one point. You also need to figure out what the letter codes for the colours mean. If it's not in the start of the EL section, it might be in the intro to the whole book, not sure what PDF that is (I have a paper copy of the book).

FSM is a better reference, but here's a diagram I scribbled up when I removed my factory radio (so I could hook it up on the bench and mess with it later). Keep in mind this is looking into the back of the radio. I've hooked it up partially using alligator clips and found no fault with this diagram so far.

pathyradio.png

FSM is a better reference, but here's a diagram I scribbled up when I removed my factory radio (so I could hook it up on the bench and mess with it later). Keep in mind this is looking into the back of the radio. I've hooked it up partially using alligator clips and found no fault with this diagram so far.

pathyradio.png

Thanks, that might come in handy!

Shag